A View from Big Ben: Nobody is bigger than the team

London Vol

These are crazy times in more ways than one but the news that Tennessee sent a full court press over 2,000 miles during a global pandemic to “beg” a player to stay with the Vols was a bridge too far for me. Lets get a few things straight first.

Do I like To`o To`o: Yes,
Do I think he is one of the best players we have: Yes
Do I hope he stays: Yes
Do I think he will play on Sundays in 12 months time: Yes
Do I believe he regressed this year: Yes
Do I think his performances last season contributed to the current state of affairs : Yes
Do I believe he is bigger than the team: NO

When one builds a house your first put in the foundations which is crucial, then you finish it by decorating it, which are changeable (please no Butch Jones jokes) well a football team is no different. The strongest foundation for any football team including the Vols is that No Player is bigger than the team. The decorating is the addition of 5* stars, but remember some are better than others and they all leave in 3 or 4 years. What they are not is a substitute for the foundation.

Whilst I wish all the players who were not going to be regulars next season and entering the transfer portal good fortune, I have little sympathy for Johnson, Morris and possible To`o To`o because they all have one thing in common, they helped cause this mess by their performances last season. Johnson committed more “neutral infractions and bone-headed stupid penalties than he did sacks, Morris hardly locked down the left side even when his partner was the best left guard in school history and thats when he was playing, To`o To`o seemed completely at sea on passing plays and I understood him to be the playcaller and the secondary seemed out of position many times.

You know lads I would much rather you say “I messed up last year and Im coming back to put it right” GREAT PLAYERS OWN IT, THEY DO NOT RUN AWAY. A quick mention to Cade Mays, I see he IS coming back next season when he was projected a 1-2 round draft pick, Cade you have gone up in my estimation, thank you.

To sum up I would rather play a motivated and “all in” Brooks for Johnson, Calbert for Morris and Eason for To`o To`o. After all, with all these superstars we are not even over .500 in the last four years combined and that’s with a bunch of cupcake games thrown in, so time to draw the line by whoever is in charge at Tennessee.

Players come if you want but Nobody is bigger than the team

GO VOLS

I agree no player is bigger than the team, but even great players can’t overcome poor schemes and poor preparation. I think Henry T gave his best for UT and his performance didn’t reflect his abilities. He wasn’t the only one who was lost in pass coverages. College sports is a business and Henry T should make decisions about his future based on who and where he can improve to make money at the next level. This is where college sports is at P5 institutions , a preparatory level for the NFL for many players. The poor product JP put on the field last year wasn’t a complete surprise to me. Look who was coaching Henry T, how much do you think Brian N knew about coaching LB’s at this level? I hope Henry T come back to play for UT but I would completely understand if he moves on for a fresh start and better coaching.

I agree,Oh that we had a team of Trey Smith's on the ream.Just do your job.The first thing i thought about when Morris said he was leaving was maybe he got tired of watching his man run around him and sack the QB while watching game film.I'm sure he was not taught that.Henry lost weight to make him faster but did sure did hurt him in run defense.I'm sure JP didn't forget how to coach LB's.

Reactions: TJSVOLS
I agree no player is bigger than the team, but even great players can’t overcome poor schemes and poor preparation. I think Henry T gave his best for UT and his performance didn’t reflect his abilities. He wasn’t the only one who was lost in pass coverages. College sports is a business and Henry T should make decisions about his future based on who and where he can improve to make money at the next level. This is where college sports is at P5 institutions , a preparatory level for the NFL for many players. The poor product JP put on the field last year wasn’t a complete surprise to me. Look who was coaching Henry T, how much do you think Brian N knew about coaching LB’s at this level? I hope Henry T come back to play for UT but I would completely understand if he moves on for a fresh start and better coaching.
He will improve100% under Kevin Steele, if he decides to come back

To sum it up, didn’t want them anyway!

in jest,you could sum it up another way, they didn't really want UT, they came for CJP or their own personal reasons. Gone are the days in 90's when players just wanted to don the Orange and represent this great University..Afew teams still have that camaraderie.

Cade was not going to be a 1-2 round draft pick this year, his performance this year submarined that possibility, it was in his interest to come back, though like you, I am glad he decided to do it.

Reactions: Commish14
I always like to read your perspective on the state of our affairs. It's a shame our storied program is in such disarray.

Despite the situation, I was typing wearing my white T Shirt with the checkboard on it, and regardless of what the next few weeks brings regarding coaching I will be wearing it in September God willing, I want the players to feel it is a privilege to wear the colors.

These are crazy times in more ways than one but the news that Tennessee sent a full court press over 2,000 miles during a global pandemic to “beg” a player to stay with the Vols was a bridge too far for me. Lets get a few things straight first.

Do I like To`o To`o: Yes,
Do I think he is one of the best players we have: Yes
Do I hope he stays: Yes
Do I think he will play on Sundays in 12 months time: Yes
Do I believe he regressed this year: Yes
Do I think his performances last season contributed to the current state of affairs : Yes
Do I believe he is bigger than the team: NO

When one builds a house your first put in the foundations which is crucial, then you finish it by decorating it, which are changeable (please no Butch Jones jokes) well a football team is no different. The strongest foundation for any football team including the Vols is that No Player is bigger than the team. The decorating is the addition of 5* stars, but remember some are better than others and they all leave in 3 or 4 years. What they are not is a substitute for the foundation.

Whilst I wish all the players who were not going to be regulars next season and entering the transfer portal good fortune, I have little sympathy for Johnson, Morris and possible To`o To`o because they all have one thing in common, they helped cause this mess by their performances last season. Johnson committed more “neutral infractions and bone-headed stupid penalties than he did sacks, Morris hardly locked down the left side even when his partner was the best left guard in school history and thats when he was playing, To`o To`o seemed completely at sea on passing plays and I understood him to be the playcaller and the secondary seemed out of position many times.

You know lads I would much rather you say “I messed up last year and Im coming back to put it right” GREAT PLAYERS OWN IT, THEY DO NOT RUN AWAY. A quick mention to Cade Mays, I see he IS coming back next season when he was projected a 1-2 round draft pick, Cade you have gone up in my estimation, thank you.

To sum up I would rather play a motivated and “all in” Brooks for Johnson, Calbert for Morris and Eason for To`o To`o. After all, with all these superstars we are not even over .500 in the last four years combined and that’s with a bunch of cupcake games thrown in, so time to draw the line by whoever is in charge at Tennessee.

Players come if you want but Nobody is bigger than the team

GO VOLS
cheers-gif.gif

Cade was not going to be a 1-2 round draft pick this year, his performance this year submarined that possibility, it was in his interest to come back, though like you, I am glad he decided to do it.
If there is a chance he could be drafted, probably should move on while the opportunity is there.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
Evidently HT is planning to leave but just hasn’t announced it yet. And I thought all players would stay if they kept Pruitt?

The program is at an all time low. Players don’t know what it takes to win. Coaches can’t motivate them to do what it takes. Many players really don’t mind losing. Winning is so far back in the rear view mirror you can’t see or feel it. Head coach is too insecure to accept former players talking about winning championships & kicking Bama ass.

Reactions: Alto1 and Hbg
I'd rather have 10 coaches that can coach kids up than. 10 big names that can't coach chiTT. We are the Slippery Rock of college football.

I was not a fan of making Niedermeyer linebackers coach, simply because he didn't have experience there. Maybe that's why Henry seemed lost sometimes. I do think Steele could coach Henry up and make him the best he can be. I felt like the last two years the offensive line and quarterback were the biggest problems on the team. At least Friend is gone, and hopefully Weinke will be as well. Can these two changes in coaches right the ship? Don't know, but bringing in a proven OL and QB coach would, in my opinion, be great places to start.

Where college sports is, is the problem.
It is time for college sports to get back to what they should be, college sports, NOT A FREE MINOR LEAGUE FOR THE PROS. For the kids who have only pro dreams, fine, let them and the pros form a minor league. That will allow collage sports to become just what it should be kids playing a game they love AND getting an education for a life that they know will not include pro sports. Yes, there will be some of this latter group who will make it to the "bigs", but after four years of schooling. This moving from one program to another "just to play" must be stopped, it is making a farce out of everything that higher education stand for. Here again I say, LET THE MINOR LEAGUE BALL PLAYERS GO TO A MINOR LEAGUE. LET STUDENT ATHLETES OG TO SCHOOL AND PLAY GAMES.

Where college sports is, is the problem.
It is time for college sports to get back to what they should be, college sports, NOT A FREE MINOR LEAGUE FOR THE PROS. For the kids who have only pro dreams, fine, let them and the pros form a minor league. That will allow collage sports to become just what it should be kids playing a game they love AND getting an education for a life that they know will not include pro sports. Yes, there will be some of this latter group who will make it to the "bigs", but after four years of schooling. This moving from one program to another "just to play" must be stopped, it is making a farce out of everything that higher education stand for. Here again I say, LET THE MINOR LEAGUE BALL PLAYERS GO TO A MINOR LEAGUE. LET STUDENT ATHLETES OG TO SCHOOL AND PLAY GAMES.
You replace the money lost with your plan and get back to us.

If there is a chance he could be drafted, probably should move on while the opportunity is there.
It’ll be there next year. 6’8 big body with athleticism doesn’t go out of style.

You replace the money lost with your plan and get back to us.

Again, this is a problem. It's becoming all about money, not sports. Maybe some money would disappear but it's not about the money, it's about amateur sports, not a minor league for the pros.

Just playing devil’s advocate, if this were say a Peyton Manning or Al Wilson on this current team in Henry T’s situation, would we still say the same things about them? Some players actually are worth begging and fighting for imo. It does show the coaches at least care enough about you even though the season didn’t go as planned.

Full Disclosure: I am in no way putting Henry T in Manning’s or Wilson’s world as football players. I am just playing the other side of it, whenever a potential generational talent is at stake.

Again, this is a problem. It's becoming all about money, not sports. Maybe some money would disappear but it's not about the money, it's about amateur sports, not a minor league for the pros.
Genies and going back and bottles kind of thing. The way of the leather helmet and one platoon football. “Some”?...we’re talking BILLIONS. NFL doesn’t get a dime of that...they just benefit.

VN Store

Back