? About Rajion's pass

joshc

CONTRA MUNDUM
I agree with the ref that Rajion did attempt a forward pass, but if that's the case, then how was it not intentional grounding? He certainly was in the grasp of a defender, within the tackle box, and the ball went nowhere near the line of scrimmage.

I agree with the ref that Rajion did attempt a forward pass, but if that's the case, then how was it not intentional grounding? He certainly was in the grasp of a defender, within the tackle box, and the ball went nowhere near the line of scrimmage.

Worley was about three feet away with his back to the ball. So he was in range.

Reactions: 4 people
Oh, ok. It looked to me like he was being tackled so he just flicked it, but I can live with that explanation. Thanks!

Can another player be called for intentional grounding after the QB hands/tosses the ball? Never considered it before....

Can another player be called for intentional grounding after the QB hands/tosses the ball? Never considered it before....

What I heard on the radio was that the rule only applies to qbs. not applied to other positions. FWIW

According to CBJ the play was supposed to be a jump pass...the Old Florida Jump Pass that they used to wear us out with. He said that the linebackers were crashing and they thought they could catch them off guard thinking we were just running the quarter out. The drawback is that the throw was supposed to go to the tight end...not even close. If that had worked, he would still be running, because going back and looking at the play, they sure were crashing and not paying any attention to the middle.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh, ok. It looked to me like he was being tackled so he just flicked it, but I can live with that explanation. Thanks!

That's exactly what did happen. Fortunately he wasn't called in the grasp and Worley was in proximity. We got away w/ one

Was a crazy play! I can't believe we got the call!

I would have been pissed if another team did it.

Although I would have thought intentional grounding applies to any player, the 2013 NCAA rule book makes no mention of any player, other than the QB. The closest thing to a definition is found as follows:

SECTION 3. Forward Pass
Illegal Forward Pass—ARTICLE 2
Approved Ruling 7-3-2
I. Quarterback A10, who is not outside the tackle box and is attempting to save yardage, intentionally throws a desperation forward pass that falls incomplete where there is no eligible Team A receiver.
RULING:
Intentional grounding. Penalty—Loss of down at the spot of the foul. The clock starts on the snap (Rule 3-3-2-d-4) unless Rule 3-4-4 applies.

All other references to "intentional" or "intentionally", with respect to grounding, specifically cite the QB as the offender. If the NCAA intended it to apply to all players, you would think they would have said "player" rather than "quarterback."

Reactions: 1 person
Although I would have thought intentional grounding applies to any player, the 2013 NCAA rule book makes no mention of any player, other than the QB. The closest thing to a definition is found as follows:

SECTION 3. Forward Pass
Illegal Forward Pass—ARTICLE 2
Approved Ruling 7-3-2
I. Quarterback A10, who is not outside the tackle box and is attempting to save yardage, intentionally throws a desperation forward pass that falls incomplete where there is no eligible Team A receiver.
RULING:
Intentional grounding. Penalty—Loss of down at the spot of the foul. The clock starts on the snap (Rule 3-3-2-d-4) unless Rule 3-4-4 applies.

All other references to "intentional" or "intentionally", with respect to grounding, specifically cite the QB as the offender. If the NCAA intended it to apply to all players, you would think they would have said "player" rather than "quarterback."

does it define quarterback? maybe your QB if you throw the ball forward?

ScreaminVol and Vol8188 have good points. The NCAA rule book does NOT provide any definition of a QB.

Just me but I suggest we don't run that play again!

:eek:k:

Tennesseeduke

It is funny how the Cocks are clucking about it.

Butch was asked if they play was in the playbook. His reply was an angry and emphatic NO!

VN Store

Back