A Few Miserable Facts

Tennessee has never made an above market offer to go get a coach where we aren’t waiting on dominos to fall with other schools.

Case in point with Schiano and that idiot Currie. He was high on Mullen. As was I. At no point did we ever throw out an offer to make Mullen one of the top paid coaches in the country to force him to not wait out Florida. After all, getting Mullen meant beating our rival. Secondly, it’s clear that Mullen was worth the money given we are now on second coach since that search and Mullen is winning. Instead, Currie made a market offer and chose to play wait and see.

Tennessee has never made a blank check hire and that is why we continually get coaches who are never in hot demand. Tennessee isn’t gonna develop a coach into getting back to relevancy. We should have pulled an A&M and gone out of our way financially to get someone aka make a crazy high contact offer to someone who is likely to win. This isn’t hard. Tennessee is king of offering pennies while paying out dollars after cheap experiments don’t work out
My opinion only, but Mullen was going to wait until the UF job came open. Realistically he was never coming to UT, no matter how much was offered. Again, just my opinion.

My opinion only, but Mullen was going to wait until the UF job came open. Realistically he was never coming to UT, no matter how much was offered. Again, just my opinion.

Your opinion is most likely the truth. But Tennessee never offered him anything different give or take a few % than what Florida did. Given how Pruitt turned out, Tennessee should have offered him a crap ton to get him and ice their division rival. Especially given the fact he had Grantham coming. Tennessee will never bid for a hot commodity coach vs other schools and win. We have never thrown the money truck at coaches and “gotten our guy”

“Where coaches come to die”

Lol Tennessee Football is basically Afghanistan where emperors go to die
Except only their career dies. They reap the cash whirlwind and run off and relax. So its more like being the "Democratically elected President of Afghanistan" who flees the country with burkas full of cash as soon as his handlers pull chocks".

The future of college football will depend on how deep the pockets of donors are. The schools that come up with the best NIL programs will own and dominate the game. Schools like Texas and Oklahoma will be a threat to Bama and all of the other SEC schools who will not be able to afford elite players. Coaching will become less significant like it is in the NFL. The players will dictate how the game is played.

Tennessee Record vs FL, GA, AL since 1969

FL - 36 Games 9 - 27
GA - 36 Games 17 - 19
AL - 50 Games 16 - 32 - 1 1* Foreit AL

TOTAL 42 - 78 -1 1 122 Games

Somebody posted that Coaches come here to die. My thought is that they come here to draw a retirement Check

Battle On to AD and Sports Business
Majors the went on to Coach again at PITT
Fulmer Stole the Job from Majors (Hearsay wink wink) took a buyout Came back and took another Payout.
Kiffin = Bad contract bought out and left us at the Alter
Dooley - Was A AD, Lawyer, and was here to help us get through the NCAA investigation and the Football Complex. Coach was 4th on his list and received a Buyout
Jones = Used Car Salesman, Got Talent no Coaching ability, great Motivational speaker, Got Payoff, went to AL to learn how to coach took a low cut Salary to receive $$$$ back Coaching or Motivational Speaking
Pruitt = Experiment gone bad Fulmer felt he could Control Pruitt. Pruitt I guess thought it was ok to do what AL does. Pruitt will cost the University more money than the Buyout. Hopefully Danny White can fix this.

Maybe Heupel can fix this. They are a solid Corps but they did play with heart today. Point is this did not happen Last year it has been going on for years with Coach Selection.
Kiffen did leave us with a mess in the NCAA but not as bad as others.
We didn't and don't have the Balls to argue with the NCAA. When we should have done so we didn't this last incident has tied our hands. I wish we could make some of these coaches pay us back.

This is the reason you spend the money and get what you want the first second or third time.

Doug Dickey was the last good/great AD that we had I hope D White will make this happen.
Since 2005, things have been horrible. No doubt. However, the person who wrote this clearly doesn't like Tennessee and is trying to present the last 50 years of Tennessee football as being worse than it really is. It conveniently avoids discussing anything positive (such as the seasons from 1989-2004), and adopts a purely negative posture. Majors and Fulmer had their dream jobs here and both coached for 16 seasons. Majors left Pitt for Tennessee after winning the National Championship. This only focused on the negative.

Thread title should be a few miserable fans.
ewriniun9a40d3ri19xn.jpg

Your opinion is most likely the truth. But Tennessee never offered him anything different give or take a few % than what Florida did. Given how Pruitt turned out, Tennessee should have offered him a crap ton to get him and ice their division rival. Especially given the fact he had Grantham coming. Tennessee will never bid for a hot commodity coach vs other schools and win. We have never thrown the money truck at coaches and “gotten our guy”

Actually this isn’t entirely accurate. I work with a family member of an ex gator and current nfl player who is still in contact with many people at the university. Needless to say, he was told from staff members on mullens crew they were preparing to make the move to Knoxville. Remember the gators offered chip Kelly and after a first meeting chip had the president of the university fly to see him and his then girlfriend was spotted around Gainesville checking out the area.

Revisionist history would have us with successful Mullen and chip Kelly in the swamp, but in typical Tennessee fashion we catch the worst possible luck in the situation.

Actually this isn’t entirely accurate. I work with a family member of an ex gator and current nfl player who is still in contact with many people at the university. Needless to say, he was told from staff members on mullens crew they were preparing to make the move to Knoxville. Remember the gators offered chip Kelly and after a first meeting chip had the president of the university fly to see him and his then girlfriend was spotted around Gainesville checking out the area.

Revisionist history would have us with successful Mullen and chip Kelly in the swamp, but in typical Tennessee fashion we catch the worst possible luck in the situation.

Ah the I know somebody scenario. Sorry but you can say this all you want but nobody is gonna believe it. Mullen was never coming here. He knew UF would be a much better situation.

Ah the I know somebody scenario. Sorry but you can say this all you want but nobody is gonna believe it. Mullen was never coming here. He knew UF would be a much better situation.

Lol I could care less if people believe me or not. Coincidentally sports illustrated just realeased an article about Mullen to UF which included a quote from the UF ad Stricklen saying “ don’t take the Tennessee job yet” 😂

Lol I could care less if people believe me or not. Coincidentally sports illustrated just realeased an article about Mullen to UF which included a quote from the UF ad Stricklen saying “ don’t take the Tennessee job yet” 😂

Yeah that clearly proves your post as credible and correct. Insider status confirmed 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Yeah that clearly proves your post as credible and correct. Insider status confirmed 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I tell ya man ..you got me! I made the whole story up…and also I still think of Florida had bid for Mullen he would have taken the gator job of ours. But given the circumstances at the time he didn’t think they were interested in him, I don’t believe Mullen would have stayed at miss st over taking an offer for more money at Tennessee.

Reactions: cgrish
The gators on record were targeting 2 coaches post firing Mac…chip Kelly and Scott frost…neither of which wanted the job ..which made them move on to Mullen who had an offer on the table from us.

The reason why this came up in convo was them saying oh we thought we were going to Knoxville until they got the call from the gators..he was never going to turn down an offer from them to come to Tennessee. If we were the only offer then he would be here right now most likely.

All I know is if the SEC goes to pods our athletic Directors to threaten to leave the SEC if they put us in the pod with Alabama. Hard to set us back another five years at least.

Tennessee Record vs FL, GA, AL since 1969

FL - 36 Games 9 - 27
GA - 36 Games 17 - 19
AL - 50 Games 16 - 32 - 1 1* Foreit AL

TOTAL 42 - 78 -1 1 122 Games

Somebody posted that Coaches come here to die. My thought is that they come here to draw a retirement Check

Battle On to AD and Sports Business
Majors the went on to Coach again at PITT
Fulmer Stole the Job from Majors (Hearsay wink wink) took a buyout Came back and took another Payout.
Kiffin = Bad contract bought out and left us at the Alter
Dooley - Was A AD, Lawyer, and was here to help us get through the NCAA investigation and the Football Complex. Coach was 4th on his list and received a Buyout
Jones = Used Car Salesman, Got Talent no Coaching ability, great Motivational speaker, Got Payoff, went to AL to learn how to coach took a low cut Salary to receive $$$$ back Coaching or Motivational Speaking
Pruitt = Experiment gone bad Fulmer felt he could Control Pruitt. Pruitt I guess thought it was ok to do what AL does. Pruitt will cost the University more money than the Buyout. Hopefully Danny White can fix this.

Maybe Heupel can fix this. They are a solid Corps but they did play with heart today. Point is this did not happen Last year it has been going on for years with Coach Selection.
Kiffen did leave us with a mess in the NCAA but not as bad as others.
We didn't and don't have the Balls to argue with the NCAA. When we should have done so we didn't this last incident has tied our hands. I wish we could make some of these coaches pay us back.

This is the reason you spend the money and get what you want the first second or third time.

Doug Dickey was the last good/great AD that we had I hope D White will make this happen.
What if the coaches are simply not interested in coming here just for a paycheck. The fans are literally second guessing every decision. We are still under investigation. And we’ve had 40 guys leave the program for reasons other than used eligibility in just 2 years.

Rumor is that Franklin turned down a $90mil fully guaranteed contract because he wasn’t sure how the investigation was going to unfold. Freeze would’ve taken the job, and we would've had the NCAA hanging around to cripple us. Otherwise, no coach worth a crap would’ve taken our money. There are no shortcuts.

Reactions: MAUSERWERKE
This is what scares me most long term- SEC expanding. This is why I was so adamant during the last 3 coaching searches (that brought Butch, Pruitt, Huepel) we should pony up the cash and literally make someone highest paid coach next to Saban or Dabo. Since the league is expanding, Tennessee’s path to relevance only gets harder and job appeal gets worse. I do believe in good faith that White and Fulmer tried to hire the best they good the last two openings. I think one exception in Fulmer is that Kiffin was the best hire he could have made as he was actively lobbying for the job but Fulmer wasn’t gonna hire the guy who replaced him. Fulmer’s greatest act would have been swallowing pride to hire or Atleast interview Kiffin. Now we will watch Kiffin beat us going forward.

In regard to Danny White, I would have want gone to the best coaches not names Saban, Dabo, or Ryan Day and made them offers to be highest paid coaches in the country. Mainly, Lincoln Riley because the thought of OU leaving the Big 12 wasn’t there.

I just feel now we will have harder path because the blank check coaches we could entertain are in our conference now and we will get beat by them as they won’t have to leave jobs to coach in the best conference.

A&M literally paid everything to go get Jimbo to avoid regression after Sumlin. Not sure why Tennessee continues to go the same route and yes, I can say we continue to go the same route because we have never made a strong big money offer to any coach outside of Gundy. When’s the last time Tennessee went all in on a hire where money truly was no issue? We haven’t.
Last year. We were turned down and some turned us down on our initial overtures to them.

Last year. We were turned down and some turned us down on our initial overtures to them.

We made no serious big offers to “get someone”……

Especially when operating under the assumption that Pruitt buyout was voided. Hell we didn’t even do it pre Schiano.

Tennessee has the money to do it but I guarantee you if Tennessee put out a Jimbo contract offer, we’d get plenty of non chump coaches to interview. This isn’t hard. Tennessee gets cheap results by going into searches with cheap offers.

Since 2005, things have been horrible. No doubt. However, the person who wrote this clearly doesn't like Tennessee and is trying to present the last 50 years of Tennessee football as being worse than it really is. It conveniently avoids discussing anything positive (such as the seasons from 1989-2004), and adopts a purely negative posture. Majors and Fulmer had their dream jobs here and both coached for 16 seasons. Majors left Pitt for Tennessee after winning the National Championship. This only focused on the negative.

I was watching Volunteer Football before your parents were born. In addition we have known the Majors family and I attended School with Bobby Majors in 68 his PG year. I have been with this team since 1963 and have never swayed. My Family is All Vol 2 uncles that made the Train trip across the country with Gen Neyland to play in the Rose bowl. My first Bowl game was the Gator Bowl vs Syracuse and second was 1968 Orange Bowl against Oklahoma. Season Ticket Holder.

The Facts are what they are and I hate it. We have had piss poor Administration in the Athletic Department since Doug Dickey left.

I could go on for hours but no need to waste my time on a Snotty Nose Kid who would question a fans loyalty on a forum that dedicated to Our University. Pissed. I hate for you that you cannot deal with the Facts but Fans do come here to voice their concerns and voice the obvious. There are positives and negatives in life but I am tired of the players and coaches taking the brunt of it when it is the Board and the Administrations of past that have created this mess.

You pissed me off.....

Last edited:
What if the coaches are simply not interested in coming here just for a paycheck. The fans are literally second guessing every decision. We are still under investigation. And we’ve had 40 guys leave the program for reasons other than used eligibility in just 2 years.

Rumor is that Franklin turned down a $90mil fully guaranteed contract because he wasn’t sure how the investigation was going to unfold. Freeze would’ve taken the job, and we would've had the NCAA hanging around to cripple us. Otherwise, no coach worth a crap would’ve taken our money. There are no shortcuts.

The NCAA cloud makes no sense now. What Freeze did outside of the rug and tugs don’t matter as players can now get paid. Who knows. I like Huepel cause he can score points. First time we’ve had an offense head coach since Kiffin.

Especially when operating under the assumption that Pruitt buyout was voided. Hell we didn’t even do it pre Schiano.

Tennessee has the money to do it but I guarantee you if Tennessee put out a Jimbo contract offer, we’d get plenty of non chump coaches to interview. This isn’t hard. Tennessee gets cheap results by going into searches with cheap offers.

Where or Who initiated the Schiano offer come from. Currie didn't have the brains to come up with this one on his own. The problem with UT Football has been identified over and over and yet we forget.

I was watching Volunteer Football before your parents were born. In addition we have known the Majors family and I attended School with Bobby Majors in 68 his PG year. I have been with this team since 1963 and have never swayed. My Family is All Vol 2 uncles that made the Train trip across the country with Gen Neyland to play in the Rose bowl. My first Bowl game was the Gator Bowl vs Syracuse and second was 1968 Orange Bowl against Oklahoma. Season Ticket Holder.

The Facts are what they are and I hate it. We have had piss poor Administration in the Athletic Department since Doug Dickey left.

I could go on for hours but no need to waste my time on a Snotty Nose Kid who would question a fans loyalty on a forum that dedicated to Our University. Pissed. I hate for you that you cannot deal with the Facts but Fans do come here to voice their concerns and voice the obvious. There are positives and negatives in life but I am tired of the players and coaches taking the brunt of it when it is the Board and the Administrations of past that have created this mess.

You pissed me off.....
LOL. Far be it from me to stand in the way of a grumpy old fart while he is on a rant... but how do you know what year my parents were born? That is an odd claim to make on an anonymous internet forum. (for the record, they were born in 1941 and 1943, respectively - I was born in 1973 - which makes me 48). I graduated from UTK in 1996. I've been a fan of Tennessee football since 1981... and going to games since 1982.

Now that that is out of the way, if you take a closer look at what I posted, I didn't dispute the validity of anything which was written... but I did point out that it only focused on the negative. This program had a nice sustained run of success from 1989-2004, as I stated previously. Sorry you missed it, Grandpa.

Where or Who initiated the Schiano offer come from. Currie didn't have the brains to come up with this one on his own. The problem with UT Football has been identified over and over and yet we forget.

Schiano was the back up plan to Mullen and Someone else I believe. Our number 1 target was Mullen and we didn’t make him an offer to force him to make a decision. Our offer to him was comparable to what Florida did so we were gonna lose that fight from the beginning. We should have made an offer to make Mullen one of the top paid coaches in the country. One because that means we secured him as coach and two, we ice out our division rival. Given how Pruitt turned out, paying someone like Mullen who’s a proven commodity 7-10 million would have easily been worth it. Tennessee has no balls with coaching searches.

What I’m saying and have said for years is Tennessee will never win a coaching search when other schools are involved. Jimbo was certainly leaving FSU. A&M loaded their private jet with cash and went and made him take their offer. Tennessee has never done that and will never be serious about what is perceived as “mortgaging the future” financially to get a coach every 3 years when it’s time to “rebuild”

Reactions: Sudden Impact

It is my understanding and I cannot remember the exact details 8 months after the fact that we did or were willing to offer big money. It was all posted on here on VN leading up to the Heupel hire. Some of the top candidates turned us down before negotiations were even initiated.

All I know is if the SEC goes to pods our athletic Directors to threaten to leave the SEC if they put us in the pod with Alabama. Hard to set us back another five years at least.

You know what will happen, then, right?

UT will be put in a pod to avoid Bama just as Bama takes a nose dive and becomes irrelevant for a decade, and we'd never play them.

That's how our luck works.

VN Store

Back