A View from Big Ben: South Alabama

London Vol

I can’t believe that we have already had 11 out of the 12 regular season games, I guess there’s truth in the old adage “time flies when your having fun”. Even though yesterday was seen by many as a cupcake game, there was also lots of clues about the direction of travel we are heading and some insights for what might be in store next season.

What was very revealing was the commitment by the team, this tells us that the coaches got the” players up” for the game and everyone is “buying in”. This season a number of teams have had close shaves and have even lost to these types of opponents just ask Florida fans about Samford, (yes, I did spell it right not Stanford), remember Butch had his Appalachian State and Pruitt his Georgia State. Vegas had us as 28-point favorites and the Bear on College Game Day predicted us not to cover, well we won by 42 and if we had kept the 1st team out for the 4th quarter the differential would have been larger. A pattern has now emerged that we can take care of anybody with ease other than the elite teams and we can scare those. With more recruitment and development of the existing players, next season has so much potential.

QUARTERBACKS
Hendon Hooker was back to his best which makes last week more of an aberration than the norm. His passes were sharp and decisive, it was noticeable that he gave more air on the deep ball allowing both Cedric Tillman and Velus Jones to make the completion. Another improvement was that he used the middle of the field at last, by doing this makes us really dangerous. We have in our playbook a number of designed plays where we throw in the flat and then other plays where we throw deep for one-on-one plays, but if we can incorporate the middle of the pitch then the defense will be even more stretched.
The 4th quarter also gave us a glimpse of the full repertoire of Milton, a laser pass in the flat that would have been impressive even on Sundays, he then nearly broke the fingers of a receiver with a rocket over the middle and of course the obligatory overthrown long ball. However, I do not believe we would have got near 60 points if Milton played all the game.

RUNNING BACKS
250 yards at an average of 5.8 y.p.c. is a good day. Wright confirmed he has improved and Small is fast becoming “Mr. Reliable”. Whitehead had an impressive 60 yards from only 6 carries, this is important because whilst Wright and Small are more than adequate, they offer a very similar skill set akin to Lightning, Whereas Whitehead looks to be more the Thunder and we have desperately needed a big body this season especially on 3rd and 1.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Our big two, Jones (we will mention him again later) and Tillman both hit the century mark and both look to have futures in the NFL. Jalin Hyatt continues to have dropping issues, lets hope he could be one whose “light comes on” next season as he has the tools and with Calloway he will be needed to carry the mantle of the aforementioned two.

TIGHT ENDS

With the introduction of the passing game over the middle, we finally saw what Warren and Fant can contribute with 73 yards from 7 catches between them, this is a season best. Added to their contribution in the blocking assignments, this is a very useful additional “string to our bow” and makes us even more dangerous.

OFFENSIVE LINE
I know yesterday’s opponent was a drop off in standard compared to the last 4 games but South Alabama were renowned to have a good defense, well the Offensive Line took control from start to finish, not only allowing Hooker plenty of time to survey the field but they also created many good running lanes. Some of the pulling by the guards especially Spraggins, stood out. My one concern was for Cade Mays, I sincerely hope he is not badly injured, not only because of the next two games but because he deserves to be the beneficiary of a good draft pick

DEFENSIVE LINE
A solid day at the office for the Defensive Line. They restricted USA to only 1.9 y.p.c and had another 13 tackles for losses (this puts us in the higher echelons in the country in this category). A special shout out to Da`Jon Terry and Omari Thomas (wow, Terry Thomas a great British actor, look him up) added to Elijah Simmons, these guys have the makings of a very good Defensive Line next season. Roman Harrison also had his best game as a Vol and Butler was his usual dependable self.

LINEBACKERS

Strange that Banks did not appear until the 2nd quarter. The Linebackers had some good and not so good moments. We so need a big Middle Linebacker who doesn’t whiff on tackles and shoots the right gap, study hard the transfer portal Mr. Banks

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Warren Burrell had a really tough day against a NFL rated WR in Tolbert who finished with 143 yards. I thought earlier this season that he had progressed but now I`m not so sure, he will need to improve fast otherwise Rucker, Turnage or Hadden will replace him next season. Theo Jackson looks healthy again and was everywhere just like at the beginning of the season.

VELUS JONES
103 yards from 6 catches, 47 yards on Punt Returns and 96 yards on Kicks Offs with a TD, this is why he deserves his own section. This was a career day and whilst I was rather underwhelmed when we signed him a couple of years ago, I will now miss him dearly. I know I have said this before but I would get him to return every kick off even from the endzone as he is the best returner we have had since Evan Berry.

WE ARE GOING BOWLING :)

I always enjoy your comments and observations

GO VOLS

Last edited:
I also noticed some middle of the field work last night and that was good to see. It's been there this season for us to take advantage of, hope we see it used a lot next season.
Hooker looked good last night, looked more decisive and on target.
I must've missed the over thrown longball. Only long ball I remember should have been pulled in by the WR.
I still prefer the way Wright runs compared to Small. Wright seems to be get it and go where as Small likes to dance and look for holes but he was productive last night so can't complain too much :)
WR group is night and day from the start of the season. Coaches must've made Tillman live with the Jugs machine....His hands are now money. Also glad we're using our TE's. That just adds so much more to our offense especially when you mix in a QB that is mobile. So many weapons we can use
We're still going to have to find some DB's in the portal that can cover...

I think the highlight of the night was the guy bowling his helmet HAHAH
TN is back BOWLING LET'S GBO!!!!

Reactions: BigDave
I also noticed some middle of the field work last night and that was good to see. It's been there this season for us to take advantage of, hope we see it used a lot next season.
I must've missed the over thrown longball. Only long ball I remember should have been pulled in by the WR.
I still prefer the way Wright runs compared to Small. Wright seems to be get it and go where as Small likes to dance and look for holes but he was productive last night so can't complain too much :)
WR group is night and day from the start of the season. Coaches must've made Tillman live with the Jugs machine....His hands are now money. Also glad we're using our TE's. That just adds so much more to our offense especially when you mix in a QB that is mobile. So many weapons we can use

Yes good point about the bowling of the helmet, yet more evidence the players are having FUN

Yes good point about the bowling of the helmet, yet more evidence the players are having FUN
Night and day from last season...
CJH has this team believing they can win and beat anyone...
I feel like if we were 2 deep in positions TN would've in the hunt for the SEC championship

Reactions: FïreBall
Overall, the team is playing amazing. My dad and I were talking about recruiting last night. I don't understand why we are not getting better recruits.

There is this 5 star DT named Walter Nolan in Powell, Tennessee. Anyone live there? Can we go offer him an advertising deal to switch away from A&M and stay in state?

Agree on the long ball by Milton. What I saw looked like it was on target and looked like a great pass....good air under it as well. Did everyone else see that as an overthrow?

But do agree, we would not have scored 60 with Milton in....but I am seeing improvement in Milton....perhaps not having spring ball hurt him more than we realize.

Reactions: BigDave
Agree on the long ball by Milton. What I saw looked like it was on target and looked like a great pass....good air under it as well. Did everyone else see that as an overthrow?

But do agree, we would not have scored 60 with Milton in....but I am seeing improvement in Milton....perhaps not having spring ball hurt him more than we realize.
Milton has issues with over throwing the ball, saw that early and from MI film but it's clear that CJH and staff have been working with him...His long ball has been looking a lot better.
I know he gets a lot of hate because of the beginning of the year and that step out of bounds, heck I was saying bench him in the Pitt game but with that being said his passes are a lot better. If he can continue to improve the kid can be dangerous. He also doesn't appear to be a locker room cancer or seen pouting on the sidelines because you know there was some camera guy that stayed on him hoping to see him pouting or looking like he didn't want to be there this season, heck last night after he came out there was a shot of him next to Hooker on the sideline with his arm up like lets go when Moore went in.

Milton has issues with over throwing the ball, saw that early and from MI film but it's clear that CJH and staff have been working with him...His long ball has been looking a lot better.
I know he gets a lot of hate because of the beginning of the year and that step out of bounds, heck I was saying bench him in the Pitt game but with that being said his passes are a lot better. If he can continue to improve the kid can be dangerous. He also doesn't appear to be a locker room cancer or seen pouting on the sidelines because you know there was some camera guy that stayed on him hoping to see him pouting or looking like he didn't want to be there this season, heck last night after he came out there was a shot of him next to Hooker on the sideline with his arm up like lets go when Moore went in.
Agree 100%.

Overall, the team is playing amazing. My dad and I were talking about recruiting last night. I don't understand why we are not getting better recruits.

There is this 5 star DT named Walter Nolan in Powell, Tennessee. Anyone live there? Can we go offer him an advertising deal to switch away from A&M and stay in state?

I have been hoping Jimbo Fisher ducks out and goes to LSU, which would help us sway Nolen back to UT>

I can’t believe that we have already had 11 out of the 12 regular season games, I guess there’s truth in the old adage “time flies when your having fun”. Even though yesterday was seen by many as a cupcake game, there was also lots of clues about the direction of travel we are heading and some insights for what might be in store next season.

What was very revealing was the commitment by the team, this tells us that the coaches got the” players up” for the game and everyone is “buying in”. This season a number of teams have had close shaves and have even lost to these types of opponents just ask Florida fans about Samford, (yes, I did spell it right not Stanford), remember Butch had his Appalachian State and Pruitt his Georgia State. Vegas had us as 28-point favorites and the Bear on College Game Day predicted us not to cover, well we won by 42 and if we had kept the 1st team out for the 4th quarter the differential would have been larger. A pattern has now emerged that we can take care of anybody with ease other than the elite teams and we can scare those. With more recruitment and development of the existing players, next season has so much potential.

QUARTERBACKS
Hendon Hooker was back to his best which makes last week more of an aberration than the norm. His passes were sharp and decisive, it was noticeable that he gave more air on the deep ball allowing both Cedric Tillman and Velus Jones to make the completion. Another improvement was that he used the middle of the field at last, by doing this makes us really dangerous. We have in our playbook a number of designed plays where we throw in the flat and then other plays where we throw deep for one-on-one plays, but if we can incorporate the middle of the pitch then the defense will be even more stretched.
The 4th quarter also gave us a glimpse of the full repertoire of Milton, a laser pass in the flat that would have been impressive even on Sundays, he then nearly broke the fingers of a receiver with a rocket over the middle and of course the obligatory overthrown long ball. However, I do not believe we would have got near 60 points if Milton played all the game.

RUNNING BACKS
250 yards at an average of 5.8 y.p.c. is a good day. Wright confirmed he has improved and Small is fast becoming “Mr. Reliable”. Whitehead had an impressive 60 yards from only 6 carries, this is important because whilst Wright and Small are more than adequate, they offer a very similar skill set akin to Lightning, Whereas Whitehead looks to be more the Thunder and we have desperately needed a big body this season especially on 3rd and 1.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Our big two, Jones (we will mention him again later) and Tillman both hit the century mark and both look to have futures in the NFL. Jalin Hyatt continues to have dropping issues, lets hope he could be one whose “light comes on” next season as he has the tools and with Calloway he will be needed to carry the mantle of the aforementioned two.

TIGHT ENDS

With the introduction of the passing game over the middle, we finally saw what Warren and Fant can contribute with 73 yards from 7 catches between them, this is a season best. Added to their contribution in the blocking assignments, this is a very useful additional “string to our bow” and makes us even more dangerous.

OFFENSIVE LINE
I know yesterday’s opponent was a drop off in standard compared to the last 4 games but South Alabama were renowned to have a good defense, well the Offensive Line took control from start to finish, not only allowing Hooker plenty of time to survey the field but they also created many good running lanes. Some of the pulling by the guards especially Spraggins, stood out. My one concern was for Cade Mays, I sincerely hope he is not badly injured, not only because of the next two games but because he deserves to be the beneficiary of a good draft pick

DEFENSIVE LINE
A solid day at the office for the Defensive Line. They restricted USA to only 1.9 y.p.c and had another 13 tackles for losses (this puts us in the higher echelons in the country in this category). A special shout out to Da`Jon Terry and Omari Thomas (wow, Terry Thomas a great British actor, look him up) added to Elijah Simmons, these guys have the makings of a very good Defensive Line next season. Roman Harrison also had his best game as a Vol and Butler was his usual dependable self.

LINEBACKERS

Strange that Banks did not appear until the 2nd quarter. The Linebackers had some good and not so good moments. We so need a big Middle Linebacker who doesn’t whiff on tackles and shoots the right gap, study hard the transfer portal Mr. Banks

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Warren Burrell had a really tough day against a NFL rated WR in Tolbert who finished with 143 yards. I thought earlier this season that he had progressed but now I`m not so sure, he will need to improve fast otherwise Rucker, Turnage or Hadden will replace him next season. Theo Jackson looks healthy again and was everywhere just like at the beginning of the season.

VELUS JONES
103 yards from 6 catches, 47 yards on Punt Returns and 96 yards on Kicks Offs with a TD, this is why he deserves his own section. This was a career day and whilst I was rather underwhelmed when we signed him a couple of years ago, I will now miss him dearly. I know I have said this before but I would get him to return every kick off even from the endzone as he is the best returner we have had since Evan Berry.

WE ARE GOING BOWLING :)

I always enjoy your comments and observations

GO VOLS
App State is actually ranked 21 in the ESPN power index today; pretty good program. Tolbert, and the other receiver pushed off on deep balls; should have been called for offensive PI a couple of times.

Reactions: LETTERMAN88

VN Store

Back