LSU—Win
Alabama—Loss
UT Martin—Win
Kentucky—Win
Georgia—Loss
Missouri—Win
S. Carolina—Win
Vanderbilt—Win

10 wins are doable, with a possible 11th in a quality bowl game! Some might question the Pit game, but they lost their all-everything QB to the NFL and we will be better…which means we win. Similarly, FL seems to always have our number…not this year…UT wins at home. LSU will try to delay with fake injuries, but it won’t help them. Alabama will be closer than it’s been in a while, but alas their depth beats us in a close one in the 4th quarter. Similarly, GA will outgun us in the 2nd half. And finally, we win the last 3 for a 10 win season! GBO!
Why so certain over UF? If the argument against UF is Napier’s abilities (which could be true), how about all those other times UF had a garbage coach that curb stomped UT (Zook, Muschump, McIlwain)? I’m not believing a win over UF until I see it. UK had two first rounders against Pruitt and still got stomped. Sometimes psychology trumps everything in these winning streak series.

Why so certain over UF? If the argument against UF is Napier’s abilities (which could be true), how about all those other times UF had a garbage coach that curb stomped UT (Zook, Muschump, McIlwain)? I’m not believing a win over UF until I see it. UK had two first rounders against Pruitt and still got stomped. Sometimes psychology trumps everything in these winning streak series.

That's why so certain over UF. Winning the battle psychologically first and then on the field.
Vols win this one easily this season. :cool:

Go Vols!

This is going to be a tough year. I see it as:

Pros:
1) coaching and the offense
2) Veteran qb
3) another year of development and recruiting under Heupel

Cons:
1) Defense still shaky from reports as of spring
2) The bowl game didn’t engender a lot of confidence when we had a vast talent advantage
3) Still lacking talent in a lot of areas relative to competition

The goal this year should be beating UF, not dropping a SC/UK/MO game, and trying to make second in the east while winning a bowl game. What happens with LSU is a bonus if we win. Thinking we’re beating UGA or Bama is delusional-need Danny White to back off and let NIL pull in some guys before we go there. Losing to all but Bama/UGA/LSU is probably a guaranteed second place finish in the East. I should probably add we can’t have anymore three plus TD blowouts to Bama and UGA. Especially with our offense this year. I’m thinking 9-4 (we’ll lose to Bama/UGA/LSU with a final loss to one of UF/USCjr/Bowl opponent)

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I think kinda like 2016 beat a team :cough: Florida and lose to someone u shouldn't
Now without the mistakes of Lyle could be 9-3 10-2

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Is this a likely result, or does UT stumble a bit this season? There are no wrong answers - we are playing with house money now!

Calling it a stumble seems excessive. All progress is not linear nor is it always measured through wins/losses

Ball State—Win
Pittsburgh—Win
Akron—Win
Florida—Win
LSU—Win
Alabama—Loss
UT Martin—Win
Kentucky—Win
Georgia—Loss
Missouri—Win
S. Carolina—Win
Vanderbilt—Win

10 wins are doable, with a possible 11th in a quality bowl game! Some might question the Pit game, but they lost their all-everything QB to the NFL and we will be better…which means we win. Similarly, FL seems to always have our number…not this year…UT wins at home. LSU will try to delay with fake injuries, but it won’t help them. Alabama will be closer than it’s been in a while, but alas their depth beats us in a close one in the 4th quarter. Similarly, GA will outgun us in the 2nd half. And finally, we win the last 3 for a 10 win season! GBO!
Florida is never a definite win for the vols...... Until defense improves, 7 wins max for the vols

Pass rush. All about pash rush. Our secondary is not good, so we need Young and Baron to have All-SEC type years to have a shot at 10 wins.[/QUOT
Omari/Simmons next to make that next leap. Both need to ratchet it up this summer. That combo w/BY and TB has potential to be a good front 4 and you’re right—it all starts w/pass rush. Good pass rush is a secondary’s best friend.

Ball State - W
Pittsburgh - W
Akron - W
Florida - toss up
LSU - toss up tho I think we win
Alabama - L
UT Martin - W
Kentucky - could go either way
Georgia - L
Mizzou - W
South Carolina - Shouldn't be a toss up but that it is
Vanderbilt - W

We have to get back to UK, UScE, & Vandy as layups. It may not be like that again but it'd be a lot cooler if it were

Ball State - W
Pittsburgh - W
Akron - W
Florida - toss up
LSU - toss up tho I think we win
Alabama - L
UT Martin - W
Kentucky - could go either way
Georgia - L
Mizzou - W
South Carolina - Shouldn't be a toss up but that it is
Vanderbilt - W

We have to get back to UK, UScE, & Vandy as layups. It may not be like that again but it'd be a lot cooler if it were

USCe, Vandy, and Mizzou sure looked like layups in 2021. :)

Kentucky was a close game...then again, we've beaten Kentucky 8 out of the last 10 and 34 of the last 37. Odds will always be in our favor (for those who are paying attention).

The steps forward we gotta make this year are (1) Pitt (should be almost as much a gimme game as KY), (2) Florida (they're a basket case, we seem to be the only program in America that doesn't realize it), and (3) LSU (toughest of the three, I think). On top of that, we gotta make the Bama and UGa games closer, not necessarily beat them, but make it close enough that everyone involved recognizes we might have.

If Josh Heupel is the guy to return us to championship football, that's the 2022 homework we gotta get done.

Go Vols!

Until the defense can stop someone, almost any game is winnable or losable.

See Purdue game, where they were missing multiple high end starters. See KY. See Pittsburgh.

This type of offense almost always makes the defense struggle, as the defense gets tired. See Ole Miss, 2012-2017 Texas A&M, etc etc.

Reactions: PowerT83
LSU who knows at this point. Kentucky looks tough on paper but we always win there. Florida looks like a win but we always manage to lose those games.

Reactions: PowerT83
the way I see it, under 10 is a big disappointment and I really want the two losses to be close and the winner feel lucky to have won!

Last edited:
I believe it is 8 or 9 this year. Seven would be an underperformance unless there's a plague of injuries.

IMO this is the order of the most likely losses:

Bama
UGA
LSU
UK
UF
Pitt

UT should not lose to any of the rest.

Reactions: 9876543vol
Interesting read, thanks!

It's not quite a "they're ready to contend for championships" endorsement, but nonetheless it is nice to be back in the kinds of conversations that also involve USC, Texas, Penn State, and Miami.

That's the kind of crowd we traditionally run with. That's the kind of crowd (along with Bama, UGa, Michigan, Ohio State, and Oklahoma) that we need to get back with, all the time.

Go Vols!

Reactions: overseasorange2
Is this a likely result, or does UT stumble a bit this season? There are no wrong answers - we are playing with house money now!
Ima say 10 wins I'm sick of reading articles against us. LSU isn't as strong as they used to be. Yes they have talent they always have a lot of talent but new coach and I think they struggle a bit. Pitt lost their qb and their wide reciever not saying we will beat them by 4 TDs but it'll be fairly close I think we win by 10. Florida is in the gutter we beat them by 2 TDs. Kentucky will give us a good fight but they will lose. Bama and Georgia will beat us and we beat everyone else.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back