A Reluctant Criticism of Barnes

Ok; but point still remains. Guy was acting like Pearl developed him into what he became and the truth is he'd probably be that regardless of who was coach.
Pearl walked into a great situation with the roster being conducive to his preferred style of play. It's absurd that some posters think this was one of the best rosters we've had here.

Reactions: papatomany
Shaka seemed like a can’t miss. You just never know with these mid majors.
Oats was coaching his high school ball just a few years ago.
Oats walked into a great situation at Bama. Let's see what he does when he has to rebuild. The narrow minds here always clamor for the flavor of the month. No way I would take Oats over Barnes right now

Reactions: ArdentVol
Can he? 12 NCAAT appearances, 6 R64 losses, 4 R32 losses, 1S16....that type of success is what has people criticizing Barnes, (actually Barnes has more success), yet we are now applauding that success for Cronin? Interesting.
You use “we” awfully loosely. Most think Barnes and him are about the same... overrated

Ok; but point still remains. Guy was acting like Pearl developed him into what he became and the truth is he'd probably be that regardless of who was coach.
Agree. I have done a little research at just how much Pearl developed players here at UT to go to the next level (NBA) which is what most of these kids are looking for when being recruited. From what I have found, only 1 player, Tobias Harris, was drafted by NBA. Before that, the last VOL that went in the draft was Yarbrough and Haislip in 2002. Since Barnes has been here, Josh Richardson(2015), Jordan Bone (2019) Admiral Schofield (2019) and Grant Williams (2019) have been drafted. Now we have 2 potential picks this year.
I enjoyed Bruce when he was here. Hey, I started getting season tickets after his first couple of years. He was a motivator for sure. Could easily sell all the ocean front property in Tennessee. BUT, would not trade what we have now for what I found out we had then. How many times were we not surprised to see some of our players in the headlines (not in a good way) during the Bruce Pearl years? How much more NCAA penalties would have been heaped upon us if he would have stayed? At what point does the integrity of the program offset winning at whatever cost it takes.
Very disappointed in the outcome of this unusual season, but it is what it is. I feel we didnt not get to see the potential from this team for sure, but, it is not ALL on Barnes. That is why it is called a TEAM sport. Look at all the other disappointments in this years tourney. It happens. Look forward to next year and years to come. STILL PROUD TO BE A VOLUNTEER AND WILL ALWAYS BE.

Pearl walked into a great situation with the roster being conducive to his preferred style of play. It's absurd that some posters think this was one of the best rosters we've had here.

Yes as @zjcvols said, the truth is in between. It wasn't a dumpster fire but it wasn't a Final Four roster either. But I still blame Peterson the most for doing so little with them.

Reactions: BisonVol
Yup, people just begged to make the dance again consistently, now we do that and it’s not enough...be careful what you wish for...and yes, majority of humans suck.
Just making the NCAA Tournament can not be your goal. Sure there will be the occasional season where injuries, defections, and other problems hit at once but making the the tournament should almost be a no brainer for a good program. All you have to do is play slightly less than .500 ball against quality opponents and win your gimme games and your in.

I love Rick Barnes, and I am of the opinion that he is as good of coach as we will ever have here. But let’s face it, he is limited in some inexplainable way. I believe that the NCAA tournament is right up there with the triple crown in horse racing and the Stanley Cup as far as right place right time goes in sports. There are some people who know exactly how to cash in on these opportunities when presented, but most everyone else is watching and scratching their heads. I don’t know how to explain it. I hope that he retires and ends his career here after several more years, but I also would be willing to bet that he will never get us to the sweet 16 once. I guess I’m just trying to emphasize that we are not one of the chosen. And I think that’s what it takes to routinely survive the chase for certain prizes in sports.

Just making the NCAA Tournament can not be your goal. Sure there will be the occasional season where injuries, defections, and other problems hit at once but making the the tournament should almost be a no brainer for a good program. All you have to do is play slightly less than .500 ball against quality opponents and win your gimme games and your in.
So probably a bunch of programs with 5 straight + NCAAT appearances right, since it’s so easy? Even a no brainer if you will?

It didn't say you make it every single year but it should never be the goal of a power 5 program to just make it.
Every D1 teams goal is to win the national championship, expectation is different...of making the NCAAT was a no brainer and so easy you’d see a lot more active streaks than you do.

VN Store

Back