A.j. Suggs

duckman398686

VN's One and Only
Anybody know what he's doin nowadays? I remember after clausen beat him out freshman year he transferred to georgia tech. since then, his name kinda faded away. i was wondering if he was doing anything in a football organization or what.

Originally posted by vols2345@Feb 5, 2005 2:00 PM
isnt he from sever county high school?

No, you're thinking of Joey Matthews....Joey is on the police force in Sevierville last I heard of him....Beat warming the bench down in K-Ville LOL.....But I haven't heard anything about Suggs....Kinda like to know what he's up to lately as well

im pretty sure he quit football after he lost his starting job his senior year.

I was fortunate enough to talk to A.J.'s sister during A.J.'s junior year. She said the whole family was disappointed that he didn't get the start at UT because it meant so much to him. I told her I knew plenty of Vol fans that wished him the best at GaTech, and would like nothing better than to see him go out against UGA and have the game of his career. He never really showed the promise at GaTech that we got to see in him at UT, especially in that game at LSU. He always reminded me of Heath Shuler but with a bigger body. Very quick footed for a QB, not like Vick but he was deadly on the run because he could pull up and hit a guy between the numbers with a laser 30 yds downfield. I was really hoping he'd stay around. Could have used him in some of those games that Casey got hurt, and avoided that awkward Joey Matthews debacle.

I always thought the same thing about Suggs. Every time I saw him in a Georgia Tech uniform he never played the same as he did at UT. I think he had the potenetial to be a real good QB but he never could win many games for us. I remember the one night in Baton Rouge where he threw 62 passes for 300+ yards and several touchdown. he had a heck of a game even though we lost.

:dlol: :dlol: :dlol: :rocks: thats because we were down by like 28 by half time and we had to throw every play to come back. old vol could get 300 yards on 62 passes.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Feb 6, 2005 10:02 AM
:dlol: :dlol: :dlol: :rocks: thats because we were down by like 28 by half time and we had to throw every play to come back. old vol could get 300 yards on 62 passes.

Sounds like the Auburn game of 2003

Originally posted by duckman398686@Feb 6, 2005 12:40 PM
I know but it was still a good performance :angry:

Oh yeah, no doubt about it...I wasn't saying it wasn't just kind of sounded like deja vue lol

I live in the McEachern area. I do not know the Suggs personally but I work with some people that do. I remember them saying that AJ was working as a pharmacutical salesman in the area and he is now married.

I never thought AJ had the arm strength to be an SEC qb. After he went to GT he was beaten out by a true fr for the QB job. That should tell you alot.

I just found this thread, and A.j. Suggs went to my high school, and the games i went to when i was younger and he played, I dont remember him being any good, and his brother was the QB McEachern last yr. and he got hurt, and and a freshman took his place, and Andrew still isnt playin QB! But I have no clue what A.J. is doing now, but i wish him the best of luck!

He was pretty much a stud in high school - I know he was our state Player of the Year his senior year and I think McEachern went undefeated and then lost in the state finals.

I met him at a banquet after he had signed and we joked about him continuing our dominance over UGA. Little did I know that he would become the first QB to lose to GA since the 80's.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Feb 6, 2005 10:02 AM

That just goes to show you've never seen me throw. I was a defensive tackle.

Besides, back when I played, the ball was fatter and didn't spiral right. :pepper:

Ever heard of leather helmets? ;)

VN Store

Back