A&M (not) hiring Mark Stoops

He should be honest like Barnes was. He didn’t have the “I couldn’t leave Kentucky” stuff at his postgame press conference. He was totally leaving and then the revolt happened. He should be real about it. Everyone knows he was out of there, and I wouldn’t blame him at all.

I don’t get the Ryan Day rumors. No way he leaves cushy OSU where the name recruits itself and the only team you worry about is Michigan every year to come recruit against the likes of Texas and Bama and has to face far stiffer competition.
OSU fans are calling for his head. Going to A&M would basically be a less proven but more Hungry version of Jimbo

Reactions: 508mikey
I don’t get the Ryan Day rumors. No way he leaves cushy OSU where the name recruits itself and the only team you worry about is Michigan every year to come recruit against the likes of Texas and Bama and has to face far stiffer competition.
It’s not cushy when you’re losing to Michigan every year

OSU fans are calling for his head. Going to A&M would basically be a less proven but more Hungry version of Jimbo

You don't take a lateral job in a almost impossible can't win situation unless you are forced out like Jimbo at FSU. This is my opinion, Ryan Day isn't going anywhere. Only money is a motivator, and when you have plenty it ain't much of one.

Reactions: WOKI
It’s a three year drought, he’ll be fine.
Are you familiar with the rivalry? A 3 year drought is huge. He may be fine, but his job right now isn’t cushy. Don’t get me wrong, he’s be dumb to leave, but I could say why he would. Coaches do dumb things. (See Lincoln Riley) He’s getting flamed up there. He better start beating Michigan , which will be easier next year, probably .

The fact no one over there mentions Heupel, speaks volumes about how he is viewed outside our echo chamber.

I just went to the A and M.forum. they are melting down of epic proportion. Very similar to us before we hired baldy. AD going behind board back, no direction for new coach... Entertaining to say the least

So I'm curious...do you get the feel that they wanted Stoops, felt like it was a curve ball, they are shocked he was high on the list, etc?

Reactions: Volfan1000
I think Mark Stoops is a really good coach at a horrible program.

I think he would have done well at A&M

He hit his ceiling at UK. The best he can give you is 8 wins and a competitive game against Tennessee when we are mediocre

Are you familiar with the rivalry? A 3 year drought is huge. He may be fine, but his job right now isn’t cushy. He’s getting flamed up there. He better start beating Michigan , which will be easier next year, probably .
I understand the rivalry perfectly fine. I’m saying, overall, the job is cushy compared to other jobs, in this case A&M. His only negative at the moment is not beating MU. So why would he leave that cushy of a job if he knows “beat them next year and I’m fine”? I’m not arguing for or against him or the warmth of the job. I’m just saying he’s not gonna leave OSU for a far tougher job.

I understand the rivalry perfectly fine. I’m saying, overall, the job is cushy compared to other jobs, in this case A&M. His only negative at the moment is not beating MU. So why would he leave that cushy of a job if he knows “beat them next year and I’m fine”? I’m not arguing for or against him or the warmth of the job. I’m just saying he’s not gonna leave OSU for a far tougher job.
Gotcha. I also don’t think he would or should leave. I just don’t think the pressure ratchets up with every Michigan win.

ATM has to hire someone to compete with Sark at Texas...especially now that they are both back in the same league.

Problem is that the AD has already come out and said the new HC won't get as much as Jimbo...that leads me to think this guy will be a short timer unless things go very very well.

So cue up an offer to guys like Chadwell or Candle...possibly a high level coordinator too.

I honestly think stoops would do good at a school with resources. He’s gone to 8 straight bowl games at Kentucky, that’s very impressive for what he has to work with there.

So I'm curious...do you get the feel that they wanted Stoops, felt like it was a curve ball, they are shocked he was high on the list, etc?
“According to TexAgs, Stoops had begun telling people in Lexington he was leaving. Back in College Station, a deal had been set in place, but A&M's Board of Regents had not approved the contract to make him the 31st head coach in program history.

Following the report, an uprising began among A&M fans via social media and A&M fan websites. The board became aware of the backlash and decided to nix the deal at the final hour.”

VN Store

Back