9 of 54 is Jordan Bowden

And he doesn't appear to want to be any more than that, which only compounds the matter.
I'm not sure he doesn't "want" to be more than that...I think any player wants to be "the man", but it's just not in the DNA for some guys.

For example, when I play golf, I want to be "the man" and play like I think I'm capable of playing. However, I miss several short putts that make me look stupid. I "want" to make them and practice them more than any other part of my game. However, for some reason I just suck at short putts.

What does this have to do with Bowden? Not sure, but when I started it sounded like a logical analogy.

Oh well, Go Vols!

Bowden is a great 6th man. You give him 24-28 minutes a game and I feel like he's at a different level.

At some point, you reach the point where chunking up shots becomes a detriment to winning. Bowden has reached and surpassed that point. Look at it objectively. It is what it is.
If your Barnes and you reach that conclusion then you bench him. He can't be out there passing up wide open three pointers. If the defense is sagging that much your not getting anything inside. Somebody else has to shoot them.

Reactions: cardvolfan
What did he mean by letting somebody else miss shots? Seems like the board is interpreting that as CRB isn't happy with JB's scoring slump. But is he actually saying that if Bowden isn't making contributions in other ways (defense, rebounding, assists) then somebody else deserves his minutes? Wasn't CRB challenging him to step up in those other areas moreso than calling him out for bad shooting?
His ball handling has been atrocious. He dribbled right into at least 4 traps Saturday with two of those turning into easy baskets. Mentally, he is way off his game, especially for a senior. Defensively, he's been okay, but has gotten lost on occasion. He needs a reset. Love the kid, but all phases are pretty poor at this point.

I'm not sure he doesn't "want" to be more than that...I think any player wants to be "the man", but it's just not in the DNA for some guys.

For example, when I play golf, I want to be "the man" and play like I think I'm capable of playing. However, I miss several short putts that make me look stupid. I "want" to make them and practice them more than any other part of my game. However, for some reason I just suck at short putts.

What does this have to do with Bowden? Not sure, but when I started it sounded like a logical analogy.

Oh well, Go Vols!
Oh, you can make those short putts. You can turn that around and be the best putter in your foursome.

Oh well, Go Vols!
I just think he doesn’t succeed as the focal point and he knows that, which is why he is more content playing a role instead of stepping up to lead his team. He isn’t a natural leader and doesn’t want to be one. I can’t blame him for not wanting to be something he isn’t. It just hurts the team that he’s incapable of being that leader with Turner out. As an almost 23 year old senior, that hurts even more because he’s a logical fit for that role. It just isn’t in his DNA, to use your words.

Move him to point. Couldn't be any worse that what we have there. James and Vescovi move to wings and let Bowden feed them. Would knock off about 10 TOs too.

I believe that would be a disaster. He seems to me to be better at catch and shoot. He really needs other guys around him to star, like Grant and Admiral did. Vescovi has the best handle of all the guards, even though he is turning it over some.

I believe that would be a disaster. He seems to me to be better at catch and shoot. He really needs other guys around him to star, like Grant and Admiral did. Vescovi has the best handle of all the guards, even though he is turning it over some.
Not that it changes what you said, but to add to it, Vescovi being the best ball-handler is more of an indictment on our current situation than a compliment to him. He is very loose for a PG, and very left-hand dominant.

Reactions: VolAmerican
Not that it changes what you said, but to add to it, Vescovi being the best ball-handler is more of an indictment on our current situation than a compliment to him. He is very loose for a PG, and very left-hand dominant.

I believe & hope the game slows down for SV, it's been a whirlwind come in start 1st day refs are different than what he's used to. Probably got away with some walks that get called here. Playing a Frank Martin team IMO will pay dividends down the road in your face D all 40 minutes. SV probably never seen that intensity. Also probably never played for such large crowds. He is just 18, so i'm impressed so far and hoping to see him and JJJ step up as mid season freshmen and take some pressure off JB.

Guys, we are being really hard on a young man going through a lot right now. Jordan lost his only senior teammate for the season, he lost his grandmother which is way bigger than basketball, and he is now looked upon as the “go to guy.” That’s not what Jordan is and that’s not what he will be. He is a guy that if he’s hot can give you between 13-18 points every night, and that’s who he is the majority of the time. What we are asking him to do would be the equivalent of asking Cameron Tatum to do. Y’all do remember Cameron Tatum right? He was a deadly 3 point shooter like Bowden is most the time, but I know for a fact that Tatum could not have been a “go to guy.” The message I’m trying to get across here is to be patient and give the kid time to adjust. He is a true senior and was never asked to go get a bucket before and to be that go to guy. This is all new territory for him, and he is going through a lot. I personally love Bowden as a person and as a basketball player. He will turn it around because he worked too hard to lose it at this point in his career.

He is a guy that if he’s hot can give you between 13-18 points every night, and that’s who he is the majority of the time.

I think you are saying the potential is there for Bowden to put up those kind of numbers 'the majority of the time'. Whereas the facts state that he's had ample opportunities to get hot and has only done so a couple of times.

He's reacted positively to coming off the bench before - why not try it now? Bring him in after the first tv TO since our options are so limited...just anything different to break the skid imo.

Reactions: orangemadam
I think you are saying the potential is there for Bowden to put up those kind of numbers 'the majority of the time'. Whereas the facts state that he's had ample opportunities to get hot and has only done so a couple of times.

He's reacted positively to coming off the bench before - why not try it now? Bring him in after the first tv TO since our options are so limited...just anything different to break the skid imo.
Not saying he should start just saying we should know he’s not a go to guy. We all got spoiled with our team last year

I believe & hope the game slows down for SV, it's been a whirlwind come in start 1st day refs are different than what he's used to. Probably got away with some walks that get called here. Playing a Frank Martin team IMO will pay dividends down the road in your face D all 40 minutes. SV probably never seen that intensity. Also probably never played for such large crowds. He is just 18, so i'm impressed so far and hoping to see him and JJJ step up as mid season freshmen and take some pressure off JB.
Agree that there is a lot of room for improvement, and he has shown some tools that we can definitely work with. That said, I think, long-term, he profiles more as a 2G than a PG, but someone who can give us valuable minutes at PG in a backup role, when needed. He just needs to shore up his ball-handling and become more versatile.

Last edited:
Reactions: sechamp2012
Maybe Bowden should try to get back to that solid mid range game he had. Then work his way back out

Maybe Bowden should try to get back to that solid mid range game he had. Then work his way back out
I was hoping the wide-open lay-up he had against SC might get him going, but he blew it.

Typically it seems that streaky shooters need to make a couple of free throws, and just see the ball go in the basket in order to get back on track. However, Bowden as of late is making the first and missing the second, which doesn't do anything to grow his confidence.

I was hoping the wide-open lay-up he had against SC might get him going, but he blew it.

Typically it seems that streaky shooters need to make a couple of free throws, and just see the ball go in the basket in order to get back on track. However, Bowden as of late is making the first and missing the second, which doesn't do anything to grow his confidence.
I was hoping the filthy block he had with 8:35ish in the first half would have gotten him a little out of the funk. Hopefully against UGA

Reactions: sechamp2012
1579027858322.png

FWIW...out of 350 DI basketball teams, UT is currently 264th in FG % (.421), 262nd in 3-pt FG % (.316) and 300th in scoring offense (66.3 ppg).

View attachment 254262

FWIW...out of 350 DI basketball teams, UT is currently 264th in FG % (.421), 262nd in 3-pt FG % (.316) and 300th in scoring offense (66.3 ppg).
EN3IszCWsAEW1lt

Reactions: lostsheep
I dont think i have seen the catch and shoot play at the foul line once this year.Seems like he took that shot 5 times a game last year and it was money.

It really is amazing where the W/L record is now. Those numbers better start improving because the back half of the SEC schedule is brutal
We're actually 2 games ahead in the win column thru 15 games compared to our 15 and 16 win seasons. so maybe not as bad as I thought during my Manic Episode. Intersting that 16 th game was a loss in both seasons for some dejavue effect.

Reactions: vols 30

VN Store

Back