A Question for the Board

99gator

Congressman
I’m a little old school and some of what I am seeing Saturday and Sunday doesn’t sit well with me.

So, do you feel like it’s time to change some of the rules to start to favor the defense and end this quasi-Arena league madness?

A lot of times I’m watching these games and it doesn’t seem like football to me.

Just seeing if I was alone on this one.

I’m a little old school and some of what I am seeing Saturday and Sunday doesn’t sit well with me.

So, do you feel like it’s time to change some of the rules to start to favor the defense and end this quasi-Arena league madness?

A lot of times I’m watching these games and it doesn’t seem like football to me.

Just seeing if I was alone on this one.
👀

Reactions: DocVOLiday
Wow.... first ive heard of complaints of game softening up.

Wow.... first ive heard of complaints of game softening up.

IMO, you can have all of the same player safety initiatives still in place and do things to aid defenses.

Example: Be more strict and call holding penalties. Let DB’s be more physical with WR by making contact farther than 5 yards downfield (if the ball is not in the air), etc.

Another one is the intentional grounding rule. You leave the pocket, you still have to throw the ball in the area of a receiver

Your Gators got a gift on the "driving the QB into the ground" call against Ole Miss. Is that what you mean? :)

IMO, you can have all of the same player safety initiatives still in place and do things to aid defenses.

Example: Be more strict and call holding penalties. Let DB’s be more physical with WR by making contact farther than 5 yards downfield (if the ball is not in the air), etc.

Another one is the intentional grounding rule. You leave the pocket, you still have to throw the ball in the area of a receiver
There's definitely been a general trend towards almost any contact between a DB and WR warranting a DPI flag, but there were multiple instances in our game last night where a flag probably could/should have been thrown and it wasn't.

IMO, that's the single biggest thing that has led to the offensive explosion. More than protecting QBs and more than penalizing targeting. It doesn't take much at all for a flag to come out for DPI, defensive holding, or illegal contact, and defenses play accordingly.

2 biggest issues I have right now are targeting and contact with the QB.

You cant go high or low on a QB, cant even slap his helmet.

The other is the obvious targeting lunacy. If a player dives for the legs to trip someone up and the RB drops their helmet to protect their legs from a blown ACL, often times the helmets will touch. The defender always is the bad guy in the situation and gets tossed.

Reactions: hog88 and PowerT83
I think he’s referring to the Fun N Gun.... PC or phone must have been processing this thread for awhile before it actually posted...

The powers that be need to take a long look at the targeting rule. It seems that it’s oftentimes left up to the discretion of the officials, and I feel as though they’re wrong more often than not. If nothing else, don’t freaking eject a kid over a hit that clearly had no malicious intent behind it.

Targeting needs to go away. If a crown of the helmet is used by any player including a running back, make it a roughing penalty. That's it. Flags need to stay in pockets for WRs and DBs handfighting down the field as long as the ball is not in the air. The same is true if the ball is thrown nowhere close to where the handfighting is taking place. Move the 5 yard contact rule to 10 yards for DBs & WRs.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I think offensive face mask penalties need to be a thing. Just because you are a ball carrier doesnt mean you get to grab someone's face mask.

Same thing with offensive targeting, if the ball carrier lowers his helmet and leads with it, that's targetting by him. But instead it's the defender who gets called if there is helmet to helmet contact.

The powers that be need to take a long look at the targeting rule. It seems that it’s oftentimes left up to the discretion of the officials, and I feel as though they’re wrong more often than not. If nothing else, don’t freaking eject a kid over a hit that clearly had no malicious intent behind it.
I agree. I think it’s almost impossible not to have helmet to helmet contact on certain plays when a player with the ball reacts and moves his head ever so slightly and the defensive player cannot help the result. There are tiered flagrant fouls in basketball, I don’t see why there can’t be in football. For example, last year in the OU vs LSU CFP game an OU linebacker basically launched and targeted an LSU back who didn’t even have the ball. That guy needs to be tossed because his intent was clear, but those bang bang plays should be a 15 yards and go on to the next snap.

Last edited:
I agree. I think it’s almost impossible not to have helmet to helmet contact on certain plays when a player with the reacts and moves his head ever so slightly and the defensive player cannot help the result. There are tiered flagrant fouls in basketball, I don’t see why there can’t be in football. For example, last year in the OU vs LSU CFP game an OU linebacker basically launched and targeted an LSU back who didn’t even have the ball. That guy needs to be tossed because his intent was clear, but those bang bang plays should be a 15 yards and go on to the next snap.
It’s so ridiculous, I don’t know who thought it would be a good idea to toss players over what are in a lot of cases normal hits. I do like the idea of having different levels of targeting, it makes a lot more sense than what we’ve got now

I was randomly listening to sports radio mowing the lawn, and whoever it was discussing the fact that points have increased in the NFL. They gave their reasons. One guy says the refs aren't calling as many offensive penalties. Statistically, they aren't calling holding at all compared to last year. For me, though, I don't really see that. Hard to get interested in watching people holding on TV. What I see is that they've legalized very heavy pass interference. I don't know if it's a better game or not, but it's certainly different.

I was randomly listening to sports radio mowing the lawn, and whoever it was discussing the fact that points have increased in the NFL. They gave their reasons. One guy says the refs aren't calling as many offensive penalties. Statistically, they aren't calling holding at all compared to last year. For me, though, I don't really see that. Hard to get interested in watching people holding on TV. What I see is that they've legalized very heavy pass interference. I don't know if it's a better game or not, but it's certainly different.

the other thing they have made legal are pick plays. I’m tired of seeing offensive coordinators called geniuses and QB as some sort of surgeon carving up a defense on obvious pick plays

Reactions: MemphisVol77
There is a million things you could be referring to right now with the NFL. Where are you headed?

^
I would like this 1,000 times if I could.

This rule needs to change and remove the automatic ejection unless its blatantly obvious on the intent.

VN Store

Back