A Paradox for Fans

I'm in too far. I am an Atlanta Falcons fan (with all the pain that comes with that fandom), but I root for several teams on the side. I don't quite live and die with the Falcons these days, but every Saturday... heck, starting the first game week through the end of the season, every Tennessee game I still get the jitters that come with wanting success for the team and university so badly.

I don't think I could just release it because I never asked for it, it came organically the first time I walked through campus, the first time I saw Neyland from the interstate, the first time I heard thousands and thousands of people singing Rocky Top in unison. I just don't think I could let all that go. Besides, our issues have been mismanagement, not some cosmic force conspiring against UT athletics. I think we have competent leadership in place, now it is just a matter of turning the Titanic around.

I feel your pain. I lived in Atlanta from 1966 till 1984 and held season tickets untill we moved back to Tennessee. We were Passionate Falcon fans and I remember taking the "Falcon Flyers" bus from the Greenbriar Mall and park right up front at the stadium for home games and after the game walked right to be bus for the ride home. We were awful, but we loved our Falcons. I remember when we got Steve Bartkowski as the number one draft pick. He was harassed in the backfield for many years and our only really good player other than him was Tommy Nobis, middle linebacker. The only team we were able to beat consistently was the New Orleans Saints, but then they would beat us when we traveled to New Orleans. At that time I also had four UT season tickets and would travel faithfully to Knoxville for every game I could make (unless I was on an airline trip). I saw good times and sadly too many bad times at UT in recent years. For over 40 years I held the tickets and finally gave them up when the cost of renewal, (and the constant beatdowns from bama and the gators) got too much. My son is a graduate of UT and he has had season tickets for many years, so I go to a couple games each year with him and his friends. Today I'm still a casual fan of the Falcons, but my blood still runs orange. Hope springs eternal and I look forward to better days in Knoxville, especially since I might be moving there soon.

Reactions: krichunaka
Bear with me, this does have to do with Tennessee football. It just won't be obvious at first.

As kids, for whatever reason, my brother and I decided we needed to pick out favorite pro football teams. Our dad was a huge fan of Vince Lombardi as a coach...so he watched the Packers. Not sure he really cared about the team, but he looked up to the man leading them.

So for whatever odd rationale that runs through the brains of 10-year-old kids, my brother picked the Cowboys. And I picked the Los Angeles Rams. I think Jack Reynolds may have had something to do with it, but not sure (remember him? Hacksaw Reynolds, a Tennessee Vol...and probably the most famous and notorious Los Angeles Ram at the time).

Anyway, I followed both the Vols and the Rams for many years. Decades, in fact. But the Rams never won a championship. Came close once or twice, were often a very good team, but never won it all while I followed them.

Some time in the 1980s, I got married and both my career and home life got super busy. I ran out of time for both college and pro fandom. Tennessee won out, of course, and I stopped following the Rams so close. Would keep up with game results, but not watch the games. You know that deal. Well, over time I stopped looking for the scores, too. It probably didn't help that in 2000 they beat the Titans, which I had started following. I was growing to actually dislike the team I'd picked decades earlier as "my favorite."

To get to the point: as everyone knows, the Rams won the Super Bowl last night. I didn't watch it, just don't care that much. But they did win. My wife and I were laughing about it this morning. And--here's the point--she said, "well, if you stop being a fan of Tennessee, maybe they'll win a championship." I replied, "yeah, in 20 years." She said, "You'll still be alive then." I concluded, "Yes...but I won't care."

And so that's the paradox I wanted to ask you all. I think I know the answer, for most folks anyway, but I could be wrong. Say you have the choice:

(a) You can stop caring about the Tennessee Volunteers, knowing they'll win a championship in a decade or two (but you won't care); or
(b) You can keep caring about the Vols, knowing that means they'll never win a national title again in your lifetime.

Which do you pick?

I mean, both suck. Absolutely suck. This is definitely a Sophie's Choice kind of thing. But is one less bad?

For me, I just can't stop being a fan of the lads in orange. Not even as a "sacrifice" so that the rest of you can get a championship some day. I think it's because it is about more than just winning championships--though striving for championships is vital (for me).

Anyway, I don't think I could stop following Tennessee; it's in my blood. Even if it meant they would never succeed. I just couldn't do it.

You?

I'm with you, it is part of me and although I am a bit jaded I will always care. My family has followed me down this rabbit hole (sorry kids) and I simply cannot wait until I get them to Neyland for the first time (probably this fall). I just want competitive and improving. It will be sad but I go with B.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I’ve loved Tennessee Football for over 50 years. I can break up my fandom into two parts. Before and after our National Championship in 1998. I can tell you without a doubt that I enjoyed the first 25 years more than the second 25 years after we won it all. Don’t forget we had some rough times back in the 70’s/80’s but college football meant more in a different way. Winning the SEC, winning a bowl, there was more hope for more teams, it wasn’t just about the big prize, the NC was the icing on top. Now college football has turned into all or nothing.

Tennessee football is so much more than National Championships and I’d give up the whole playoff system and ever winning it all to go back to the old pre BCS Bowl era.

If you cared about them winning a championship, you'd still be a fan, and if you didn't you wouldn't be a fan. Kind of a dumb question.

Either be a fan or don't be. The championships don't really matter in that realm.

Maybe I'm not understanding...

Meh, I don't believe in curses. It'll happen if they get good enough, no matter who does or doesn't follow them.

Yep. That's why the "we can't beat Florida" folks are so silly. They don't wanna admit that, while Florida hasn't been great since Urban left, Tennessee has simply been worse. If Tennessee is better than Florida in 2022 (and Tennessee should be), Tennessee will most likely beat Florida in 2022.

Yep. That's why the "we can't beat Florida" folks are so silly. They don't wanna admit that, while Florida hasn't been great since Urban left, Tennessee has simply been worse. If Tennessee is better than Florida in 2022 (and Tennessee should be), Tennessee will most likely beat Florida in 2022.
mindblown-whoa.gif

I'm too far gone. I've watched a lot of BAD Tennessee football in the last decade. Sent my kids there and they lovingly tell me that I tortured them "making " them Vols. Part of Battered Vol Syndrome is exactly this paradox. They are bad because of "Me". I'll still go and you guys have a scapegoat now. Me. I won't stop going. Most folks I drag to games don't really share the warm fuzzy memories that happen when on campus. It's more about that than the outcome I suppose. Still would be nice to kick some Bama ass in the near future. Is that to much to ask?
Well when my Dad died July of 20, my Mom buried him in an orange blazer, and I picked "I'm a Vol For Life Ya'll" to be played as we were leaving the funeral home; so win lose or draw, I'll never stop watching the Vols.

I'm in too far. I am an Atlanta Falcons fan (with all the pain that comes with that fandom), but I root for several teams on the side. I don't quite live and die with the Falcons these days, but every Saturday... heck, starting the first game week through the end of the season, every Tennessee game I still get the jitters that come with wanting success for the team and university so badly.

I don't think I could just release it because I never asked for it, it came organically the first time I walked through campus, the first time I saw Neyland from the interstate, the first time I heard thousands and thousands of people singing Rocky Top in unison. I just don't think I could let all that go. Besides, our issues have been mismanagement, not some cosmic force conspiring against UT athletics. I think we have competent leadership in place, now it is just a matter of turning the Titanic around.
What did the guy on the SEC Network call this.............something like, "you found big orange Jesus??"

Who won the Stanley Cup trophy in 2004? -- EXACTLY! It's not about the "titles" (though they are still nice to have). It's about the experience of being connected to a school. The education, the campus, the alumni, the fans, the GAMES! the atmosphere...... 100,000+ strong in Neyland, Men's and ladies basketball, Baseball --- I live in Virginia, now but still try to get back to UT about 3 or four times a year. -- Even when the teams are having a down year. I will support the VOLS in every effort, sport, and endeavor whenever I can. GO VOLS!!!

Please Lord make football season come before some fans lose their freaking minds.

Attachments

• its-a-pair-a-docks-47503802.png
    its-a-pair-a-docks-47503802.png
    87 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Bear with me, this does have to do with Tennessee football. It just won't be obvious at first.

As kids, for whatever reason, my brother and I decided we needed to pick out favorite pro football teams. Our dad was a huge fan of Vince Lombardi as a coach...so he watched the Packers. Not sure he really cared about the team, but he looked up to the man leading them.

So for whatever odd rationale that runs through the brains of 10-year-old kids, my brother picked the Cowboys. And I picked the Los Angeles Rams. I think Jack Reynolds may have had something to do with it, but not sure (remember him? Hacksaw Reynolds, a Tennessee Vol...and probably the most famous and notorious Los Angeles Ram at the time).

Anyway, I followed both the Vols and the Rams for many years. Decades, in fact. But the Rams never won a championship. Came close once or twice, were often a very good team, but never won it all while I followed them.

Some time in the 1980s, I got married and both my career and home life got super busy. I ran out of time for both college and pro fandom. Tennessee won out, of course, and I stopped following the Rams so close. Would keep up with game results, but not watch the games. You know that deal. Well, over time I stopped looking for the scores, too. It probably didn't help that in 2000 they beat the Titans, which I had started following. I was growing to actually dislike the team I'd picked decades earlier as "my favorite."

To get to the point: as everyone knows, the Rams won the Super Bowl last night. I didn't watch it, just don't care that much. But they did win. My wife and I were laughing about it this morning. And--here's the point--she said, "well, if you stop being a fan of Tennessee, maybe they'll win a championship." I replied, "yeah, in 20 years." She said, "You'll still be alive then." I concluded, "Yes...but I won't care."

And so that's the paradox I wanted to ask you all. I think I know the answer, for most folks anyway, but I could be wrong. Say you have the choice:

(a) You can stop caring about the Tennessee Volunteers, knowing they'll win a championship in a decade or two (but you won't care); or
(b) You can keep caring about the Vols, knowing that means they'll never win a national title again in your lifetime.

Which do you pick?

I mean, both suck. Absolutely suck. This is definitely a Sophie's Choice kind of thing. But is one less bad?

For me, I just can't stop being a fan of the lads in orange. Not even as a "sacrifice" so that the rest of you can get a championship some day. I think it's because it is about more than just winning championships--though striving for championships is vital (for me).

Anyway, I don't think I could stop following Tennessee; it's in my blood. Even if it meant they would never succeed. I just couldn't do it.

You?
Can I choose the paradox where you stop caring, but I don't and they win championships?

I have too many family and friends (and you all) that are UT fans.

I'd take not being selfish and have everyone enjoy a championship.

But the "not caring" part is unimaginable...so I'll assume I'm a vegetable. I'd want everyone to enjoy a championship. Oh and our rivals to be pissed 😁

I’ve loved Tennessee Football for over 50 years. I can break up my fandom into two parts. Before and after our National Championship in 1998. I can tell you without a doubt that I enjoyed the first 25 years more than the second 25 years after we won it all. Don’t forget we had some rough times back in the 70’s/80’s but college football meant more in a different way. Winning the SEC, winning a bowl, there was more hope for more teams, it wasn’t just about the big prize, the NC was the icing on top. Now college football has turned into all or nothing.

Tennessee football is so much more than National Championships and I’d give up the whole playoff system and ever winning it all to go back to the old pre BCS Bowl era.
Sort of moot for us. We haven't won the SEC or a bigtime bowl game since the playoffs anyway. And only the title since even BCS.

My point...I just think WE have forgetten how important those things are because we haven't been there. I 1000% guarantee you we'd all be buying up merch and hanging banners if we won the SEC, or less so even a NY6 bowl, next year.

Who won the Stanley Cup trophy in 2004? -- EXACTLY! It's not about the "titles" (though they are still nice to have). It's about the experience of being connected to a school. The education, the campus, the alumni, the fans, the GAMES! the atmosphere...... 100,000+ strong in Neyland, Men's and ladies basketball, Baseball --- I live in Virginia, now but still try to get back to UT about 3 or four times a year. -- Even when the teams are having a down year. I will support the VOLS in every effort, sport, and endeavor whenever I can. GO VOLS!!!
Ultimately - this is true. The journey is what matters.

Even titles are very much fleeting moments. There's a reason LSU fired O just a couple years after their best team ever won it all.

There's a reason there is a new preseason top 25 article just 1 week after the national championship game. Enjoy the ride, win or lose (but winning is a LOT more fun 😉). Even the highest levels of success become ancient history in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: IndianaVol

Which do you pick?

You?

First off all the Rams where a fun team to watch in the mid to late 80’s. We must be close in age as I was about 10 then. Pat Haden, Lawrence McCutchein- so? Fred Dryer, Hachsaw etc.

2nd. - I’m willing for you to give this a try. I will pretend I didn’t read this post as you are no longer a Vol fan and just don’t care anymore. We’ve tried everything else. Maybe this will work.

I became a fan when I married my wife who is a VFL. We won a National Championship under Phillip. When he got fired we made questionable choices for HC and even saying that we still are fans. Liked Coach Heupel's 1st year and hope he can turn it around where we compete with the upper echelon of the SEC.

If you cared about them winning a championship, you'd still be a fan, and if you didn't you wouldn't be a fan. Kind of a dumb question.

Either be a fan or don't be. The championships don't really matter in that realm.

Maybe I'm not understanding...

Don’t think you are understanding. OP’s comments were kind of meant to be tongue in cheek. Just a funny thought connecting last nights SB to the Vols. Not sure if he meant for you to read his post in all back and white with a 100% literal interpretation.

Which do you pick?

You?
It just means more! We can’t help it, it’s bred into us, it’s in our blood. Volunteers, Crimson Tide or Bulldogs, it’s a way of life, it’s pride, it’s being a part of something that no one outside of the SEC will ever understand.
GBO!!

I'm Vol addicted. All efforts to wean me off that orange hued drug has failed. Non-Vols substitutes, Packer Pandemic, Anti-Vol Cult deprogramming, and even spiteful personal attacks by some VN'ers. Nothing has worked. I'm hopelessly and utterly incurably Vol addicted.
Woodsman, you’re one of the best dudes on this site! Anyone that “attacks” you, is a punk and a clown!
GBO!!

Sounds like we have many diehard jinxes in this joint.

My brother(The one I used to think was king jinx.) said a jinx is just one more thing the Vols have to overcome to get the W. Seems to be thousands of y’all.

Get loud you bunches of jinxed. Keep Neyland hostile.

Jump Higher Vols!

I’ll say this, If Tennessee/ Huepel doesn’t get this headed in the right direction, Tennessee football may be done for decades. Another scandal, abrupt coaching change, losing games by wide margins and I don’t think it’ll ever recover. Tennessee football has been through hell and hopefully back with Huepel. I have to admit, I don’t and won’t live and die with what a bunch of 20 year olds do on a Saturday. A loss used to suck so bad but for the last 8 years, it doesn’t bother me at all and that’s sad.

VN Store

Back