Absurd

xtpsrh08123

Howard, 4 Huskies highlight Wooden candidates

4 Huskies for the wooden award LOL

Rennia is better than every huskie listed including Evina . Its clear someone in ESPN/Storrs came up with this list !

The Wooden award preseason top 30 list:
  • Aliyah Boston, South Carolina, 6-5, sophomore, forward
  • Paige Bueckers, UConn, 5-11, freshman, guard
  • Charli Collier, Texas, 6-5, junior, forward/center
  • Zia Cooke, South Carolina, 5-9, sophomore, guard
  • Elissa Cunane, NC State, 6-5, junior, center
  • Rennia Davis, Tennessee, 6-2, senior, guard/forward
  • Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas, 5-11, senior, guard
  • Dana Evans, Louisville, 5-6, senior, guard
  • Vivian Gray, Texas Tech, 6-1, senior, guard
  • Arella Guirantes, 5-11, senior, guard
  • Naz Hillmon, Michigan, 6-2, junior, forward
  • Rhyne Howard, Kentucky, 6-2, junior, guard
  • Lexie Hull, Stanford, 6-0, junior, guard
  • Rickea Jackson, Mississippi State, 6-2, sophomore, forward
  • Ashley Joens, Iowa State, 6-0, junior, guard/forward
  • N'dea Jones, Texas A&M, 6-2, senior, forward
  • Ayoka Lee, Kansas State, 6-6, sophomore, center
  • Kiara Lewis, Syracuse, 5-8, senior, guard
  • Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse, 5-6, senior, guard
  • Aari McDonald, Arizona, 5-6, senior, guard
  • Olivia Nelson-Ododa, UConn, 6-5, junior, forward
  • Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA, 6-0, senior, forward
  • Ali Patberg, Indiana, 5-11, senior, guard
  • Lindsey Pulliam, Northwestern, 5-10, senior, guard
  • Destiny Slocum, Arkansas, 5-7, senior, guard
  • NaLyssa Smith, Baylor, 6-2, junior, forward
  • Unique Thompson, Auburn, 6-3, senior, forward
  • Evina Westbrook, UConn, 6-0, junior, guard
  • Christyn Williams, UConn, 5-11, junior, guard
  • Kiana Williams, Stanford, 5-8, senior, guard

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I can see Christyn Williams being on this list since she had pretty good stats last year, and Bueckers since she's the #1 player in her class. I have no idea what Evina or ONO have done to get on this list. Evina hasn't played in two years and ONO has potential, but hasn't put up enough to warrant being on this list...especially over someone like Janelle Bailey (UNC) or Jessika Carter (MSST)

Up their ass with a red hot poker!!!!!!
hqdefault.jpg

Howard, 4 Huskies highlight Wooden candidates

4 Huskies for the wooden award LOL

Rennia is better than every huskie listed including Evina . Its clear someone in ESPN/Storrs came up with this list !

The Wooden award preseason top 30 list:
  • Aliyah Boston, South Carolina, 6-5, sophomore, forward
  • Paige Bueckers, UConn, 5-11, freshman, guard
  • Charli Collier, Texas, 6-5, junior, forward/center
  • Zia Cooke, South Carolina, 5-9, sophomore, guard
  • Elissa Cunane, NC State, 6-5, junior, center
  • Rennia Davis, Tennessee, 6-2, senior, guard/forward
  • Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas, 5-11, senior, guard
  • Dana Evans, Louisville, 5-6, senior, guard
  • Vivian Gray, Texas Tech, 6-1, senior, guard
  • Arella Guirantes, 5-11, senior, guard
  • Naz Hillmon, Michigan, 6-2, junior, forward
  • Rhyne Howard, Kentucky, 6-2, junior, guard
  • Lexie Hull, Stanford, 6-0, junior, guard
  • Rickea Jackson, Mississippi State, 6-2, sophomore, forward
  • Ashley Joens, Iowa State, 6-0, junior, guard/forward
  • N'dea Jones, Texas A&M, 6-2, senior, forward
  • Ayoka Lee, Kansas State, 6-6, sophomore, center
  • Kiara Lewis, Syracuse, 5-8, senior, guard
  • Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse, 5-6, senior, guard
  • Aari McDonald, Arizona, 5-6, senior, guard
  • Olivia Nelson-Ododa, UConn, 6-5, junior, forward
  • Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA, 6-0, senior, forward
  • Ali Patberg, Indiana, 5-11, senior, guard
  • Lindsey Pulliam, Northwestern, 5-10, senior, guard
  • Destiny Slocum, Arkansas, 5-7, senior, guard
  • NaLyssa Smith, Baylor, 6-2, junior, forward
  • Unique Thompson, Auburn, 6-3, senior, forward
  • Evina Westbrook, UConn, 6-0, junior, guard
  • Christyn Williams, UConn, 5-11, junior, guard
  • Kiana Williams, Stanford, 5-8, senior, guard

I laughed too. Bueckers on all these lists before she’s even played a game is hilarious. She won’t be anywhere close to Sabrina I can tell you that, tired of hearing that comparison. She’s nowhere near as composed as Sabrina was coming out of HS.

Nelson-Ododa is not a Wooden award level talent either. Idk why she’s always on there. She averaged 10 and 8 last year and she was probably the tallest, most physical player in the American conference. She should have easily averaged 15 and 10 in that conference. I’m sure she’ll be better this year as Geno’s players almost always improve, but she’s really not anything write home about IMO. I don’t even think she’s one of the top 10 centers in the country. Against any team that had actual size (Baylor, UT, Oregon, SC) she was easily held in check.

I can see Christyn Williams being on this list since she had pretty good stats last year, and Bueckers since she's the #1 player in her class. I have no idea what Evina or ONO have done to get on this list. Evina hasn't played in two years and ONO has potential, but hasn't put up enough to warrant being on this list...especially over someone like Janelle Bailey (UNC) or Jessika Carter (MSST)

Agreed, like I said I wouldn’t even count ONO in the top 10 centers in the country based on her performance so far. Unless she improved a ridiculous amount she’s definitely not going to be on the mid-season list. I think Nyara Sabally will have a much better year and she’s not on the list either. Surprised there are no Oregon players, Boley should be on there.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
I laughed too. Bueckers on all these lists before she’s even played a game is hilarious. She won’t be anywhere close to Sabrina I can tell you that, tired of hearing that comparison. She’s nowhere near as composed as Sabrina was coming out of HS.

Nelson-Ododa is not a Wooden award level talent either. Idk why she’s always on there. She averaged 10 and 8 last year and she was probably the tallest, most physical player in the American conference. She should have easily averaged 15 and 10 in that conference. I’m sure she’ll be better this year as Geno’s players almost always improve, but she’s really not anything write home about IMO. I don’t even think she’s one of the top 10 centers in the country. Against any team that had actual size (Baylor, UT, Oregon, SC) she was easily held in check.

idk

This is so stupid how this committee would add Uconn players that have not even play ball for them at all.

Reactions: T_Vol376
To me this is just a prediction just like recruiting ranking. I am sure at the end of the season there will be surprises and this list is just to get people talking and more interested in the season which helps their ratings.

This is so stupid how this committee would add Uconn players that have not even play ball for them at all.
Wish it was the lady vols With this much preseason hype. Maybe in 1998, if algore had invented the internet earlier.

Evina.... ?
Are they evaluating on her high school record?

Maybe the two fantastic years at UT ?

Maybe the year off plus two surgeries and watching UCONN play from the bench ?

Maybe her infinite wisdom that “ some coaching changes need to be made at UT “!

This whole list is a joke ! JMO

The criteria for the women's Player of the Year award and All-American Team honors are similar to those for the men. For the women's award, the National Advisory Board consists of 12 members, and approximately 15 candidates are selected for the ballot. The voters are 250 sportswriters and sportscasters.
That's from the Wikipedia entry for the Wooden Awards.
I haven't been able to find out anything about the 12 members who select the nominees, but have no reason to assume links to ESPN.

Naming people this early in the season is useless. At least halfway through the schedule, when we've seen players in action, a nominee slate may make some sense.

As far as freshmen on the list go I'd put Van Lith on it over or with Bueckers. It's not like I am going way out on a limb saying that but I think Hillary Van Lith will have a better freshman year than Bueckers. It's just a watch list it will change

My thoughts exactly. What in the cornbread hell has EW done to get on this list? When has she even played in a game for Uconn?

That's from the Wikipedia entry for the Wooden Awards.
I haven't been able to find out anything about the 12 members who select the nominees, but have no reason to assume links to ESPN.

Naming people this early in the season is useless. At least halfway through the schedule, when we've seen players in action, a nominee slate may make some sense.

Ehh, it's a preseason watch list. No different than the AP or conference preseason teams or preseason POY. Something for the fans to debate over. No harm, no foul in my book.

More to do the the winning history and taking chances that one will break out and continue the streak

This isn't the same organization that has had Guarantano on the watch list for the best QB, for the last 3 year's?

Ehh, it's a preseason watch list. No different than the AP or conference preseason teams or preseason POY. Something for the fans to debate over. No harm, no foul in my book.

I get that these are just projections. The only reason it bothers me is that there are players who have played in college for 2-3-4 seasons and have had great careers and they aren’t on the list. Then you have 4 UCONN players on there and only one of them has ever proven anything in a UCONN Jersey. They have not been the best team in the country for 4 seasons. They aren’t supremely dominant and near unbeatable like they were with Stewie. Hard to understand why they would be rewarded with FOUR players on the pre-season watch lists. I’m willing to wager money that both Caitlin Clark and Hailey Van Lith have better seasons than Bueckers. I think Caitlin Clark at Iowa is going to make a real run for NFOY.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
It may be one of those "I saw it first" inspirations of the list makers
they want to be the ones that "saw it coning" before everybody else did,

I get that these are just projections. The only reason it bothers me is that there are players who have played in college for 2-3-4 seasons and have had great careers and they aren’t on the list. Then you have 4 UCONN players on there and only one of them has ever proven anything in a UCONN Jersey. They have not been the best team in the country for 4 seasons. They aren’t supremely dominant and near unbeatable like they were with Stewie. Hard to understand why they would be rewarded with FOUR players on the pre-season watch lists. I’m willing to wager money that both Caitlin Clark and Hailey Van Lith have better seasons than Bueckers. I think Caitlin Clark at Iowa is going to make a real run for NFOY.

I haven't seen how Clark has done, but Van Lith has torn it up so far. She looks to be the real deal. The reason I have no problem with Bueckers being on the list is because not only is she the #1 player in her class, but she comes in with way more accolades than most other #1's...including all of UConn's since Stewart. Expectations are higher for her than the typical #1, and I wouldn't be surprised if she lived up to her billing.

But I agree that UConn should have 2 on the team max. ONO and Evina shouldn't be on a preseason list.

Exactly. I’m sure the selectors just go by what they think will happen this season. It’s just opinion and we all know about opinions. They are like a$$hole. Everyone has one and some stink more than others.

VN Store

Back