A Pattern in The Evina Westbrook Story?

mytenn

1) Recall her saying early on this last season that 'As I go, so goes this team.'
-Is it better to point to yourself or to be inclusive and encouraging for the team?
2) Should a player answer a question whether her coach should be retained or not,
and in a manner indicating no, the change is needed. Is a sophomore player an/the
authority to 'say' yea or nea?
3) Why did she stay on in practices under Kellie until Kellie had to politely ask her
for a decision, so the program could move forward with the players that decided to stay?
4) Did she ever indicate she strongly wanted to be here? Compare to Jordan Horston's
statements on this.

Reactions: sport3500
1) Recall her saying early on this last season that 'As I go, so goes this team.'
-Is it better to point to yourself or to be inclusive and encouraging for the team?
2) Should a player answer a question whether her coach should be retained or not,
and in a manner indicating no, the change is needed. Is a sophomore player an/the
3) Why did she stay on in practices under Kellie until Kellie had to politely ask her
for a decision, so the program could move forward with the players that decided to stay?
4) Did she ever indicate she strongly wanted to be here? Compare to Jordan Horston's
statements on this.

Ok pot stirrer at least get your facts straight per 2.

There is no absolutely no reason to keep misrepresenting what evina said in an impromptu locker room interview after this disappointing loss to UCLA,. It is a matter of public record and as reported in the knox news sentinel.

When asked after the game whether she expected Warlick to be back for an eighth season, Westbrook paused for a few seconds before telling reporters, “I don’t know. I really don’t know.”

Before that, Westbrook was asked whether there are offseason steps that need to be taken.
“I just think off-the-court stuff, steps need to be taken with our staff and just overall off the court with this team,” she said.

Ok pot stirrer at least get your facts straight per 2.

There is no absolutely no reason to keep misrepresenting what evina said in an impromptu locker room interview after this disappointing loss to UCLA,. It is a matter of public record and as reported in the knox news sentinel.

When asked after the game whether she expected Warlick to be back for an eighth season, Westbrook paused for a few seconds before telling reporters, “I don’t know. I really don’t know.”

Before that, Westbrook was asked whether there are offseason steps that need to be taken.
“I just think off-the-court stuff, steps need to be taken with our staff and just overall off the court with this team,” she said.
I got my facts straight. Re-read the last statement she made here. Also, the first statement too. What is she saying ? But first read my post. I did not say she said anything absolutely. I find it pays to think in terms of concepts, conditions, positions, environments, where, what, & when something is mentioned, indicated. No caps needed here.

statements on this.
-5)Another interesting thing should put in here that may apply in this story is why she chose UConn to transfer to?...

Reactions: T_Vol376
-5)Another interesting thing should put in here that may apply in this story is why she chose UConn to transfer to?...
Someone who kept up with it at the time can tell me, but didn't Evina's Mom say in defense of her daughter regarding Evina's statements about the coaching, culture condition going forward that she is young, and made a mistake saying what she did?

I got my facts straight. Re-read the last statement she made here. Also, the first statement too. What is she saying ? But first read my post. I did not say she said anything absolutely. I find it pays to think in terms of concepts, conditions, positions, environments, where, what, & when something is mentioned, indicated. No caps needed here.

"Should a player answer a question whether her coach should be retained or not, and in a manner indicating no, the change is needed. Is a sophomore player an/the authority to 'say' yea or nea?"

Uh, your statement is factually incorrect from the get to. Evina was not asked if Holly should be retained but if she thought that Holly would be back next season. Holly was on a very public hot seat which had just gotten much hotter after the LVs had just lost a FIRST round tournament game. In that context, the answer of "I don' t know" was both honest and fairly diplomatic under the circumstances.

And whether or not Evina had authority as a sophomore is irrevecant because she did not give a "yea or nea" response to the question but again said "I don't know."

As for Evina's other statement, she said steps need to be taken with the staff. That statement could have all kinds of implications but it is not directly calling for Holly to be fired. Maybe the steps means that communication needs to improve or the staff needs to get stricter about the off court stuff or many other possibilities.

So, yes I read what you wrote and you were completely wrong.

Last edited:
"Should a player answer a question whether her coach should be retained or not, and in a manner indicating no, the change is needed. Is a sophomore player an/the authority to 'say' yea or nea?"

Uh, your statement is factually incorrect from the get to. Evina was not asked if Holly should be retained but if she thought that Holly would be back next season. Holly was on a very public hot seat which had just gotten much hotter after the LVs had just lost a FIRST round tournament game. In that context, the answer of "I don' t know" was both honest and fairly diplomatic under the circumstances.

And whether or not Evina had authority as a sophomore is irrevecant because she did not give a "yea or nea" response to the question but again said "I don't know."

As for Evina's other statement, she said steps need to be taken with the staff. That statement could have all kinds of implications but it is not directly calling for Holly to be fired. Maybe the steps means that communication needs to improve or the staff needs to get stricter about the off court stuff or many other possibilities.

So, yes I read what you wrote and you were completely wrong.
I had a question ? to consider in the title as felt some statements here & innuendos...needed some additional input. So, my job is done I think. Have a nice evening.

This is the Lady Vol forum. There is an entire thread devoted to non-lady vol news. Feel free to post in there. The moment she donned a UCONN uniform she ceased to be a Lady Vol. Time to move on IMO.

"I wish I knew how to quit you."

Keep moving those goal posts. Nighty night.

Thanks, madtown, I had wondered if a transcript was needed; you pretty much did that. In defense of some - the initial impression, due to the poor sound quality and the response of the media, caused an erroneous understanding to be received and disseminated. This impression differed with what she actually said. I had it recorded and had to listen to it several times before I was sure of her words.

That said, gino is a jerk, always has been always will be. Shame he’s trying to drag UT to his level, just a pitiful whiner. Apparently now their AD wants Phil to do the work for the ucon AD department. Phil has Tennessee to work for; he can‘t spoon feed some other school’s personnel.

Madtownvol has given the only factual information here; the rest is opinion and conjecture.

Here are just a few of the things we do not know, despite heartfelt, sincere, and sometimes churlish opinions, stated wih an (over?) abundance of passion—

1. What did the young lady mean by her comment about "staff changes"?
Your supposition may be better than mine, as good as mine, or just plain goofy, but neither of us really knows.

2. Why did Ms. Evina decide to transfer?

We have read lots of fiery and a few calm opinions, but we lack fact.

3. What were the grounds on which her current university based the request for a waiver? If you haven't read the document(s), you are welcome to offer a guess, but that is a tad diferent from a fact.

4. What specific reason or reasons did the routinely opaque NCAA give for denying the request? Proof and facts, if you would be so kind. Conjecture, supposition and HAGs are getting a bit old.

5. If a student's former school does or does not support a transfer and waiver request, how does this have any effect on the NCAA's purported concern for the
well-being of the student?

6. Does exponential conjecture lead to a logical, factual conclusion? Do you love conspiracy theories? Can you shave a hairless Chihuahua with Occam's Razor on a thursday that falls on a weekend with a full moon?

Madtownvol has given the only factual information here; the rest is opinion and conjecture.

Here are just a few of the things we do not know, despite heartfelt, sincere, and sometimes churlish opinions, stated wih an (over?) abundance of passion—

1. What did the young lady mean by her comment about "staff changes"?
Your supposition may be better than mine, as good as mine, or just plain goofy, but neither of us really knows.

We have read lots of fiery and a few calm opinions, but we lack fact.

3. What were the grounds on which her current university based the request for a waiver? If you haven't read the document(s), you are welcome to offer a guess, but that is a tad diferent from a fact.

4. What specific reason or reasons did the routinely opaque NCAA give for denying the request? Proof and facts, if you would be so kind. Conjecture, supposition and HAGs are getting a bit old.

5. If a student's former school does or does not support a transfer and waiver request, how does this have any effect on the NCAA's purported concern for the
well-being of the student?

6. Does exponential conjecture lead to a logical, factual conclusion? Do you love conspiracy theories? Can you shave a hairless Chihuahua with Occam's Razor on a thursday that falls on a weekend with a full moon?

Agreed on all points.

I am stepping away from this story but this one incident needs some commenting upon. On the LV facebook page, one poster wrote to the effect of wishing a catastrophic knee injury upon Evina for her "treason" against the LVs. When this poster was called out, her response was that well, others have written "worse things".

I would hate to know what those "worse things" might be but this vitriol is completely irrational and unacceptable. One "rumor" (and with all caveats that come with hearsay) is that social media bullying was part of the Evina's claim.

That may or may not be the case, but comments such as these mean-spirited wishes that Evina "blows out a knee" (and the seething hostility directed at her during the last season) certainly crossed a line.

There was a small faction (at least I hope that is small) who were very vocal and made it their cause to demonize Evina and make her the ONE reason the LVs were struggling, as opposed to say the person at the coaching helm (who was paid lots of $ to be responsible to the success or failure of the team).

In the present moment, Evina's transfer denial saga has re-energized all the posters who hold Evina responsible for Holly's firing (as though her own coaching performance was not at issue) and then taking this implied consequence as some kind of affront to the legacy of CPS.

This kind of response is total BS. The LVs are a basketball program, not a sacred entity. Transferring, even to a rival school, is not treason nor are some very vague, comments about things needing to change in the program (an obvious point which only the most dogmatic Holly supporter would deny).

And Evina can't control what Geno or the UConn AD say either, who are the adult authorities in the room.

Unfortunately, as they say, a few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch, so all LV fans have been tainted by this hostility toward a 20 year old student athlete.

Last edited:
Agreed on all points.

I am stepping away from this story but this one incident needs some commenting upon. On the LV facebook page, one poster wrote to the effect of wishing a catastrophic knee injury upon Evina for her "treason" against the LVs. When this poster was called out, her response was that well, others have written "worse things".

I would hate to know what those "worse things" might be but this vitriol is completely irrational and unacceptable. One "rumor" (and with all caveats that come with hearsay) is that social media bullying was part of the Evina's claim.

That may or may not be the case, but comments such as these mean-spirited wishes that Evina "blows out a knee" (and the seething hostility directed at her during the last season) certainly crossed a line.

There was a small faction (at least I hope that is a small) who were very vocal and made it their cause to demonize Evina and make her the ONE reason the LVs were struggling, as opposed to say the person at the coaching helm (who was paid lots of $ to be responsible to the success or failure of the team).

In the present moment, Evina's transfer denial saga has re-energized all the posters who hold Evina responsible for Holly's firing (as though her own coaching performance was not at issue) and then taking this implied consequence as some kind of affront to the legacy of CPS.

This kind of response is total BS. The LVs are a basketball program, not a sacred entity. Transferring, even to a rival school, is not treason nor are some very vague, comments about things needing to change in the program (an obvious point which only the most dogmatic Holly supporter would deny).

And she can't control what Geno or the UConn AD say either, who are the adult authorities in the room.

Unfortunately, as they say, a few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch, so all LV fans have been tainted by this hostility toward a 20 year old student athlete.
Well said.

Agreed on all points.

There was a small faction (at least I hope that is small) who were very vocal and made it their cause to demonize Evina and make her the ONE reason the LVs were struggling, as opposed to say the person at the coaching helm (who was paid lots of $ to be responsible to the success or failure of the team).

And Evina can't control what Geno or the UConn AD say either, who are the adult authorities in the room.

Exactly. Thank you.

I'll be glad when the season actually starts and maybe we can finally let go of all these Holly and Evina rants. Other than the denial of a transfer waiver for a player on another team, there is absolutely nothing new here.

I'll be glad when the season actually starts and maybe we can finally let go of all these Holly and Evina rants. Other than the denial of a transfer waiver for a player on another team, there is absolutely nothing new here.
Truth

Because she didn't want to be the next Jamie Nared? Because half her career was wasted already? Because she was not improving and indeed appeared to be regressing, like so many recent LVs before her? Because her Mom showed the incredibly bad judgement to not only patrol social media but actually engage those who dissed Evina creating even more ill will?

Regarding her comments, some of you are scarily entrenched in the "alternative fact", "believe what I say, not what you see" universe. You've all seen the transcript and the video, she of course never said "Fire Holly" or anything close and you know it. She mumbled acquiescence to a reporter's leading gottchas in an emotional moment immediately after the last humiliating defeat of the season where she was clearly exhausted, disappointed and unsure of her future. That's what actually happened. Anything else is what ya'll made up.

We forget that the old UConn rivalry means way more to us codgers than to any of the kids on either team. We haven't actually been oncourt rivals nor have we been the remotest threat to their dynasty in any of these kids' bball memories. Evina, her Mom, and most certainly Geno probably enjoyed the extra thumb in our eye, but I highly doubt it was the biggest factor in her choice of teams. Maybe she just chose the team where she's most likely to get to the Final Four and win an NC. Think any kid would turn down that chance for an ancient program butt hurt?

Also, why is no one mad at Mimi Collins? Cuz if there's anyone in the universe we hold a deep and abiding grudge against other than Geno, isn't it Brenda Freese?

Last edited:
Because she didn't want to be the next Jamie Nared? Because half her career was wasted already? Because she was not improving and indeed appeared to be regressing, like so many recent LVs before her? Because her Mom showed the incredibly bad judgement to not only patrol social media but actually engage those who dissed Evina creating even more ill will?

Regarding her comments, some of you are scarily entrenched in the "alternative fact", "believe what I say, not what you see" universe. You've all seen the transcript and the video, she of course never said "Fire Holly" or anything close and you know it. She mumbled acquiescence to a reporter's leading gottchas in an emotional moment immediately after the last humiliating defeat of the season where she was clearly exhausted, disappointed and unsure of her future. That's what actually happened. Anything else is what ya'll made up.

We forget that the old UConn rivalry means way more to us codgers than to any of the kids on either team. We haven't actually been oncourt rivals nor have we been the remotest threat to their dynasty in any of these kids' bball memories. Evina, her Mom, and most certainly Geno probably enjoyed the extra thumb in our eye, but I highly doubt it was the biggest factor in her choice of teams. Maybe she just chose the team where she's most likely to get to the Final Four and win an NC. Think any kid would turn down that chance for an ancient program butt hurt?

Also, why is no one mad at Mimi Collins? Cuz if there's anyone in the universe we hold a deep and abiding grudge against other than Geno, isn't it Brenda Freese?

They may have enjoyed the thumb in TN eyes but I wonder how they enjoyed the NCAA thumbs in theirs? Lol

All jokes aside I’m over them both leaving and have moved on.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
If her motive was to make a Final Four and win a NC, she would have chosen CT coming out of high school.

Furthermore, she could have returned to either of her home state schools—Oregon or Oregon State (or nearby Stanford for that matter)—and had a realistic shot to achieve the same aspirations. A waiver to play right away would have been more realistic to attain (closer to home) too IMO in order to provide her the emotional rescue and healing from her tumultuous experience here.

No, her choice of new schools bears toxicity. It’s sniffable.

VN Store

Back