A view from Big Ben

London Vol

No 13 BUSSES

In England we have a saying “No 13 Busses” roughly translated means that you wait and wait for the No 13 Bus then 3 Busses turn up at the same time and you are spoilt for choice.

That’s like this last week for a Vols fan. Just look at this list of good news following good news and its hard to “pump the brakes” regarding optimism for next season

Trey Smith

Choosing to come back for his senior year was top of any list. Personally, I think he may have made a good decision. Next season we will be more successful and thus more high profile which means his performances will be more visible, this should lead to a top 10 pick next year which is his rightful place. Yes, I realise it’s a gamble but given his circumstances anything is a gamble. I can’t wait to see him delivering more pancakes than Don Delfis Pancake House. Also, this decision will cement him in the top three all time Vols with Reggie and Peyton.

Cade Mays

Welcome home Cade. I admit this one stung two years ago, but it only stung because he was such a big loss (All-American Freshman). Reports suggest he will play this year and he has possibly two years eligibility which just makes this news even more sweet. This is a home run in recruiting terms.

Brandon Kennedy

Back for a 6th year to anchor the line for the man most people describe as the most mature lineman on the team (and that’s a line with Trey in it). It was no coincidence that for the first time in a long time he had a run without injury and his performances got better and better. Cooper can now take his time, unlike Morris and Wright.

Offensive Line perhaps it could be named “The Misery Line”

1st team Morris, Smith, Kennedy, Mays Wright. Back-ups Johnson, Carvin, Calbert, Mays C, Lampley, Lane, Aker etc. This is an elite line for America not just the SEC. Eric Gray and Ty Chandler can only salivate at the lanes they are about to get and Guarantano, Bailey and Maurer, the time they will have to pick apart the opponents whilst keeping their jerseys clean. At half time in the 2018 Alabama match Pruitt promised that the team would not have to suffer being pushed around in the future; well that promise is now delivered.

Returning Linemen

We have lost none, that’s right zero linemen for 2020, whilst recruiting Baron, Thomas, Bailey D, Joseph, Mays C to name a few, also who knows maybe Hardy, Gooden is returning from Injury. Add in, that all the lineman will have had another years seasoning in the S & C dept as well as last years’ experience on the pitch. This is beyond our dreams two years ago.

Georgia

The good news just keeps on coming.
They lose Cade and three other linemen, then Fromm surprisingly joins Swift in the draft. Oh, and Zachary Evans changes his mind. I know what they have recruited over the last few years but it does not always result in great players, ask Botch Jones. No one can make a credible case they will be stronger next season.

Alabama

Tua is going to the draft with Jeudy and Ruggs to name a few. It would be hard to predict a win against Bama with Tua but when Emerson “run him down” last season suddenly they became human and very beatable. Bring on next season

Oklahoma

Losing just two players makes this match very interesting next season. Hurts means losing 92.5% of their passing and 38.5% of their rushing for next season and CeeDee Lamb accounted for 31.9% of their passing stats. Are we finally meeting one of our out of conference teams at the right time? Finally, Pruitt, Chaney, Ansley etc have eight months to study film how LSU absolutely stuffed them on both sides of the ball. This could well be a national moment for Pruitts time at the Vols.

Others

No other team outside of Florida concerns me greatly (but treat them all with respect) and even Bryant is out of eligibility at Missouri.

Now I hope you understand the opening line, this week felt like No 13 busses just kept arriving.

No 13 BUSSES

In England we have a saying “No 13 Busses” roughly translated means that you wait and wait for the No 13 Bus then 3 Busses turn up at the same time and you are spoilt for choice.

That’s like this last week for a Vols fan. Just look at this list of good news following good news and its hard to “pump the brakes” regarding optimism for next season

Trey Smith

Choosing to come back for his senior year was top of any list. Personally, I think he may have made a good decision. Next season we will be more successful and thus more high profile which means his performances will be more visible, this should lead to a top 10 pick next year which is his rightful place. Yes, I realise it’s a gamble but given his circumstances anything is a gamble. I can’t wait to see him delivering more pancakes than Don Delfis Pancake House. Also, this decision will cement him in the top three all time Vols with Reggie and Peyton.

Cade Mays

Welcome home Cade. I admit this one stung two years ago, but it only stung because he was such a big loss (All-American Freshman). Reports suggest he will play this year and he has possibly two years eligibility which just makes this news even more sweet. This is a home run in recruiting terms.

Brandon Kennedy

Back for a 6th year to anchor the line for the man most people describe as the most mature lineman on the team (and that’s a line with Trey in it). It was no coincidence that for the first time in a long time he had a run without injury and his performances got better and better. Cooper can now take his time, unlike Morris and Wright.

1st team Morris, Smith, Kennedy, Mays Wright. Back-ups Johnson, Carvin, Calbert, Mays C, Lampley, Lane, Aker etc. This is an elite line for America not just the SEC. Eric Gray and Ty Chandler can only salivate at the lanes they are about to get and Guarantano, Bailey and Maurer, the time they will have to pick apart the opponents whilst keeping their jerseys clean. At half time in the 2018 Alabama match Pruitt promised that the team would not have to suffer being pushed around in the future; well that promise is now delivered.

Returning Linemen

We have lost none, that’s right zero linemen for 2020, whilst recruiting Baron, Thomas, Bailey D, Joseph, Mays C to name a few, also who knows maybe Hardy, Gooden is returning from Injury. Add in, that all the lineman will have had another years seasoning in the S & C dept as well as last years’ experience on the pitch. This is beyond our dreams two years ago.

Georgia

They lose Cade and three other linemen, then Fromm surprisingly joins Swift in the draft. Oh, and Zachary Evans changes his mind. I know what they have recruited over the last few years but it does not always result in great players, ask Botch Jones. No one can make a credible case they will be stronger next season.

Alabama

Tua is going to the draft with Jeudy and Ruggs to name a few. It would be hard to predict a win against Bama with Tua but when Emerson “run him down” last season suddenly they became human and very beatable. Bring on next season

Oklahoma

Losing just two players makes this match very interesting next season. Hurts means losing 92.5% of their passing and 38.5% of their rushing for next season and CeeDee Lamb accounted for 31.9% of their passing stats. Are we finally meeting one of our out of conference teams at the right time? Finally, Pruitt, Chaney, Ansley etc have eight months to study film how LSU absolutely stuffed them on both sides of the ball. This could well be a national moment for Pruitts time at the Vols.

Others

No other team outside of Florida concerns me greatly (but treat them all with respect) and even Bryant is out of eligibility at Missouri.

Now I hope you understand the opening line, this week felt like No 13 busses just kept arriving.

Didn't really understand "13 buses". But I did understand your analyses for the future. I hope you are right. One thing I will address thou, lets not put all the eggs in one basket, We could look at another GA. ST. If we work hard on all things, then what ever Ok. or anyone else is capable of can be handled with good game planning. The fact that Ok., Ga., and to a great extent Ala will be retooling, I think just preparing to play FOOTBALL will be enough for us to have reasonable expectations of winning any game. (except maybe Fla....)

I like your enthusiasm, but this worries me....
UGASports
Just remember, these guy have to be coached to become world beaters. I am not sure they will get that at UGa. If they do, this will be the first time since good old Hershel was there and they won their last Natty. Georgia wastes more talent in one year than most schools recruit in 5-10 years.

Last edited:
All of these changes, both internal and external, seem to favor the Vols going into 2020. But there are a lot of variables. UGA adding a QB but having to retool an offensive line is a question mark. Florida will have another year under Mullen and seems to adding to their roster through the portal. South Carolina had added 5 stars to their roster. UK recruiting has improved this year.

We have added talent to our roster especially at a point of weakness. We will get Gooden back on the DL and added additional talent there. We have lost talent at LB with the loss of Bittuli and will have to play true freshman in the two deep in a lot of places. We still have a major issue with out QB situation and in my personal opinion we will not be going anywhere with JG. He has great talent but does not have it between the ears.

But I think the most important factor for next year will be how this team gels and what kind of leadership is developed over the next 8 months. Hopefully, Trey and Hank will take over their units and move this team up in the SEC.

Reactions: BadgerVol!
Oklahoma

The stats with the Sooners are correct but it's not taking into account the next generation so to speak. Sure, we are losing Hurts, which is painful (no pun) from a production perspective, but he was never a great deep passer. There were a lot of short throws that turned into big gains. Now, you have two QBs coming in in Mordecai and Rattler that will be competing in the spring for the starting job. Mord is a red shirt freshman who's had two years under Coach Riley to develop. Rattler is a true freshman that's had the same. Both were highly rated quarterbacks in high school that have been with the "quarterback whisperer" Lincoln Riley for a couple of seasons. Both have good arms that can get deep into secondaries. Both can scramble fairly well. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top.

Losing Cede is also a big deal, but Rambo is poised for a breakout year. He only had 700 yards of receiving this year, but showed signs of greatness. As well as Haselwood starting to get more comfortable. Combine that with Brooks coming out of the backfield with a 1,000 yard rushing season as well as if Sermon gets healthy and you have some fairly potent offensive talent. Our kicker Brkic is returning as well and he 100% on his field goal attempts. Offense shouldn't be the problem tho tight end is a big question mark with Calcaterra now off the team.

Defense is still a question mark as it typically is. But Grinch has done good things with the defense this year and next year should be even better. Fans like myself are wondering if we are going to do the tried and true Big 12 "score more than you and forego defense" type system or become more balanced on both sides of the ball.

Don't look too much into the LSU game. I don't think they can be beat this year.

The stats with the Sooners are correct but it's not taking into account the next generation so to speak. Sure, we are losing Hurts, which is painful (no pun) from a production perspective, but he was never a great deep passer. There were a lot of short throws that turned into big gains. Now, you have two QBs coming in in Mordecai and Rattler that will be competing in the spring for the starting job. Mord is a red shirt freshman who's had two years under Coach Riley to develop. Rattler is a true freshman that's had the same. Both were highly rated quarterbacks in high school that have been with the "quarterback whisperer" Lincoln Riley for a couple of seasons. Both have good arms that can get deep into secondaries. Both can scramble fairly well. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top.

Losing Cede is also a big deal, but Rambo is poised for a breakout year. He only had 700 yards of receiving this year, but showed signs of greatness. As well as Haselwood starting to get more comfortable. Combine that with Brooks coming out of the backfield with a 1,000 yard rushing season as well as if Sermon gets healthy and you have some fairly potent offensive talent. Our kicker Brkic is returning as well and he 100% on his field goal attempts. Offense shouldn't be the problem tho tight end is a big question mark with Calcaterra now off the team.

Defense is still a question mark as it typically is. But Grinch has done good things with the defense this year and next year should be even better. Fans like myself are wondering if we are going to do the tried and true Big 12 "score more than you and forego defense" type system or become more balanced on both sides of the ball.

Don't look too much into the LSU game. I don't think they can be beat this year.

A fair and balanced reply. My comparison was against the last time we played at Norman you whipped our butts, but this time it could be very interesting.

No 13 BUSSES

Trey Smith

Cade Mays

Brandon Kennedy

Returning Linemen

Georgia

Alabama

Oklahoma

Others

We need a Top Level QB to complete the puzzle. HB may be the long-term answer but I doubt he lights it up as a True Freshman. JG is JG....he's not our answer. Go Vols

Reactions: AM64
A fair and balanced reply. My comparison was against the last time we played at Norman you whipped our butts, but this time it could be very interesting.
The 2014 match seemed more lopsided than it probably should have been. You just didn't have a threatening quarterback at the helm. It seemed like you had 11 players randomly thrown onto the field with no unity of purpose.

2015 scared the daylights out of me in Knoxville. We should have lost that game, but I saw my Sooners come out in the 4th quarter playing to win and the Vols seemed to be playing not to lose rather than shoving their foot on our throats.

I watched your bowl game this year and have serious questions about your offense at quarterback. That freshman running back of yours? He's dangerous.

The 2014 match seemed more lopsided than it probably should have been. You just didn't have a threatening quarterback at the helm. It seemed like you had 11 players randomly thrown onto the field with no unity of purpose.

2015 scared the daylights out of me in Knoxville. We should have lost that game, but I saw my Sooners come out in the 4th quarter playing to win and the Vols seemed to be playing not to lose rather than shoving their foot on our throats.

I watched your bowl game this year and have serious questions about your offense at quarterback. That freshman running back of yours? He's dangerous.

Yeah QB is holding us back for sure.
We lose two big time WRs but there's talent there. Eric Gray is the freshman RB and he is absolutely the best we have.

Our defense should be the best that OU sees until Playoff/bowl season. We were one of the best defenses in SEC at the end of the year.

I just want our OL to be mature enough (and it absolutely should be) to weather all highs and lows. I want them to just go to their bread and butter like machines and just pound away and protect and have tons of chemistry. Working together is SO key for an OL. Not just talent but talent + experience + chemistry = truly top 2-3 OL in the country. I believe we have a shot to be just that.

Unfortunately we have huge question marks at QB. But if there were any circumstances to put a true frosh into the fire, having a great running game and OL and defense to bail out mistakes is exactly what you’d want and what we look like we can BE.

Great post, and isn't it nice to have a lot of things to be happy about?

I told my wife last night that we must have entered the "Twilight Zone" with everything going on. The Vols go on a winning streak, have a great recruiting class and pick up some great transfers. The Titans are on fire and the Preds are playing better with their new coach. Maybe Ladyluck is finally smiling on us after a long dry spell.

I like your overview of the last week, but I cannot agree that Trey Smith cements himself as a top-three Vol. With all due respect, he wouldn't even be in my top ten. Otherwise, I liked your post.

No 13 BUSSES

Trey Smith

Cade Mays

Brandon Kennedy

Returning Linemen

Georgia

Alabama

Oklahoma

Others

Good post. Before the entire OL storm, I had us 7-5. Now, I don’t know what to think. 9-3, 10-2 is not unrealistic IF our QB play improves to be consistent with the potential JG displayed at times this season. Also, still a receiver gap. Not sure about FL though. We have had our butts handed to us the last couple of years.

Last edited:
London Vol always delivers great posts. "Tea & crumpets" with Smokey & trumpets! When's the last time you attended a game in Knoxville? Cheerio & Mind the Gap.:cool:

London Vol always delivers great posts. "Tea & crumpets" with Smokey & trumpets! When's the last time you attended a game in Knoxville? Cheerio & Mind the Gap.:cool:

Thank you for the kind words, sadly Ive only be to New York in the States in 1994 but I can shut my eyes on a Saturday night (sometimes Sunday morning, we are 5 hours ahead of you) , listen to Bob Kesling and be there will you all, no problem.

VN Store

Back