A View from Big Ben: Duel Threat or Pro Style?

With his concussion history, Maurer should lean more into the Pro-Style mode with use of his legs as a "when all else fails" type option. They haven't figured out how to do brain transplants yet.
Yeah guys can’t run around like they did in high school anymore. These SEC guys will kill you. Some of them don’t figure that out until they experience it themselves.

Now we have had to take the reality pills of a 3-7 season, the coming NCAA violations and the dysfunctional regimes of Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt, we know that new players are more likely to come from the 500–700 range, not the 5–7 range or even the 50–70 range and the only realistic way to reverse this, is through winning matches..

We know that not all players positions are of equal importance and the Quarterback is hugely the most important. A good quarterback will single handedly win more matches that any other player on the team. He will mask various deficiencies in the roster and he will also set the profile and image of the team, so getting this position right is the most important decision any coach has to make.

We also know that Quarterbacks come in two varieties Duel Threat and Pro Style. So which type should “The Hype” choose?

Dual Threat - Hendon Hooker, Joe Milton, Brian Maurer
The argument to support this type of quarterback is that todays football requires the quarterback to be more mobile and he would not only able to function if the Offensive Line breaks down but can also have designed running plays for him (on some teams he is actually the main rusher). Hooker, Milton and Maurer fit this profile and I think we will not all agree which one of them will do best, you choose. My guess for the stats for any of the above will be about 2,000 yards passing and 700 yards rushing.

Pro Style –
Harrison Bailey
This type of player is more static in the pocket, he does not run unless it is more of a survival situation and he does need time from the Offensive Line for routes to be completed. It is imperative that he is accurate and preferably have a big arm. I think Bailey is not naturally mobile but he can be elusive if he needs to be. I also think the O Line will be satisfactory this year. Most importantly Bailey has already proven, in a limited sample size, that be can be deadly accurate (he was just over 70% completions last season and that was as a true Freshman and with chaos going on around him), he also showed in the Orange & White game that his “long ball” is not as a concern as was first thought. My guess for the stats for Bailey will be about 3,500 yards passing and 200 yards rushing.

What did the last three National Championship winning quarterbacks post:

2020 Mac Jones (Alabama) 4,500 yards passing and 14 yards rushing

2019 Joe Burrow (LSU) 5,671 yards passing and 368 yards rushing

2018 Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) 3,280 yards passing and 177 yards rushing (he did not play in two games)

It is also very interesting that Dabo chose to go with Trevor Lawrence (Pro Style) over Kelly Bryant (Duel Threat) in 2018 and Saben (who for a decade produced teams that were run heavy and with a game manager quarterback) chose Tua Tagovailoa (Pro Style) over Jalen Hurts (Duel Threat) in 2017.

So taking all this into account I hope that we go with Harrison Bailey this season as he should give us the best chance.

Please feel free to comment.

GO VOLS
I want Bailey. Hate it for Maurer but he can benefit from all this coaching, not play and transfer and get yet another year. His situation reminds me of Riley a bit. Also seems he was behind some guys in emotional maturity and that’s OK. Not everyone matures at the same pace... but I think sticking it out for the rest of the summer and through the early part of fall and then going to a school with a good QB coach where he is the guy and it’s less pressure could make something out of him. I would be surprised if Milton took the position from Bailey. If he does, Bailey probably leaves and so does Mayer. Where does that leave us?

I like Bailey and have confidence in him to lead this team's high powered aerial attack reminiscent of Tyler Bray without the personnel issues.

With that said, I have heard a lot of raving review about Milton since he set foot on campus.

So may the best man win (to include the other QBs that I have less confidence with).

With his concussion history, Maurer should lean more into the Pro-Style mode with use of his legs as a "when all else fails" type option. They haven't figured out how to do brain transplants yet.
Watch the Movie GET OUT. Freaky

Review of history:

The Clawfence in ‘08 was the switch from the Pro Style all of us Tennessee fans were accustom too. We (fans) hated it and were glad we went back to traditional offense.

We ALL (including Tim Priest) griped about Butch running the RPO against Florida from the one.

We complained about Pruitts offense (whatever that mess was) last year.

I say just win!

Go back and watch film of Dobbs. It's rare he was ever caught from behind. He's was like that kid in the neighborhood who had another gear when he was being chased, few ever caught him that way. Then couple that with the uncanny ability to just rarely ever getting blown up, he had a knack of sliding to the side, or going down easily if he was tackled. You don't see many like that in college football.

Yeah but could he play the game of football worth a damn?
SORRY!!! My response was not thinking of Dobbs. (too far back in memory bank) My response was directed at our most recent guy who I had just as soon forget.

Last edited:
Now we have had to take the reality pills of a 3-7 season, the coming NCAA violations and the dysfunctional regimes of Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt, we know that new players are more likely to come from the 500–700 range, not the 5–7 range or even the 50–70 range and the only realistic way to reverse this, is through winning matches..

We know that not all players positions are of equal importance and the Quarterback is hugely the most important. A good quarterback will single handedly win more matches that any other player on the team. He will mask various deficiencies in the roster and he will also set the profile and image of the team, so getting this position right is the most important decision any coach has to make.

We also know that Quarterbacks come in two varieties Duel Threat and Pro Style. So which type should “The Hype” choose?

The argument to support this type of quarterback is that todays football requires the quarterback to be more mobile and he would not only able to function if the Offensive Line breaks down but can also have designed running plays for him (on some teams he is actually the main rusher). Hooker, Milton and Maurer fit this profile and I think we will not all agree which one of them will do best, you choose. My guess for the stats for any of the above will be about 2,000 yards passing and 700 yards rushing.

Pro Style –
Harrison Bailey
This type of player is more static in the pocket, he does not run unless it is more of a survival situation and he does need time from the Offensive Line for routes to be completed. It is imperative that he is accurate and preferably have a big arm. I think Bailey is not naturally mobile but he can be elusive if he needs to be. I also think the O Line will be satisfactory this year. Most importantly Bailey has already proven, in a limited sample size, that be can be deadly accurate (he was just over 70% completions last season and that was as a true Freshman and with chaos going on around him), he also showed in the Orange & White game that his “long ball” is not as a concern as was first thought. My guess for the stats for Bailey will be about 3,500 yards passing and 200 yards rushing.

2018 Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) 3,280 yards passing and 177 yards rushing (he did not play in two games)

It is also very interesting that Dabo chose to go with Trevor Lawrence (Pro Style) over Kelly Bryant (Duel Threat) in 2018 and Saben (who for a decade produced teams that were run heavy and with a game manager quarterback) chose Tua Tagovailoa (Pro Style) over Jalen Hurts (Duel Threat) in 2017.

So taking all this into account I hope that we go with Harrison Bailey this season as he should give us the best chance.

GO VOLS
Really enjoy your threads. In the case of this one, I just wonder if the type passing game Hipe likes is one that requires a QB who is pass first, run when need to or when an occasional play is call for a QB run.

Yeah but could he play the game of football worth a damn?
SORRY!!! My response was not thinking of Dobbs. (too far back in memory bank) My response was directed at our most recent guy who I had just as soon forget.

Our last QB was dual threat alright, he was a threat to throw an interception or a threat to make a pi$$-poor decision at any moment in the game. I think we are all still mentally scarred from that, and for that reason, I'd love to see Bailey come in as a pro style passer and just light it up. We all need that, it's been too long.

My prediction is: at least 3 maybe 4 QB's play in the BG game, it will be paired down to 2 for the Pitt game and 1 will have won the job by the UF game. I believe the final 2 will be Milton/Bailey. We can win with either depending on how wide open the offense will be.

Pro Style –
Harrison Bailey

GO VOLS
Lawrence could have been a huge part of their run game if they needed it. Tua was also a good runner.

All QB's succeed and fail on decision making and the ability to get the ball to the right guy. That's true of DT or PS QB's. You went through a lot of trouble to build a rational argument... that simply ignores too many major factors. Those last three NC QB's were great decision makers. They were also surrounded by incredible talent.

PS- all three were more athletic than Bailey. Burrow and Lawrence were MUCH, MUCH more athletic than Bailey. Either could have succeeded in a zone read O.

PSS- short passes distorted Bailey's completion %. That's fine but at least one game he was throwing dump downs with time running out in the game while needing 2 scores.

Reactions: krichunaka
I was only having fun with the misspelling of dual in the thread title, but I'll see my doctor tomorrow.
Unfortunately, his name is Dr. Mengele.

I concede my spelling is useless. I think my spellcheck says Dr Mengalay

Last edited:
Really enjoy your threads. In the case of this one, I just wonder if the type passing game Hipe likes is one that requires a QB who is pass first, run when need to or when an occasional play is call for a QB run.

Thank you savannahfan. I tend to lean on the side that the Pro Style quarterback should throw and only run to survive a breakdown of the play. The danger of a few designed running plays is that only a few yards are gained yet the QB can get injured. In short the rules of risk and reward.

Reactions: savannahfan
That is because Dobbs is a rocket scientist and knows physics. He was probably calculating equations (speed, time, angle, weight, height) in his head when running to keep from taking a major blow. I never could believe how he could run so much while getting quite a bit of contact and never even limping off the field. I still can't!
He looked so effortless when trotting down the field. I have never seen anyone look like it was no big deal and gallop for yardage like he did.

Reactions: 89 VOLS grad

VN Store

Back