AAU thread

Hey Coach, where did you go?

Did you get to spend anytime with your daughter?

In your "professional opinion" could Weathers play well enough for the Lady Vols?

You stated you saw a number of 6'6" girls at the games....Are we in on any of these?

How does the quest go for the mystery recruit?

I sure hope our Keys does not get homesick for N Carolina and transfer....

Reactions: krichunaka
Hey Coach, where did you go?

Did you get to spend anytime with your daughter?

In your "professional opinion" could Weathers play well enough for the Lady Vols?

You stated you saw a number of 6'6" girls at the games....Are we in on any of these?

How does the quest go for the mystery recruit?

I sure hope our Keys does not get homesick for N Carolina and transfer....

Sorry for the disappearance GT, that trip took it out of me started at 5am and ended (pulled in my driveway) at 1:30AM...whipped me.

No, I didn't get to see Hannah, she works in a retirement home and I was around a ton of people without masks during the day and she being pregnant, I just didn't want to take the chance.

I saw Karly play two games, one she was very good in and the team looked great in and one that the team was so overwhelmed, no one looked very good in. But my assessment of her is yes, she could be a good pickup for us. Her IQ is off the charts. She knows where to be and how to fill gaps. Excellent anticipation in defense on filling the passing lanes and a good offensive passer

As far as I know we are not in on any of the 6'6" plus girls except for the mystery recruit. (Jillian Hollingshead)...Jillian began following me a couple of weeks ago and that usually indicates interest in UT.

I have heard nothing re the elder Key, but I feel that is a good thing. I believe she is happy here and much happier to have Coach K at the helm bc Coach K is more of a leader-type coach,, yet still a players coach, in my opinion and assessment.

Here is a little footage of Karoline at war games...hopefully it will load. Most of my phone camera filming was very amateurish but this part looked pretty good...
[VIDEO=] [/VIDEO]

Great video Coach.....Karoline is a hoss under the basket....She did miss an easy lay up or two, but that is forgivable at this time....She looks like a keeper.

Smart about your daughter.......No chance is a good decision.

Sure is quiet around here.....GT.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Watched all of Starz games at War Games including today. Happy to provide stats if interested, but after 6 games I thought it would be easier just to provide a general analysis.

Puckett
Pros: She can score the ball! Looks really strong. Quick trigger on her shot and comfortable pulling up from anywhere. Saw her hit prob 40-50% of her 3s and connected on fast break pull-ups, baseline jumpers, one dribble pull-ups, and free-throw line jumpers over the weekend. She's a shooter, but can also score in a number of ways around the rim. She's comfortable with her back to the basket, but I wouldn't call her a banger. I've been really impressed with her passing, both in high school and in AAU. I've only seen one game where she was really struggling to score, and she immediately went to facilitator mode and racked up 6-7 assists. She's also good for 1-2 volleyball blocks a game.

Areas for improvement: Defense and rebounding. She's a smart defender, but against the really athletic teams she has struggled to keep perimeter players in front of her. I think that will be a challenge if she slides up to the three at Tenn. I think she can be a good team defender though with her length. I also think with her strength that she could be a better rebounder.

Striplin
Pros: Physical and skilled. Not the same rebounder, but reminds me a bit of Bashaara. I was happy to see how quick her spin move is and how quick she can attack from the high post. She's almost automatic from the free-throw line, and it was encouraging to see her hit some long jumpers over the weekend. I think that is going to help her see the floor early in Knoxville. If she could extend her range just a little further to the three-point line, she's going to be a really great stretch four/five. She doesn't shy away from contact, and is active in setting screens and posting down low.

Areas for improvement: She's throws up some wild shots from time to time, although I would say generally she did a good job at finishing. Obviously room to get stronger and finish through contact. Like Puckett, I think she can really improve as a rebounder. Striplin does a great job of boxing out, but she often doesn't "finish" and grab the board. She has a good connection with Sara, and had a few highlight-reel passes to her, but I also think she can improve on her passing/decisions when double-teamed.

---------
Overall really enjoy watching the two of them, and I think they're going to be great additions to our current roster. They're both skilled, play hard, and compete. They're the focal points of their team's offense right now and they consistently deliver.

Also of note, really enjoy watching Karly Weathers for the younger Starz squad. She's a knock-down shooter with a quick trigger and confidence. Good handle and floor leader. Reminds me of Marina Mabrey a bit.
Thanks for the analysis!

Reactions: tnvolfan65
Watched all of Starz games at War Games including today. Happy to provide stats if interested, but after 6 games I thought it would be easier just to provide a general analysis.

Puckett
Pros: She can score the ball! Looks really strong. Quick trigger on her shot and comfortable pulling up from anywhere. Saw her hit prob 40-50% of her 3s and connected on fast break pull-ups, baseline jumpers, one dribble pull-ups, and free-throw line jumpers over the weekend. She's a shooter, but can also score in a number of ways around the rim. She's comfortable with her back to the basket, but I wouldn't call her a banger. I've been really impressed with her passing, both in high school and in AAU. I've only seen one game where she was really struggling to score, and she immediately went to facilitator mode and racked up 6-7 assists. She's also good for 1-2 volleyball blocks a game.

Areas for improvement: Defense and rebounding. She's a smart defender, but against the really athletic teams she has struggled to keep perimeter players in front of her. I think that will be a challenge if she slides up to the three at Tenn. I think she can be a good team defender though with her length. I also think with her strength that she could be a better rebounder.

Striplin
Pros: Physical and skilled. Not the same rebounder, but reminds me a bit of Bashaara. I was happy to see how quick her spin move is and how quick she can attack from the high post. She's almost automatic from the free-throw line, and it was encouraging to see her hit some long jumpers over the weekend. I think that is going to help her see the floor early in Knoxville. If she could extend her range just a little further to the three-point line, she's going to be a really great stretch four/five. She doesn't shy away from contact, and is active in setting screens and posting down low.

Areas for improvement: She's throws up some wild shots from time to time, although I would say generally she did a good job at finishing. Obviously room to get stronger and finish through contact. Like Puckett, I think she can really improve as a rebounder. Striplin does a great job of boxing out, but she often doesn't "finish" and grab the board. She has a good connection with Sara, and had a few highlight-reel passes to her, but I also think she can improve on her passing/decisions when double-teamed.

---------
Overall really enjoy watching the two of them, and I think they're going to be great additions to our current roster. They're both skilled, play hard, and compete. They're the focal points of their team's offense right now and they consistently deliver.

Also of note, really enjoy watching Karly Weathers for the younger Starz squad. She's a knock-down shooter with a quick trigger and confidence. Good handle and floor leader. Reminds me of Marina Mabrey a bit.

Accurate and concise...spot on on all of them

Great video Coach.....Karoline is a hoss under the basket....She did miss an easy lay up or two, but that is forgivable at this time....She looks like a keeper.

Smart about your daughter.......No chance is a good decision.

Sure is quiet around here.....GT.

She followed that game with on of 21 pts and secured the win with 5-6 free throws
I did not get to see Puckett very much after she sustained the elbow, but from what I heard she is going to be back on the floor very soon

Striplin is not shy in contact, not an intimidator, but also not intimidated.
A very unusual post player,,,,the type of athlete that I feel Coach K will have the best success handling, per Coach's personality. And she has a very supportive and strong family,,,that to can help her be Tennessee-strong.

Tore me up not to go see Hannah, but with the C-virus so pertinent in Atlanta and all of the non-masked faces I ran into I felt it unwise to risk it...sigh, I do miss my BeBe though GT....There is simply nothing like a daughter, for a Dad!,,,except for my BB-daughters whose lives I get to be a part of.

Brooklynn Miles will be playing today at 5:30 and again at 8PM at the "Windy In Indy Classic" today...both games will be on ballertv

Let's hope Miles can make a few open looks today....

Or get the ball to some open gunners! She will have some offensive firepower once she gets here and I need her to know how to help get them open and in their spots

But a few open looks would be a major bonus... I like the addition of walker it actually gives Miles a year to become accustom with her and Horston as a junior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Only1COJ
Or get the ball to some open gunners! She will have some offensive firepower once she gets here and I need her to know how to help get them open and in their spots

But a few open looks would be a major bonus... I like the addition of walker it actually gives Miles a year to become accustom with her and Horston as a junior.

Coach Kellie said what she likes about Walker, the new transfer, is she can hit the open look....She does put value on a pg that can score....

Coach Kellie said what she likes about Walker, the new transfer, is she can hit the open look....She does put value on a pg that can score....

I understand that, however her shooting %s were not great and she was a combo guard it seems... i am sure coach Kellie would love a guard who can score but one who helps her team by any means necessary even more. I’m extremely glad she is a LV and I think she is the type of guard we have been lacking and the type of guard that killed us over the years.

Reactions: T_Vol376

Unfortunately, Walker's shooting percentages are pretty low. (shot 38.5 percent (185-of-480) from the field, 31.7 percent (66-of-208) from three and 60.8 percent (59-of-97) from the free-throw line) Here's hoping a good shooting coach can help both her and Miles. I believe these 2 will be willing to work hard to become better shooters. They need to be.

I like the one year add. But her shooting percentages are not good from anywhere. Looks like she will take the shots anyway based on pointS per game.

she was a volume shooter,,,she will have teammates to go-to now so she won't have to carry the scoring load

CONGRATS to Karly Weathers 2022 team who played in the Top PLATINUM CHAMPIONSHIP Games today in Sunmer Showcase in Hoover AL!

Back row, left:
Ed4ykyIXYAIXHFJ

VN Store

Back