9 of 54 is Jordan Bowden

It is all mental. Many of the misses today were wide open. When he has to put the ball on the ground he has no clue what to do. Wonder why we aren’t running anymore of those elbow curls for him anymore?
I agree. With my limited knowledge I haven't seen anything obvious mechanically wrong he's doing and he's still getting wide open looks at the basket. It seems the staff is completely lost as to why he's tanking too. I would be in favor of bringing him off the bench but he still needs to be playing 25- 30 minutes a game for us. We know he can stroke it. We just don't know what causes him to do it with consistency. At least I don't.

Think Barnes will follow thru and sit him? Implied in his presser he would.
Yeah, but he has repeatedly said that players have to take open shots so if he puts Bowden in the game he expects him to let it fly.

Something surely has to be done. Bowden is in a very bad slump. The team worked to gain him good open looks.....which he missed.

However this Tennessee team had/has just two players “willing” to take all those “missed” shots........Turner and Bowden. Turner is gone and Bowden is still on the shooting slump.

Who, does Tennessee have that can......or will take all those shots (if/when Bowden is benched)? Seriously?

Tennessee can put Gaines, or Johnson or even Pember in there......but are they going to take an extra 12-15 shots per game. Most of these players are looking to pass (it seems to me) and take a shot only when it’s wide open or only if they have to.......someone is going to have to take shots on every single possession......or at least that’s the goal.

Bowden is taking a lot of shots. He is surely missing a lot of shots.....but I don’t see anyone else “willing” to do it on a possession by possession basis.

Either Bowden gets over his slump or “someone” is going to have to start doing something (shooting) they simply haven’t been willing to do.......(and lately I would assume most of those would be misses as well).

I prefer to let the HOF coach determine when to bench anyone or what to do in practice. Or has this board simply done with JG bashing and turned to JB bashing. You guys act like you've never seen a shooting slump or a batting slump. When I was a boy I remember Jerry West went into a horrible slump in the NBA finals. For 6 games he could barely make a shot. West was one of the best shooters in NBA history. In the 7th game he broke out of his slump and led the Lakers to the title. You just never know when a slump is going to happen or when it's going away. I just know you don't get rid of a slump by benching a player.

JB has been a cornerstone in the resurgence of TN basketball the last two years and he deserves our support in the slump cause we're not going any where without him. The slump could go away in a game or two, but JB is too good a shooter for it to last too much longer.

Reactions: Lurker
I prefer to let the HOF coach determine when to bench anyone or what to do in practice. Or has this board simply done with JG bashing and turned to JB bashing. You guys act like you've never seen a shooting slump or a batting slump. When I was a boy I remember Jerry West went into a horrible slump in the NBA finals. For 6 games he could barely make a shot. West was one of the best shooters in NBA history. In the 7th game he broke out of his slump and led the Lakers to the title. You just never know when a slump is going to happen or when it's going away. I just know you don't get rid of a slump by benching a player.

JB has been a cornerstone in the resurgence of TN basketball the last two years and he deserves our support in the slump cause we're not going any where without him. The slump could go away in a game or two, but JB is too good a shooter for it to last too much longer.
Listen to the Barnes presser. He was the one doing the so called bashing. He said if Jordan Bowden isn't going to play we're not gonna leave him out there. We'll give some one else a chance to miss those shots.
that's all any one here is saying. Try sumpin else.

Listen to the Barnes presser. He was the one doing the so called bashing. He said if Jordan Bowden isn't going to play we're not gonna leave him out there. We'll give some one else a chance to miss those shots.
that's all any one here is saying. Try sumpin else.

What did he mean by letting somebody else miss shots? Seems like the board is interpreting that as CRB isn't happy with JB's scoring slump. But is he actually saying that if Bowden isn't making contributions in other ways (defense, rebounding, assists) then somebody else deserves his minutes? Wasn't CRB challenging him to step up in those other areas moreso than calling him out for bad shooting?

What did he mean by letting somebody else miss shots? Seems like the board is interpreting that as CRB isn't happy with JB's scoring slump. But is he actually saying that if Bowden isn't making contributions in other ways (defense, rebounding, assists) then somebody else deserves his minutes? Wasn't CRB challenging him to step up in those other areas moreso than calling him out for bad shooting?
Had to listen to it a couple of times. Seemed like it was the reason for inserting Pember. the giving other guys a shot part. He also complained about him missing wide open lay ups. and when asked what he could do to fix it, said you'll have to talk to Jordan. Sounded like he was pissed about his shooting. Also said he looked like he was forcing them again and mentioned one really bad shot he took. didn't mention other parts of his game.

PS He also talked about Pember and the young guys not playing defense so seems he's between a rock and a hard place.

Had to listen to it a couple of times. Seemed like it was the reason for inserting Pember. the giving other guys a shot part. He also complained about him missing wide open lay ups. and when asked what he could do to fix it, said you'll have to talk to Jordan. Sounded like he was pissed about his shooting. Also said he looked like he was forcing them again and mentioned one really bad shot he took. didn't mention other parts of his game.

True, CRB does criticize his team for missing bunnies and taking bad shots.

I think that Pember played lots of minutes fairly early was because Vescovi and JJJ were in foul trouble and rather than throwing DP in late he put him in early to shake off the jitters. Initially playing inexperienced freshmen late by necessity in a close game rarely ends well.

We may need to zone GA some. Especially if Pember plays - Edwards and Co. will take him off the dribble all night. Bowden and everbody else had better be prepared to give maximum effort on D or it could get ugly early and often.

No question there is something wrong. No one with his skilled goes 1-17 in a game. Hell, any of us here could do that.

Yep think he was 1 of 12 on 3's. Usually a shooter in a slump will try to put up some short 2's to get his mind right. After he missed the layup (0 for 5 on 2's). In my mind, I was like just play D, rebound and distribute unless you get the ball at shot buzzer time.
His last miss was epic bad.

Reactions: Bennessee01
We may need to zone GA some. Especially if Pember plays - Edwards and Co. will take him off the dribble all night. Bowden and everbody else had better be prepared to give maximum effort on D or it could get ugly early and often.
If Barnes asks Pember to guard Edwards, I'm done.

He needs to keep shooting. End of story. If he's open he has to shoot. It's not like anybody else is making them. Maybe James and he needs to keep shooting open shots as well. We are getting nothing inside till someone starts making shots.
At some point, you reach the point where chunking up shots becomes a detriment to winning. Bowden has reached and surpassed that point. Look at it objectively. It is what it is.

Reactions: spyfish007
Jordan came off the bench last year and did fine. It's time to make that change this season.

Everyone keeps saying this, but WHO do you start over him?

He's struggling on offense, but he's not playing poorly defensively.

If Barnes asks Pember to guard Edwards, I'm done.
Seems absurd, but Edwards jacks them up from way beyond the line fairly regularly. He just can't stop the thrill he gets from those attempts. Put Pember out there, let him stand on the line and bait Edwards into shooting 30-footers. Take this with a little blue font mixed in.

Seems absurd, but Edwards jacks them up from way beyond the line fairly regularly. He just can't stop the thrill he gets from those attempts. Put Pember out there, let him stand on the line and bait Edwards into shooting 30-footers. Take this with a little blue font mixed in.
If Pember guarding Edwards guaranteed he'd shoot exclusively 30-footers, I'd take it. Unfortunately, the reality is Edwards would instead be at the rim before Pember even got turned around...lol.

Jordan came off the bench last year and did fine. It's time to make that change this season.

He came off the bench because he was the 4th or 5th option on a good team. He is one of the 5 best this year, but go and read that first sentence again. People expecting a guy who wasn't highly recruited, and never more than option 4 at best to suddenly be an alpha dog and be the leading scorer for a good SEC team was foolish. If he wasn't a local kid (and apparently great kid at that) he would be getting blasted a lot more than what he has gotten.

Bowden has produced more than I ever thought he would in the SEC, but he is what he is. Bowden is a role player that is now seeing the other team's best defensive perimeter player and he isn't handling it well. He isn't big and strong enough to consistently finish at the rim, nor is he explosive enough to consistently beat his man off the dribble. So he tries to take one or 2 dribbles and pull up around the foul line which is considered one of the worst shots in basketball according to analytics.

Barnes seems to only go to a zone if the opponent has drawn up a play coming out of a time out. Maybe he would go there with certain lineup combinations, but other than trying to catch the opposition off guard or when in a full court press the zone has been rarely used this year. Maybe there's not enough practice time available to be effective with it.

He came off the bench because he was the 4th or 5th option on a good team. He is one of the 5 best this year, but go and read that first sentence again. People expecting a guy who wasn't highly recruited, and never more than option 4 at best to suddenly be an alpha dog and be the leading scorer for a good SEC team was foolish. If he wasn't a local kid (and apparently great kid at that) he would be getting blasted a lot more than what he has gotten.

Bowden has produced more than I ever thought he would in the SEC, but he is what he is. Bowden is a role player that is now seeing the other team's best defensive perimeter player and he isn't handling it well. He isn't big and strong enough to consistently finish at the rim, nor is he explosive enough to consistently beat his man off the dribble. So he tries to take one or 2 dribbles and pull up around the foul line which is considered one of the worst shots in basketball according to analytics.
And he doesn't appear to want to be any more than that, which only compounds the matter.

VN Store

Back