A View from Big Ben: Napoleon and Hooker, Oklahoma's turn, Cincinnati no thanks

I’m not on the Cincy bandwagon but they are better than some give them credit. They have four players projected to be drafted in the first three rounds of the 2022 draft which is more than 10 SEC teams - so they have some elite talent. One of their corners iss projected to go in first round and the other in the second - so they have better corners than what Bama faced last weekend against Georgia. Of course they don't have Georgia’s from seven and haven’t faced a QB receiver combo like they will see from Bama but still, they are a solid team.

I think Bama will try to run behind their big OL and force Cincy to commit to stopping the run - not so much so that they can attack the #1 and #2 DBs in man to man coverage but so they can attack the #3-5 cover guys. Bama’s got plenty of young talented receivers who are gonna get a chance to shine. Of course keep in mind that Georgia was unable to just run over Cincy last year but the level of motivation was significantly different in that game compared to what it will be on the 31st.

I think it will be a close game early on as Bama probes their D for tendencies but just as they did with Georgia last Saturday, once they see how the D is going to react they will light them up - maybe by scoring 4 times in the second quarter (As they did against Georgia).

It’s a long story but to summise my football team is Blackpool who play in Orange and White , any clues yet😉
I don’t keep up with Soccer like I used to do. But I remember Charlie Adam playing well there. Really underrated atmosphere as well I love that drum they do.

I don’t keep up with Soccer like I used to do. But I remember Charlie Adam playing well there. Really underrated atmosphere as well I love that drum they do.
Blackpools ground Bloomffield Road only holds 15,000 but just like The General Neyland the atmosphere is unique
Now that’s a shirt. Wow beautiful
Lukeneyland you are spoiling me with a Sir Stanley Matthews replica shirt from winning the cup in 1953, its Blackpools Vols 2008 moment.

Reactions: lukeneyland
I have and they sound interesting

see post #35, I should add though Paris and Normandy (the American cemetery at Omaha is spectacular) are great places to visit
It’s called having good sense. You are right. Go with your instincts here. Let the hate flow through you.
Advice noted :) Its weird I just took a dislike back in 2009 but I cant deny its there

You just created a Blackpool fan here in Tennessee. I'll start following.
After the last 12 years following the Vols you sure are a sucker for punishment if you follow Blackpool as well :) but the passion of the fans is real and if you download on You tube "Allez allez Blackpool" and go to "Blackpool FCs Seaside Barmy Army singing Allez Allez Allez at Half Time at Birmingham City" you will get a sample:

We follow Blackpool FC
We come from the Seaside
We`re the only team in Football
In Orange and White

The boycott years were hard
We carried heavy loads
But now your hear us singing
From the stands of Bloomfield Road

Allez, Allez Allez ..............

Last edited:
NAPOLEON BONAPARTE WOULD LIKE HENDON HOOKER

A man was being recommended for promotion to Napoleon, who was quoted as saying “I know he is a good General, but is he lucky?” The French General knew the importance of luck.

At the end of Spring Camp Harrison Bailey was anointed as the leader in the quarterback stable. Then throughout Fall Camp it was widely reported that Joe Milton was the No 1 quarterback and it actually wasn’t even close.

Fast forward to early in the 2nd quarter of the second game of the season which was against Pittsburgh, Milton was first sacked then fumbled but more importantly he suffered a lower leg injury. Without that, when if at all, would Josh Heupel have turned to Hendon Hooker? The injury forced Heupel’s hand and as they say “the rest is history”.

Now Coach Heupel may have made the switch soon after this moment but the truth is we will never know. But what we do know is that, this time Josh Heupel was lucky

WHAT GOES ROUND COMES ROUND - OKLAHOMA

12 months ago, Tennessee was in free fall with players tripping over himself rushing to the door marked “EXIT”. Like any good buzzard circling the dying carcass Oklahoma swooped in and helped themselves to the best meat, or to be exact Morris, Gray and Lawrence. Well 12 months later Oklahoma find themselves with their franchise quarterback and projected No1 pick in the 2022 drafts in the transfer portal. The head coach fleas to USC who also hope to cherry pick the best coaches at OU to go with him. Now reports suggest a mass exodus of players is about happen and all this at the worst time as the First National Signing Day is only less than 2 weeks away. Oh, and Tennessee who are riding a new wave of optimism after an impressive season are now well placed to “return the compliment” and exercise the old adage “what goes round comes round” and swoop in for the players we fancy.

CINCINNATI IN THE PLAY OFFS IS NOT GOOD FOR FOOTBALL

I guess today Cincinnati will be awarded a place in the Play Offs, whilst congratulations to them, it is not good for the fans or many Universities in my opinion.

Football is at its best when the teams are evenly matched and basically you don’t know who will win until maybe the last play. This is proven by the groans every year when Big 5 teams announce 3 cupcake games. These games are usually poorly attended (not good for the University coffers) These games do not draw big TV audiences (not good for the TV companies and then it will affect how much they pay for the TV rights) These games are not good for the fans attending as they are normally nothing more than a glorified scrimmage (Forgetting the result, what was more of a spectacle this season Ole Miss or South Alabama?)

Now back to the title, Cincinnati had the 96th strongest schedule this season before yesterday, Tennessee’s was 5th by the way. Now that schedule is like The Vols playing 10 cupcake games as well as Vanderbilt (Indiana) and Ole Miss (Notre Dame). The only toss up game on that schedule would be Ole Miss hence that be only chance to stop us posting a perfect season and then, thanks to the current system, a play-off place.

Now look at Ohio State (I really don’t like them for some reason but I will not allow this to cloud my judgement) They went 10–2 this season. They lost to possibly the No1 team in the rankings in Michigan as well as Oregon who reached their own championship. If OSU had scheduled say Savannah State instead of Oregon, they would have been 11-1 and most probably been selected above The Bearcats for the play offs (I also believe they would are a much better team than Cincinnati). They must be kicking themselves for providing a great match against Oregon and this will no doubt be reflected in their future scheduling this will be to the detriment of football.

Back to Tennessee,this week could be very interesting who will commit, both from High School as well as the Portal.

I always enjoy your comments and observations

GO VOLS

Fleas: (noun) a small wingless jumping insect which feeds on the blood of mammals and birds. It sometimes transmits diseases through its bite, including plague and myxomatosis.

Flee: verb 3rd person present: flees
run away from a place or situation of danger.
"a man was shot twice as he fled from five masked youths"

And how often does an englishman get a lesson in english from we who usually butcher the king's english?

@London Vol, keep posting from across the pond. You are rightfully assimilated into the Big Orange.

I do differ with your opinion of Cincinnati's inclusion in the CFP. I like what Luke Fickel is doing with that program and this year's Bearcats. The CFP committee is political. The inclusion of Cinci is very likely intended to temper the expression of disaffection from the members of the G5 and their proponents. The play to keep the status quo and their own continuance is not lost upon the casually observant. Setting those considerations aside, the scrappy 2021 Bearcats are as good a G5 candidate as I've seen since the inception of of the CFP. Given that they're paired with Bama, I am rooting for their improbable victory.

F8F-2-bearcat-rmdb.jpg

And how often does an englishman [Englishman, respectfully] get a lesson in english [English] from we who usually butcher the king's english [King's English]?

Sir, we Americans do not speak nor write "proper English." We employ a pidgin of the language and have the audacity to produce our own dictionary of it.

Always love your posts, but disagree with a few things here

A small nitpick is calling Rattler OK’s franchise QB. He was displaced, no one in Norman is sad to see him leave

My bigger complaint is saying Cincy being in the playoff is bad for football. Huge disagree. At the end of the day, wins and losses matter. Ohio state lost to an Oregon team at home that is significantly worse than the notre dame team Cincy beat on the road. Continuing to exclude Group of 5 teams from the playoffs is a self fulfilling prophecy, because coaches realize they can’t reach the pinnacle so they leave, and administrators realize the same thing so they try and move up to the bigger conferences. This makes it so the Group of 5 conferences fall even further behind. I for one am happy to see a 12-0 Cincy team that won @notre dame and just beat a really good Houston squad rewarded for their efforts, and I hope they stomp Alabama and Georgia on the way to a Natty
I agree with this. It is huge for college football for Cincy to be there and I will be rooting for them to win. In fact, the only way I will watch the NC game will be if they or Michigan are in it. I have zero interest in watching Bama and Ga again. Anyone think that NCState and Jimmy V hold beat that great Houston team? Many people complained that NCSt didn’t even deserve to be there. Here’s hoping the huge underdog makes us all proud. Also, BYU went undefeated, won the NC and had to play a 6-6 Michigan team due to contractual bowl tie in. I remember people saying they were unworthy. Go Bearcats, shock the world.

Reactions: Vol49er
I agree with this. It is huge for college football for Cincy to be there and I will be rooting for them to win. In fact, the only way I will watch the NC game will be if they or Michigan are in it. I have zero interest in watching Bama and Ga again. Anyone think that NCState and Jimmy V hold beat that great Houston team? Many people complained that NCSt didn’t even deserve to be there. Here’s hoping the huge underdog makes us all proud. Also, BYU went undefeated, won the NC and had to play a 6-6 Michigan team due to contractual bowl tie in. I remember people saying they were unworthy. Go Bearcats, shock the world.

Great posts both beamerman and Vol49er, one of the things that I love about the Vols fan base is that we can always disagree but be civil doing it. I call it "A VIEW FROM BIG BEN" because that is all im offering, A VIEW.

I agree with both of you as I felt for somewhile that the playoffs were a "political closed shop" and I will be delighted if Cincy win it all as they did everything that was asked of them. The original point which I did not clarify well was that: do you think Cincinnati would have gone 11-1 with Tennessee's schedule this year? or course we will never know but clearly the unbeaten tag got them (and its a great achievement to do so) in the top 4. My point was wins and losses will outrank "losses in big games", such as Ohio States against Oregon. The lesson I would deduce from this would be, if I was an AD I would make the schedule as easy as possible, try to get to 11-1. So forget Pitt, Oregon, Oklahoma etc, play another cupcake team which satisfies nobody except a guaranteed tick in the win column. Last season by accident was great because there were no cupcake games and every week was a tough match up.

I guess all will become clearer on this debate in a few weeks time but I will be delighted to call Cincinnati National Champions if they win it because they would have beaten Notre Dame, Alabama and Georgia/Michigan and none of those matches were at home either.

Reactions: beamerman
Great posts both beamerman and Vol49er, one of the things that I love about the Vols fan base is that we can always disagree but be civil doing it. I call it "A VIEW FROM BIG BEN" because that is all im offering, A VIEW.

I agree with both of you as I felt for somewhile that the playoffs were a "political closed shop" and I will be delighted if Cincy win it all as they did everything that was asked of them. The original point which I did not clarify well was that: do you think Cincinnati would have gone 11-1 with Tennessee's schedule this year? or course we will never know but clearly the unbeaten tag got them (and its a great achievement to do so) in the top 4. My point was wins and losses will outrank "losses in big games", such as Ohio States against Oregon. The lesson I would deduce from this would be, if I was an AD I would make the schedule as easy as possible, try to get to 11-1. So forget Pitt, Oregon, Oklahoma etc, play another cupcake team which satisfies nobody except a guaranteed tick in the win column. Last season by accident was great because there were no cupcake games and every week was a tough match up.

I guess all will become clearer on this debate in a few weeks time but I will be delighted to call Cincinnati National Champions if they win it because they would have beaten Notre Dame, Alabama and Georgia/Michigan and none of those matches were at home either.
Think of the outrage if ND got in over the undefeated team that beat them, at their place. I frankly thought that would happen. Glad it didn’t.

I despise all things UF, but the ‘84 Gators…had they been bowl eligible…would have boatraced BYU.

BYU got lucky; very lucky. Who the hell has ever played a 6-6 team for a Natty?

UC is a solid team. They have a chance against Bama. But it’s a small number.

Go Vols.

From perception at the time, Tennessee was ahead of Kansas State and UCLA in most polls, even the media. The one that was in the running but didn't get in was Ohio State. The media was very high on Ohio State in 1998 and I have heard comments that they could have beaten Tennessee.

Kansas State and UCLA were not getting a lot of love and FSU had a loss so we were pretty safe at #1 even if both Kansas State and UCLA had won. The main team that could have supplanted us was Ohio State if they didn't lose.

If things had held pat, it would have been Kansas State vs. Tennessee.
LOL that the other OSU -- not the one we first think of, Oregon State Univ -- could have beaten the Vols that year. It was only a few yrs before that they lost to Tennessee in a bowl, trying to run Heisman awardee big Eddie George, behind Lombardi trophy Orlando Pace, and getting stuffed short of the goal line by Bill Duff and a host of volunteers.

VN Store

Back