A view from Big Ben

London Vol

SPRING TRAINING

When Spring Training is here I always think this is the start of a new season and thus a new page in the history of the Vols.

This time of year, reminds of around of Golf. There you are standing on the 1st Tee, you have got your best clothes on, the new driver is in your hand and the last few days you have convinced yourself that this time, yes, this time things will be different. But like the last 11 years despite all the built-up hope and preparation, you hit that first ball and though it started straight it slowly sliced its way to the long grass. Then you remind yourself that you are kidding yourself that things will ever get better. Well this year I believe IT WILL be better, in fact I am hoping that the first drive will land nicely in the middle of the fairway.

Unusually there seems to be a shortage of Early Enrollees this year but I think there will be a serious amount of competition for places, something that has not happened for some while and it shows just what a good job Jeremy Pruitt has done in building a roster with depth.

Here is a list of five players whom I am really looking forward to see how they perform during Spring.

Harrison Bailey – No surprise here, he epitomises the Christmas present that has beautiful wrapping but you just don’t really know what is inside, well start unwrapping.

Dominic Bailey – a player I have felt for sometime that is “under the radar” well no longer. Despite so many Seniors on the D Line this is one freshman I think will breakout this season.

Jaylen “Tank” McCullough – With the loss of Nigel Warrior there are two places available at Safety. I believe Tank finished the season the strongest of the returnees and I believe and hope he will separate himself this Spring from the others.

Darnell Wright – The star of the last class but still had all sorts of trouble fighting off Calbert for the Right Tackle position. In the SEC the O Line is notoriously hard for a freshman to excel in and Darnell, to his credit, was rarely fully fit, so now it is the time for him to show what a star we have.

Eric Gray – Whilst I have no complaints regarding Chandler and Jordan, Gray took the running back position by storm in the last two games of the season. So, was it against two weak defences or the start of a terrific career at Tennessee?

Finally, far more important than any of the above. I wish all in Nashville the best after last week’s awful Tornadoes.

GO VOLS

Eric Gray by far the best RB on the team, regardless of the competition. He’s rushing for 1000+ yards this season and Chandler should be close to 1000. All this could change if we get the stud 5* out of Texas

VN Store

Back