A View from Big Ben

London Vol

This week on A View from Big Ben I thought I would have a light moment and record my top five current Head Coaches that I LIKE and DISLIKE. Any past or present Vols Head Coaches are not allowed. It’s not scientific but just what I feel, so here goes.

5. Herm Edwards – Here’s a guy who didn’t coach in college for around 20 years during which relationships such as in recruiting are built and players are socially so different as opposed to then. He also goes to Arizona State that doesn’t seem to win big anyway. All the pundits said he was crazy and doomed to failure, well ASU just may be favourites in their division this year and have also already developed players like Lazard, Aiyuk, Benjamin and the current quarterback Daniels, who looks a stud. Oh, and Marvin Lewis has jumped aboard, more proof.

4. Lane Kiffin – I know I’m going to cop it for this one but anyway please let me try and reason. He was the coach in my first year following the Vols and actually they seemed to overachieve that year, this is proved by Kiffin being very sort after. Now I didn’t appreciate at the time the way he left, but after the next few years of watching the Vols struggle I found myself seeing the bigger picture and wished he had stayed. After falling on his face and seemingly unemployable he took the Florida Atlantic job and made them very competitive. Now the rebuild is nearly complete and I expect big things from Ole Miss in a couple of years. Well I did my best to reason why he is on the list but I guess for many of you the cuts are too deep.

3. Any Kentucky Coach – Well I should have you all onside now. Despite this barren decade we can still guarantee a victory over Kentucky, even Vandy have been drinking at our well, but not Kentucky. Take the last two years KU have actually had a very good team and yet we saved our best overall performance two seasons ago for them and last year our best goal line stand. In short who ever is the coach they just don’t seem to be able to beat us.

2. Les Miles – The nickname “The Mad Hatter” gives you a clue why he is here. Not only did he produce some edge of your seat match calls and press conferences, he also won a National Championship. I don’t understand why he was out of work so long. Then he got the poisoned chalice that is Kansas yet he overachieved in his first season and I’m rooting big time for him. Although just to be competitive will be a success where he is.

1.Ed Ogeron – I know I said no Vols coaches but he wasn’t a Head Coach. Every year at LSU he always seemed to he on the “Hot Seat” and I thought he was out of his depth but then 2019 and Joe Burrow came along. Possibly the best season for a team in modern college history and Coach O will now be a legend in Death Valley. Oh, and I just love that voice…. Geaux Tigers.

DISLIKES

5. Tom Herman – The main reason why I’m not a fan is when he was at Houston all I heard was how great he was and every team were desperate for him. Well what has he done at Texas? (where you seem to guarantee 10 wins) sweet FA and this coming season seems just the same. Remember Gerry Cooney the boxer who went from the “Great White Hope to the Great White Dope”.

4. Chip Kelly – Very similar to No5. When at Oregon he introduced a hurry up offence with a great college quarterback in Mariotta and was successful but suddenly he was anointed as the great inventor of college football. Well it didn’t work in the NFL and then UCLA bought into the misplaced hype and he has been a disaster at a once respected college. In card terms a “Busted Flush”.

3. Jim Harbaugh – We have a saying that a cat has nine lives well how many does Harbaugh have? you fill in the blank. He doesn’t only lose to every ranked team, he gets hammered and I mean hammered by Ohio State (are team I really don't like) every year. Are the Michigan boosters secret OSU alumni? if not, how does this guy keep his job? Oh, and even press conferences are about as enjoyable as a visit to the dentist.

2) Greg Schiano – Suddenly this light heated list has got serious. Anybody remotely involved, never mind keeping quiet regarding the Penn State shame, should no way be a Head Coach. Would I trust him with my kids, no way? I will list another day why I think Tennessee is the BEST College team, but very near the top was how proud I was that you guys stood up to Curry and demanded that the college did not hire him. Even though you were desperate for a winner to arrive in town some things are actually bigger that winning and you guys lead the way. Shame on Rutgers.

1.Kirby Smart – Of course being head coach of Georgia puts him right up but there. But it is more than that. This coach has had an amazing run of recruitment classes from a state quite frankly is unparalleled in High School talent. He has also been in place when the Gators and Vols (his only two real competitors in the SEC East) were in rebuild mode (not any more) and yet I think he has underachieved. As for his judgement, who would you prefer Fromm of Fields? I rest my case judge.

One final note I wanted to include Swinney (so full of himself) and Saben (who just exudes the word fun but you can’t ignore his record so a sneaky respect for him)

GO VOLS

London, you always have interesting reads. While a few names here rile some on Vol Nation, your opinions & facts line up well. As Roger Miller sang: "England swings like a pendulum do, Bobbies on bicycles two by two; Westminster Abbey the Tower Big Ben, The rosy-red cheeks of the little children."

I find it very very hard to like Lane kiffin.

I understand your feelings and appreciate the polite way you disagree with me. I thought long and hard about his inclusion myself but in the end it was true to how I feel

London, you always have interesting reads. While a few names here rile some on Vol Nation, your opinions & facts line up well. As Roger Miller sang: "England swings like a pendulum do, Bobbies on bicycles two by two; Westminster Abbey the Tower Big Ben, The rosy-red cheeks of the little children."

Thank you feathersax, I like the saying and with COVID and BLM it helps to remember a "time gone by" when England seemed more at peace.

While I agree with Kirby #1 for many reasons, to say he’s underachieved is something I can’t agree with. I know we like to say it because he’s our rival coach, but to look at his resume I don’t think “underachieving” comes to mind.
In the last 3 years he’s been in the SECCG 3 times, won the SEC, won a playoff game, went to OT in a National Championship game against Bama, He’s something like 17-1 in the SECE. In 2018(?) they played Bama to the last drive in the SECCG and were left out of the CFP in favor for Notre Dame who had no business there. In other words, the only thing he hasn’t achieved is beating Bama (who recruits just as well) and an LSU team who stomped everyone last year.

London, you said up front that past and present head coaches of the Vols aren't allowed, then included Kiffin. ... ?

Me, I would be more likely to put Kiffin on the least-favourite short list, but that's just me. I like to pay attention to a person's values.

My short list of favourites would include fellows like Ken Niumatalolo and Jeff Monken at Navy and Army, respectively, as well as David Cutcliffe at Duke. I totally agree with you about Les Miles; dude is pure entertainment. And if you're going for the humour of it all, you have to throw Mike Leach into the mix, as well. I mean, he and Les are two peas in a very strange pod.

Heh, cheers for the conversation. Get over Kiffin; he's cancer.

Go Vols!

London, you said up front that past and present head coaches of the Vols aren't allowed, then included Kiffin. ... ?

Whoops how stupid of me regarding Kiffin and Head Coaches, just think of it as not enough sleep and too much wine. I shall now remove him "did I hear a big cheer 4,126 miles away" and Mike Leach who was on my short list, can be bumped up. The experiment with his style at Miss St will be fascinating.

Reactions: wlkx and VFL-82-JP
Chip Kelly always was and will forever be the epitome of the gimmick coach. His holding up of various signs simlutaneously with a screw on one side and an eight ball on the other side was one of his "innovations." He was just far ahead of his time at Oregon, right? No, he won recruiting the state of California with Nike money was his actual gimmick. Once that was cut, his record as a head coach has revealed he is a dud.

Your last post on the depth chart was very good, especially considering you're in London.

Just a little note about Kiffin win % @ UT= .538 7-6 record
Butch Jones 34-29 .539%
Just for reference.

PS
Dooley 16-37 .432%

Shows you the effect of Kiffin leaving in the middle of the night, in the middle of recruiting, UT was unable the hire a good coach with so little time. Stuck with Dooley.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Your last post on the depth chart was very good, especially considering you're in London.

Just a little note about Kiffin win % @ UT= .538 7-6 record
Butch Jones 34-29 .539%
Just for reference.

PS
Dooley 16-37 .432%

Shows you the effect of Kiffin leaving in the middle of the night, in the middle of recruiting, UT was unable the hire a good coach with so little time. Stuck with Dooley.
Nobody made Hamilton hire Dooley. He just said britches and had a good SEC family background. We should’ve hired Cut or kept Kippy Brown on as interim. Out of all the people that contributed to our programs downfall I hold Mike Hamilton the most responsible.

I wonder how much consistency and staying power Ogeron will have year after year. Did all the stars just align perfectly last year for the Tigers and it won't happen again this decade or has coach O suddenly figured it out and about to open up a can of whoop-butt every year? I don't think they will be back in the playoffs again anytime soon, time will tell.

Nobody made Hamilton hire Dooley. He just said britches and had a good SEC family background. We should’ve hired Cut or kept Kippy Brown on as interim. Out of all the people that contributed to our programs downfall I hold Mike Hamilton the most responsible.

Or the idiots that hired him. Tennessee had a string of about 10 years that EVERY hire ended up in disaster. Even Pearl.

Ed Ogeron He's a snake after what he did with our recruits after Kiffin bailed.

I don't care how successful he is, I will never like that guy.
And anyone trying to make him out to be a great HC should keep in mind that that team just tied the record for number of players drafted in one year. I have said it before but will say it again: the average Wal-Mart employee could coach that team to eleven wins a year. It would take a concerted and sustained effort by someone the likes of Botch to get a team like that to lose twice in a season. All the Coach O lovers will be in for a rude awakening this year when he doesn't have a generational QB to lean on.

Or the idiots that hired him. Tennessee had a string of about 10 years that EVERY hire ended up in disaster. Even Pearl.
Actually, I have a theory regarding the Pearl hire and how it affected the hiring of the football coaches . Long story short, we hired mid major football coaches because it was trendy in college basketball to hire mid major basketball coaches .

Chip Kelly always was and will forever be the epitome of the gimmick coach. His holding up of various signs simlutaneously with a screw on one side and an eight ball on the other side was one of his "innovations." He was just far ahead of his time at Oregon, right? No, he won recruiting the state of California with Nike money was his actual gimmick. Once that was cut, his record as a head coach has revealed he is a dud.
I think Kelly actually was innovative at Oregon. Go look at the recruiting classes he had there - he didn't consistently out-recruit schools like USC or Stanford. He was undoubtedly helped by Nike money that made their program more fashionable (literally) and trendy than anything, but that offense he was running and the fast-paced nature of it was innovative. A bunch of defenses they played against didn't know how to handle it at first.

Now, everybody does that and I don't think he continued to evolve.

Harbaugh will get a long leash because A) He's an alum B) He's been pretty successful everywhere he's been. Won at San Diego U, built Stanford, took the Niners to the Super Bowl. C) to fire someone with his record, you need to know you can get someone better. I'm not sure Michigan, even with all of their resources and money, could go out and for sure get a better coach.

IMO, give him a few more years and see if he can get over that Ohio State hump.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Dislikes: 5) Mike Gundy
4) Lane Kiffin
3) Will Muschamp
2) Jim Harbaugh
1) Nick Saban

4) James Franklin
3) P.J. Fleck
2) Les Miles
1) Mark Stoops

VN Store

Back