A 2008 SEC East breakdown

Courtesy of the TFP's football staff.

A nice read over coffee..
1. GEORGIA
Needs replacement: Losing reliable kicker Brandon Coutu is significant, especially when his likely replacement hasn’t yet attended senior prom. Offensive line coach Stacy Searels will use spring practice to reshuffle the line following the departures of center Fernando Velasco and Chester Adams.

Offseason bragging rights:
The Bulldogs are extremely deep on defense, a necessity against the kind of teams they’ll face in 2008. Injuries will happen. Matthew Stafford should continue his maturation and Knowshon Moreno will be a Heisman Trophy candidate. The Bulldogs won seven straight to finish the season and only lose five starters.

Scheduling quirk: Four-game stretch at LSU, vs. Florida in Jacksonville, at Kentucky and at Auburn in the second half of the season is cruel and unusual punishment.

Outlook: The Bulldogs will be told how great they are for the next nine months. How will they handle adulation?

2. FLORIDA

Needs replacement: The Gators really struggled to pressure the passer in 2007, and defensive end Derrick Harvey didn’t exactly alleviate those concerns by turning pro early. Receiver Andre Caldwell is gone. Tim Tebow’s center, Drew Miller, is gone and so is the right tackle who protects Tebow’s blind side, Carlton Medder.

Caldwell may be gone, but tight end Cornelius Ingram elected to return for his senior season and incoming freshman receiver Carl Moore should make an impact. Tebow returns after winning the Heisman, but he could relinquish the honor to teammate Percy Harvin. Running back Emmanuel Moody is eligible after transferring from USC. The youthful secondary can’t get worse in 2008, right?

Scheduling quirk: Nine games are in the state of Florida.

Outlook: If the secondary learns from last year’s mistakes, the Gators will contend for a title again.

3. TENNESSEE

Needs replacement: Quarterback Erik Ainge is gone after what seems like a decade, and so are four members of the offensive staff. The most glaring loss is David Cutcliffe as a quarterbacks coach. The Vols lose five starters on defense and are hurt up the middle with Jerod Mayo and Jonathan Hefney departing.

Depth at running back, the best returning offensive line in the SEC and 1,000-yard receiver Lucas Taylor will ease the transition from Ainge to Jonathan Crompton, most likely the new quarterback. Eric Berry and Demetrice Morley give Tennessee one of the best safety combinations in the SEC.

Scheduling quirk: A September to remember: at UCLA, vs. Florida and at Auburn, which is not conducive to the development of a new quarterback.

Outlook: The SEC isn’t kind to new starting quarterbacks — even the great Tebow lost three times — but the Vols’ improved secondary should at least prevent Crompton from having to win shoot outs by himself.

4. SOUTH CAROLINA

Needs replacement: Quarterback Blake Mitchell is gone, and coach Steve Spurrier said he’s implementing more plays designed for a mobile quarterback, which means redshirt freshman Stephen Garcia should get some snaps. Tailback Cory Boyd, center William Brown and tight end Andy Boyd are gone.

Offseason bragging rights: Heralded defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder takes over a unit that could lose just one starter if star Jasper Brinkley receives a medical redshirt. All the receivers are back, including standout Kenny McKinley.

Scheduling quirk: Three of South Carolina’s four SEC road games are at Vandy, Ole Miss and Kentucky.

Outlook: South Carolina couldn’t run the ball or stop the run last season, which led to a five-game losing streak to end the year. The Gamecocks should at least be able to stop the run better in 2008.

5. KENTUCKY

Needs replacement: Almost all of the skill players on offense: quarterback Andre’ Woodson, receivers Keenan Burton and Steve Johnson, tight end Jacob Tamme and running back Rafael Little. Three starters on defense, including linebacker Wesley Woodyard, are departing.

Offseason bragging rights: New quarterback Curtis Pulley actually beat Woodson for the starting job two years ago but fell victim to poor academics. Running backs Derrick Locke, Tony Dixon and Alfonso Smith are promising and the defense will be experienced.

Scheduling quirk: The Wildcats get a week off before closing the season at Tennessee.

Outlook: Rich Brooks said a third straight bowl is the goal, but that seems like a reach since the offense will be much less dynamic.

6. VANDERBILT

Needs replacement: Only the SEC’s all-time leading receiver, Earl Bennett. And the entire offensive line. And five members of the front seven on defense.

Offseason bragging rights: The entire secondary returns, including talented cornerback D.J. Moore, which is crucial against an increasingly pass-happy SEC East. Both quarterbacks, Mackenzi Adams and Chris Nickson, will return.

Scheduling quirk: The Commodores play only six home games.

Outlook: And the bowl-less streak continues...

Here's their SEC West as well...
1. LSU

Needs replacement: Most of Nick Saban’s recruits. This is really Les Miles’ team now, particularly following the departures of defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, linebacker Ali Highsmith and safety Craig Steltz. The Tigers lose quarterback Matt Flynn, running back Jacob Hester and receiver Early Doucet on offense. Defensive coordinator Bo Pelini left for Nebraska.

Offseason bragging rights: Quarterback Ryan Perrilloux may be a new starter, but he already won an SEC title game. Keiland Williams and Charles Scott are capable replacements at running back. Chad Jones is a future star at safety and Ricky Jean-Francois will be a force at defensive end. There’s still plenty of talent.

Scheduling quirk: The nonconference schedule is easy — North Texas, Troy, Tulane and a yet-to-bedetermined opponent.

Outlook: Expect another quality season, but LSU fans might need to watch that national title DVD when hopes for a repeat disappear.

2. AUBURN

Needs replacement: One of the best defensive coordinators in the country, Will Muschamp, and his best player, Quentin Groves. Quarterback Brandon Cox is the only significant loss on offense as the Tigers return eight starters on each side.

Offseason bragging rights: Tommy Tuberville landed coveted offensive coordinator Tony Franklin to revive a failing offense, and Kodi Burns seems to be a nice fit at quarterback. Auburn’s new defensive coordinator will be pleased to watch the speed of Pat Sims, Sen’Derrick Marks and Tray Blackmon in the front seven.

Scheduling quirk: Auburn’s September is brutal: at West Virginia, at Mississippi State and home games against LSU and Tennessee.

Outlook: Like Tennessee, the Tigers will be unveiling a new offense and a new quarterback against a difficult early-season schedule. Losing Muschamp really hurts.

3. ALABAMA

Needs replacement: Two key wide receivers. DJ Hall, Alabama’s all-time leading receiver, is leaving along with Matt Caddell, the hero in the win over Arkansas. Defensive end Wallace Gilberry and safety Simeon Castille are two big losses defensively.

Offseason bragging rights: If Caldwell stays, Alabama will return eight starters and a solid offensive line. Six starters return on defense, including linebacker Rolando McClain. Nick Saban won the SEC title in his second year at LSU.

Scheduling quirk: Like most even-numbered years, just an awful road schedule: vs. Clemson in Atlanta, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee and LSU.

Outlook: Several of the veterans didn’t succumb to Saban’s demands as the season progressed, but those players are gone and the newcomers will be more easily influenced.

4. MISSISSIPPI STATE

Needs replacement: The Bulldogs’ talented pass-rushing defensive end, Titus Brown, who recorded eight sacks last season. Mississippi State will really miss receiver Tony Burks.

Offseason bragging rights: One of the SEC’s most underrated secondaries remains completely intact, led by senior free safety Derek Pegues. Quarterback Wesley Carroll should be much better as a sophomore and he’s surrounded by three senior offensive linemen and talented tailback Anthony Dixon. The team should return 17 starters.

Scheduling quirk: The Bulldogs will play six road games, including a game at Georgia Tech.

Outlook: A program headed in the right direction in the wrong division.

5. ARKANSAS

Needs replacement: Maybe the entire rushing attack. Darren McFadden is expected to leave and junior Felix Jones is projected as a first-round NFL draft pick. Peyton Hillis and Marcus Monk graduate. The defense loses five starters.

Offseason bragging rights: New coach Bobby Petrino brings his heralded reputation as an offensive guru to Fayetteville, a status that will be tested with the current personnel.

Scheduling quirk: Check out this early fourgame stretch: at Texas, Alabama, Florida and at Auburn. Welcome to the SEC, Bobby.

Outlook: The coaching change and losing McFadden, Monk and Hillis makes this a rebuilding year.

6. OLE MISS

Needs replacement: Punishing running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis is finished, which is certainly disappointing for new coach Houston Nutt. Both quarterbacks, Seth Adams and Brent Schaeffer, are gone. Tackle Michael Oher could enter the NFL draft.

Offseason bragging rights: Hey, a quarterback! Texas transfer Jevan Snead is eligible and will immediately inherit the starting job. He’ll have two capable receivers in Mike Wallace and Dexter McCluster. Greg Hardy, one of the most feared pass-rushers in the SEC, is back.

Scheduling quirk: The Rebels play Wake Forest, Florida, Alabama, Arkansas and LSU on the road.

Outlook: There’s some raw talent here, but Nutt faces a tough job.

as the season just ended, those all seem to be sound and reasonable.

obviously, i'll be holding my breath until after spring ball.......

I feel terrible for Houston Nutt..... he's gonna have a really rough year.... move over Vandy.

Van Gorders's back in the SECe.... the hits just keep on coming.

Ole Miss wasn't as bad as their 0-8 record indicated. The situation isn't as bad as it seems. I could see, with some coaching and breaks, them finishing 4th in the West. Sure, it's not GOOD, but not LAST, either.

Needs replacement: Quarterback Erik Ainge is gone after what seems like a decade, and so are four members of the offensive staff. The most glaring loss is David Cutcliffe as a quarterbacks coach. The Vols lose five starters on defense and are hurt up the middle with Jerod Mayo and Jonathan Hefney departing.

He put his finger squarely on that. Longest 4 year stretch of football since the mid-70's in Knoxville.

Everyone is saying TN is not going to be good next year because of the QB situation but I see alot of good things with Coleman and Crompton and people will be surprised next year!

With all these new innovative coaches, and Drayton bringing up UF's playbook on offense, UT should be the team to beat in the SEC east. UT's offense should be unstoppable. With uf's bad defense, I see a big UT win over UF early. UT 44 UF 34

Everyone is saying TN is not going to be good next year because of the QB situation but I see alot of good things with Coleman and Crompton and people will be surprised next year!

Yes, we all should know that predictions.... even trying to predict one weekend mid-season was hard enough, much less an entire season 9 months before it starts... is complete bunk.

With all these new innovative coaches, and Drayton bringing up UF's playbook on offense, UT should be the team to beat in the SEC east. UT's offense should be unstoppable. With uf's bad defense, I see a big UT win over UF early. UT 44 UF 34

Maybe Drayton can fax the UF Playbook to us from Kinko's before he leaves

This article is bogus, other than Georgia and Florida on top. The other 4 are a crapshoot, so the guy just lists them in order of historical finishes.

Snead is a good player who should help Ole' Miss....

Then again I thought Schaeffer was going to help that program too!

Schaeffer could have helped that program, if they hadn't had a Neanderthal as head coach.

Ole Miss may not move up much in the SEC, with it being so tough, but they will be much improved.

4 teams can win the East next year

Outside of that, I don't care

UF, UT, UGA, and USC can all win it

To be fair, UK had a chance in 2007...so 5 times had a chance this year :crazy:

Yeah, it's easy to forget UK actually had a competitive football team this year. :)

I remember at one time.. I think right before the USCe game, all of the SEC-E was in the top 25 except Vandy. That is nuts.

Hardly. If you think UK is going to be within 2 games of UT, you're insane.

Yeah, I dont know what Kat's thinkin, UF, UGA, USC, are all going to be better next year, and if UT players click with Clawson, they could much, much better next year

There is no way of knowing that.

Being delusional comes with being a Kentucky fan, but although we´ve lost some skill players on offense, there is a stable of running backs with significant game experience, as well as wide receivers. The question is at the QB position, although I think that Coach Sanders will be able to groom Pulley into a potent SEC threat. Pulley DOES have some SEC game experience, too. The Defense will be stronger than last year.

My question about UT is that there is no way of knowing how well the new OC will be able to institute his new system. It´s a total unknown.

USC is baffling. They started off strong, but faded in the stretch. I still think that Spurrier is looking for a way out.

Vandy is Vandy.

Personally, I believe that UK will end up 7-5 or 8-4. If UT finishes 2 games ahead, more power to them. They will have overcome a lot of change to acheive that.

VN Store

Back