Abortion Rights

I recently had a coworker share a life story that made me look at abortion a little differently. I have always been anti abortion and could never imagine entertaining it as a viable option. However, this was posited to me:

His daughter in law is pregnant with her fourth child and is suffering some major complications. In fact, she is making end-of-life preparations and they are going to have to deliver the baby eight weeks early in a special procedure (that only a few hospitals are qualified to perform) and there is a pretty high likelihood she will not survive the procedure. It’s also possible she could make it through. Question: should she go though with this and save the baby? This could result in her death and the loss of a mother for three living, healthy children. Or abort the baby and likely live and be a mother for the three living children? I gather she is going through with the delivery. What a terrible choice to have to make. What say you?

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I recently had a coworker share a life story that made me look at abortion a little differently. I have always been anti abortion and could never imagine entertaining it as a viable option. However, this was posited to me:

His daughter in law is pregnant with her fourth child and is suffering some major complications. In fact, she is making end-of-life preparations and they are going to have to deliver the baby eight weeks early in a special procedure (that only a few hospitals are qualified to perform) and there is a pretty high likelihood she will not survive the procedure. It’s also possible she could make it through. Question: should she go though with this and save the baby? This could result in her death and the loss of a mother for three living, healthy children. Or abort the baby and likely live and be a mother for the three living children? I gather she is going through with the delivery. What a terrible choice to have to make. What say you?
I think you will find many who are anti abortion do recognize the need in cases like this where the safety of the mother is at risk. Even taking religious views out of the equation here it’s a terrible choice to have to make and there is clearly no right or wrong answer.

Many such as myself just want the unborn child to have strong advocacy in the consideration and not just be cast aside as an inconvenience.

Sounds like self defense in this case vs murder. I cant imagine having to make that choice.

My main issue with abortion is how it's used as birth control rather than a life saving operation like the above. Or even rape where the woman had no choice. In either cases there is another "wrong" that could be "avoided" with abortion.

A woman going out and choosing to have sex, getting pregnant and killing her child so she isnt inconviencied for 9 months is where I draw the line.

I say the case you present is extremely rare (thank god) and is intensely pro-life.

How in the world does this rare, and tragic case even begin to change your opinion on abortion on demand?
In this case we have a moral dilemma, that likely ends in tragedy. But if the pro-abortion crowd is right, then there is no tragedy by killing the unborn. No dilemma, no worries.

I think any rational pro-life person would gladly say, we can agree that these instances need special attention. So, let's all agree that abortion on demand is wrong, outlaw it, and let's deal with these rare and tragic cases outside of that sphere. Guess what? That aint going to happen. The pro-abortion crowd loves examples like yours. They love to run to the extreme fringes to try and justify something completely different.

Been there. Done that. Was told Red would not survive if we didn’t end the twins. If we tried to make it then it was almost a serenity that none of the 3 would.
We went rode it out and left it in the hands of the G-d of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

I would never tell anyone else what to do or judge them for it. One of the twins didn’t make it. Red and the other one almost didn’t either.
It’s a decision I pray nobody else ever has to make.

I say the case you present is extremely rare (thank god) and is intensely pro-life.

How in the world does this rare, and tragic case even begin to change your opinion on abortion on demand?
In this case we have a moral dilemma, that likely ends in tragedy. But if the pro-abortion crowd is right, then there is no tragedy by killing the unborn. No dilemma, no worries.

I think any rational pro-life person would gladly say, we can agree that these instances need special attention. So, let's all agree that abortion on demand is wrong, outlaw it, and let's deal with these rare and tragic cases outside of that sphere. Guess what? That aint going to happen. The pro-abortion crowd loves examples like yours. They love to run to the extreme fringes to try and justify something completely different.
I never mentioned it changing my opinion of abortion on demand. I am still opposed to that. It just hit me that when framed in that context I might not be as certain as I thought I was that i would never entertain it as an option.

I never mentioned it changing my opinion of abortion on demand. I am still opposed to that. It just hit me that when framed in that context I might not be as certain as I thought I was that i would never entertain it as an option.
But that’s my point. It’s not at all unusual to consider that given the context and extreme circumstances.

Just as medical advancement has taught us more about the prenatal human experience, it has also given us more info and advancement to minimize these situations. 100 years ago it is likely both mother and child die.

Women can now get Home Abortions during lockdown with new online service that connects women with registered doctors who prescribe drugs to Terminate their Pregnancies

A new telemedicine service is connecting women with doctors who can write them prescriptions for drugs that will terminate their pregnancies.

The coronavirus pandemic has limited access to abortion clinics in the United States, with many state level officials arguing that the procedure doesn't qualify as an essential surgery.

But now, a new service called TelAbortion is giving women access to abortion pills.

'Instead, the study abortion provider conducts a video evaluation over the internet,' and then the patients 'obtain all the necessary tests at medical facilities near your home'.

'The abortion pills are then sent to you by mail,' the website reads.

TelAbortion connects women with doctors to help terminate pregnancy | Daily Mail Online

But that’s my point. It’s not at all unusual to consider that given the context and extreme circumstances.

Just as medical advancement has taught us more about the prenatal human experience, it has also given us more info and advancement to minimize these situations. 100 years ago it is likely both mother and child die.
Then it appears we are in agreement.

"So aftet you scramble its brains do you vacuum it outta me or do I just sort of queef it out?"

Last edited:
Then it appears we are in agreement.
You might reconsider how you presented your position.

Using a little hyperbole, It basically sounded like, I can’t believe I would never consider the facts and tragic struggle that might rarely be involved in having to deal with a problematic pregnancy.

You might reconsider how you presented your position.

Using a little hyperbole, It basically sounded like, I can’t believe I would never consider the facts and tragic struggle that might rarely be involved in having to deal with a problematic pregnancy.
Perhaps that is how you perceived it, but that was not the intention of my post. It was only to provoke some discussion on the subject with a recent life event. Nothing more....

Interesting.

Roe vs. Wade plaintiff says she was paid to switch sides, join abortion opponents

"I was the big fish. I think it was a mutual thing. I took their money and they'd put me out in front of the cameras and tell me what to say. That's what I'd say," she says in "AKA Jane Roe," which premieres Friday on FX. "It was all an act. I did it well too. I am a good actress."

In what she describes as a "deathbed confession," a visibly ailing McCorvey restates her support for reproductive rights in colorful terms: "If a young woman wants to have an abortion, that's no skin off my a**. That's why they call it choice."

Update to this: mother and baby both made it through successfully; the best possible outcome.

The health issue to the mother was the baby was positioned such that her bladder was damaged and harming herself and the baby (my rough interpretation as explain to me). Evidently there is a major artery in the area which made any delivery or surgery highly risky for both. Seems like a minor miracle.

I think you will find many who are anti abortion do recognize the need in cases like this where the safety of the mother is at risk. Even taking religious views out of the equation here it’s a terrible choice to have to make and there is clearly no right or wrong answer.

Many such as myself just want the unborn child to have strong advocacy in the consideration and not just be cast aside as an inconvenience.
These cases are one in a million. Compared to abortions as birth control.

VN Store

Back