A Villanova Fans Perspective...

hdrizzle21

I dont post much un the basketball forum because I am a Villanova fan, but I figured my input could be useful with the upcoming matchup. I am very pumped for the game on Friday. 5PM start is weird but I'll get over it...

After watching both teams this year Villanova is a more consistent team. Tennessee goes through stretches where they look great and then through stretches when they are very bad. If you guys try to run w/ Villanova you will get blown out. Villanova plays 7 or 8 guys and are thin up front...

Harris worries me because of his versatility. But in the end Fisher and Wayns will be to much for your guards IMO.

I look forward to this game. I live 5 minutes away from Villanova and have been a lifelong fan. Good luck in the game and the rest of the season

Good insight there drizzle! Was last night a normal performance from 'Nova? Maybe it was just me but I was not impressed with how they played. UCLA isnt very good and their talent is def down again from their traditional rosters. A good 'Nova performance should have handled that bruins squad easily and the 12-point final spread is a little inflated.

Again JMO. Thoughts?

I dont post much un the basketball forum because I am a Villanova fan, but I figured my input could be useful with the upcoming matchup. I am very pumped for the game on Friday. 5PM start is weird but I'll get over it...

After watching both teams this year Villanova is a more consistent team. Tennessee goes through stretches where they look great and then through stretches when they are very bad. If you guys try to run w/ Villanova you will get blown out. Villanova plays 7 or 8 guys and are thin up front...

Harris worries me because of his versatility. But in the end Fisher and Wayns will be to much for your guards IMO.

I look forward to this game. I live 5 minutes away from Villanova and have been a lifelong fan. Good luck in the game and the rest of the season
The part in bold i disagree with, we're one of the best teams in the country when peeople wanna run with us i think if it comes down to running we have the edge because were so dangerous in transition.

I agree with dooleydiesel...if nova is indeed a 7-8 man rotation, and our bigs can run...then i think a fast paced game really benefits us and our 10+ man rotation. I think nova guards can run well...but their bigs can't stay with ours...just a thought.

I believe Tennessee is about ten deep compared to Nova being 7 to 8 deep. So fatigue shouldn't be that much of a factor. Tennessee is definitely the bigger team. Nova may be able to run well but so can the Vols. This will definitely be exciting and will come down to who has the better shooting night. Go Vols!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yes, that added depth of Swiperboy, Mcbee, and Pearl is huge for us.

Wow tough crowd in here. With the way some of you talk you'd think Tennessee has a program rich in tradition, right up there with the likes of North Carolina, Duke and Kentucky. Those guys may not score many points, but Pearl and Woolridge at least play a little defense. McBee, i agree isn't doing much to warrant minutes.

Wow tough crowd in here. With the way some of you talk you'd think Tennessee has a program rich in tradition, right up there with the likes of North Carolina, Duke and Kentucky. Those guys may not score many points, but Pearl and Woolridge at least play a little defense. McBee, i agree isn't doing much to warrant minutes.
I'll agree with Pearl, he's solid for us and is very tough on defense. No problems with him being on the court until Maymon is eligible. Woolridge has also played well defensively, Pearl needs to cut him off on the offensive end. Fine with Woolridge until McRae is ready to play. Mcbee is a liability and the sooner he is taken out of the rotation the better. Bruce is killing us with some of these rotations though. A lineup of Golden, Mcbee, Woolridge, Pearl, and Fields for an extended period only hurts us.

Good insight there drizzle! Was last night a normal performance from 'Nova? Maybe it was just me but I was not impressed with how they played. UCLA isnt very good and their talent is def down again from their traditional rosters. A good 'Nova performance should have handled that bruins squad easily and the 12-point final spread is a little inflated.

Again JMO. Thoughts?

Defense was poor last night. We have 3 scorers. Fisher Wayns and Stokes will score 50+ a game. The line was only 4 1/2 so UCLA couldn't be that bad. There is nobody in the couuntry who can stay in front of Wayns and Fisher. If you guys can take some charges and slow the tempo you can pull the upset

Villanova needs to be very careful about foul trouble, see the Ohio State-Tennessee game last year. Another team that only played 7-8 players and primarily guards and small forwards against us. Nova is not deep at all and will play a 3 guard lineup, we have a lot of length on the perimeter defensively and Melvin Goins is a defensive nightmare for any teams point guard. I think we are going to go inside early with Tobias, B. Williams and maybe K. Hall off the bench and try to get your center/power forward into foul trouble. In regards to your guards Stokes and Fisher (sic) are very good players, but so is Scotty Hopson and I expect you will see his best in this game and he is more than capable of guarding and playing better than either of those guards.

Jay Wright is a great coach, he is one of the only coaches I have ever watched completely out coach Coach K in a game (NCAA tournament a couple years ago). I expect he will be ready and Nova will have a lot of fans in the house. Don't let our #24 ranking fool you, we are a good team and have a lot of talent.

Also, Skyler McBee is not a bad player and will contribute this year despite what everyone says above. He shot 2-4 last night and everyone makes it sound like he should be playing D2 basketball. Obviously, Coach Pearl doesn't.

I hope our boys make a statement Friday for Bruce Pearl and Villanova is the victim of playing a team determined to play lights out and show the country what Bruce Pearl B-Ball is all about........no way our kids come out unfocused for this one.

Brian Williams and Tobias Harris will be extremely motivated to make this a big win.

I think that TN has more at stake than Villanova.

I think that Fields should be able to give some fouls and get some guys like Yarou frustrated...

The refs have been so ticky tack.

If Fields, Pearl and Woolridge can be very aggressive and get 2 fouls each on their counterparts for Villanova it could have a dramatic impact on the game.

I think it'll be a close game....within 5 points either way

Villanova needs to be very careful about foul trouble, see the Ohio State-Tennessee game last year. Another team that only played 7-8 players and primarily guards and small forwards against us. Nova is not deep at all and will play a 3 guard lineup, we have a lot of length on the perimeter defensively and Melvin Goins is a defensive nightmare for any teams point guard. I think we are going to go inside early with Tobias, B. Williams and maybe K. Hall off the bench and try to get your center/power forward into foul trouble. In regards to your guards Stokes and Fisher (sic) are very good players, but so is Scotty Hopson and I expect you will see his best in this game and he is more than capable of guarding and playing better than either of those guards.

Jay Wright is a great coach, he is one of the only coaches I have ever watched completely out coach Coach K in a game (NCAA tournament a couple years ago). I expect he will be ready and Nova will have a lot of fans in the house. Don't let our #24 ranking fool you, we are a good team and have a lot of talent.

Also, Skyler McBee is not a bad player and will contribute this year despite what everyone says above. He shot 2-4 last night and everyone makes it sound like he should be playing D2 basketball. Obviously, Coach Pearl doesn't.

I can't wait to see Hopson drive the lane and slam over one of their bigs. It'll be ON, then.

Skyar has a slow first step. I admire his effort, but don't think he will ever be a good defender, absent that.

Dude, you don't obviously pay attention. Harris, Golden, Hopson, and Goins play hard and fast alot. Also not to mention, we play fast so we're not gonna get blown out...you might though.

The part in bold i disagree with, we're one of the best teams in the country when peeople wanna run with us i think if it comes down to running we have the edge because were so dangerous in transition.

We CAN run, and are pretty good in transition, but I can't imagine why we'd want to run in this one.

We want a half-court game all the way in this one.

all i gotta say is big baby could have a HUGE game if he decides to play like the beast he was in the 2nd half...hes easily the x factor IMO

OP is right about consistency. For us some of that looks like inexperience, some like lack of ability, and some like CBP is testing lineups to see what he has to work with.
CBP has traditionally circled the wagons and went all out to win these type games, so I expect little if any experimentation. We are physically able to win this, but we are not a very good shooting team.
Can't wait to see this.

The fields, woolridge,McBee,pearl, and golden lineup kills us because no one will score besides maybe Trae but he passes to much.

Brian Williams and Tobias Harris will be extremely motivated to make this a big win.

I think that TN has more at stake than Villanova.

I think that Fields should be able to give some fouls and get some guys like Yarou frustrated...

The refs have been so ticky tack.

If Fields, Pearl and Woolridge can be very aggressive and get 2 fouls each on their counterparts for Villanova it could have a dramatic impact on the game.

Honest question: When has this ever happened?

What games have you watched where Mcmiss has contributed ? He is a foul or a turnover waiting to happen.Oh and on def. he gets blown by alot.

VN Store

Back