A Salute to the Lads

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”​

-- Teddy Roosevelt

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”​

-- Teddy Roosevelt
This is a pinworthy post here on VolNation

-- Teddy Roosevelt
Please post this in the BB game thread so some of these incompetent pessimistic jackasses can read it

What ever happened to Mark Richt ?
Wikipediea says:

"Starting with the 2019 season, Richt became a football analyst for the inaugural season of the ACC Network, a subscription-television channel that is owned and operated by ESPN Inc. and focuses on the Atlantic Coast Conference, where Richt coached for 14 seasons at Florida State and Miami."

[of course, many of us never see him because we're not in the footprint to get ACC Network as a matter of course]

"When Richt became head coach at Miami, he and his wife purchased a house two miles from campus."

and

"On October 21, 2019, Richt tweeted that he had suffered a heart attack but had survived the episode and intended to resume normal activities quickly. On July 1, 2021, Richt announced via Twitter that he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease."

Go Vols!

He swore he saw Sasquatch on a hunting trip once..And nobody doubted him..TIFWIW

Last edited:
Another thing that whips my @$$…the coaches are in the arena too…in real time…playing chess. And spectators are oblivious to that fact. Because they have no real perspective…and can play checkers at best.

It’s really easy as a fan to call a play “good” or “bad” AFTER you see the results. It’s something entirely different to make the best call you can within 30 seconds and the game in front of you on the field. And knowing the limitations of your players.

We fans watch the game from afar and with hindsight. It’s a whole different ballgame on the sidelines on the field during a game.

Nice sneezeguard.
Yeah...it's beyond "simple"...it's what I could afford back in 1987...which wasn't much of anything. Meanwhile...you should see how embarrassing the ring is I could afford around the same time to ask my wife of now over 35 years to marry me with...

Or...you could just go back and read what the speech says, again...and pay attention this time.

Reactions: joevol24
Wikipediea says:

"Starting with the 2019 season, Richt became a football analyst for the inaugural season of the ACC Network, a subscription-television channel that is owned and operated by ESPN Inc. and focuses on the Atlantic Coast Conference, where Richt coached for 14 seasons at Florida State and Miami."

[of course, many of us never see him because we're not in the footprint to get ACC Network as a matter of course]

"When Richt became head coach at Miami, he and his wife purchased a house two miles from campus."

and

"On October 21, 2019, Richt tweeted that he had suffered a heart attack but had survived the episode and intended to resume normal activities quickly. On July 1, 2021, Richt announced via Twitter that he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease."

Go Vols!
I hated him bc he coached UGA but I think Richt was as good a human being as there ever was to coach in the conference. I might be fooled but I wouldn’t be the only one.

I hated him bc he coached UGA but I think Richt was as good a human being as there ever was to coach in the conference. I might be fooled but I wouldn’t be the only one.
I don’t think you’ve been fooled. I’ve never met Richt, but I honestly think he has as much character and integrity as any coach that has ever coached in the SEC.

Yeah...it's beyond "simple"...it's what I could afford back in 1987...which wasn't much of anything. Meanwhile...you should see how embarrassing the ring is I could afford around the same time to ask my wife of now over 35 years to marry me with...

Or...you could just go back and read what the speech says, again...and pay attention this time.
I don’t need to read the quote. I’m about as deep in TR knowledge as I want to be. I’ve read all the books by Lunde, McCullough’s biography, and best of all Morris’s book, The Naturalist. I highly recommend it. TR, for all his flaws, was one of the most resilient people to serve in office. His ridiculous racism and male ego nonsense are all forgivable for the many contributions he made to conservation, leveling competition, ending the gilded age, and protecting workers. He was a misguided zealot sometimes, but he had a great heart, and he never backed down. He should’ve run again instead of handing over his legacy to that sad toad, Taft. Also, nice sneeze guard. I meant it. I have things from that era too. Keep beer and snot off of them is the only way they survived.

Fine, I'll be the A-hole and criticize...

I have not liked this season. I have not liked this team. They've played soft all year and feels like they have had no heart, no fight in them at all. And it's not just because of the record. We've had teams that finished with worse records that I actually liked more because they had more moxie and played with more heart. Frankly I'm glad the season almost over. I'm ready to move on from Milton and the 2023 Vols.

I don’t need to read the quote. I’m about as deep in TR knowledge as I want to be. I’ve read all the books by Lunde, McCullough’s biography, and best of all Morris’s book, The Naturalist. I highly recommend it. TR, for all his flaws, was one of the most resilient people to serve in office. His ridiculous racism and male ego nonsense are all forgivable for the many contributions he made to conservation, leveling competition, ending the gilded age, and protecting workers. He was a misguided zealot sometimes, but he had a great heart, and he never backed down. He should’ve run again instead of handing over his legacy to that sad toad, Taft. Also, nice sneeze guard. I meant it. I have things from that era too. Keep beer and snot off of them is the only way they survived.

Well...while you puke pablum...

"I GOT HER NUMBA!"

tenor.gif

my first ring to my girl was a ring from a 5¢ bubble gum machine.. I was that broke and young, she still has it to this day. been married over 30 years.

VN Store

Back