9 defensive lineman on the current roster...

I also know football and no, we don’t need a lecture. Are we flush with LBs all of a sudden, and want to play some 3-4? You wanna roll with a DE heavy front? Baron can play, so will it be Young and Eason holding the other side? Neither has played a snap of DL for this team. The fact is no one knows how many DL we need for our style of play. But BEGINNING the season with 9 guys - many of which have no experience - doesn’t seem to be enough. I remember we played KY on the road 2 years ago and no less than 10 DL made at least 1 tackle in that game. That was with a 70 man travel squad. That game was 2/3 through our season, so we began the year with more than 10.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
We’re much more sound at ILB than the Spring…low bar there. The other LINEBACKERS you referenced are fairly deep. Baron, Young, Eason, Harrison, Joseph and when you mix in the Viper/Star types like Mohan and Marley and Alontae Taylor…we have even more options. I’m positive that Banks and crew will mix and match til they find the right skillset, but there’s NO WAY they’re going to slap 4 310 behemoths down at the same time! Maybe two like that and then the SDE on the left will be a more svelte 275 maybe even 250. That isn’t either Middleton or Emerson. So we have 6 DT’s to man two spots…that’s 3 rotations. Butler, Bumphus, Blakely would man the SDE…3 rotations again. As sjt posted, we’re leagues above what we did in 2009 and I never hear the doomsday angst accounts from that era. Take it as a non-desperate point of view or take it as a “lecture”…or don’t. If you’re determined to crawl up on that ledge, far be it from me to dissuade you. Happy scaling.

I also know football and no, we don’t need a lecture. Are we flush with LBs all of a sudden, and want to play some 3-4? You wanna roll with a DE heavy front? Baron can play, so will it be Young and Eason holding the other side? Neither has played a snap of DL for this team. The fact is no one knows how many DL we need for our style of play. But BEGINNING the season with 9 guys - many of which have no experience - doesn’t seem to be enough. I remember we played KY on the road 2 years ago and no less than 10 DL made at least 1 tackle in that game. That was with a 70 man travel squad. That game was 2/3 through our season, so we began the year with more than 10.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
Baron played mostly DE in high school...

We’re much more sound at ILB than the Spring…low bar there. The other LINEBACKERS you referenced are fairly deep. Baron, Young, Eason, Harrison, Joseph and when you mix in the Viper/Star types like Mohan and Marley and Alontae Taylor…we have even more options. I’m positive that Banks and crew will mix and match til they find the right skillset, but there’s NO WAY they’re going to slap 4 310 behemoths down at the same time! Maybe two like that and then the SDE on the left will be a more svelte 275 maybe even 250. That isn’t either Middleton or Emerson. So we have 6 DT’s to man two spots…that’s 3 rotations. Butler, Bumphus, Blakely would man the SDE…3 rotations again. As sjt posted, we’re leagues above what we did in 2009 and I never hear the doomsday angst accounts from that era. Take it as a non-desperate point of view or take it as a “lecture”…or don’t. If you’re determined to crawl up on that ledge, far be it from me to dissuade you. Happy scaling.
Clearly we need some camp info so we can discuss that, rather than argue with each other 😀.

I trust Garner to knows what he wants, and he and Banks will need 1-gap “up the field” guys that
cause mayhem. Baron and Eason are listed at Lb but those will be 2 of our DE for sure. If they weren’t part of the 9, we’ve discussed than that would help a lot. But since our D will be on the field a lot, we can I’ll afford injuries/suspension, and must rotate a lot.

As for the LB, Mitchell and the other transfer from Michigan will help. But they didn’t go through spring ball. Nor did Beasley or Willis. Harrison and Joseph are still learning new positions. So we have Banks and some question marks. We will continue to use the portal for the next couple of years, which isn’t the end of the world.

Clearly we need some camp info so we can discuss that, rather than argue with each other 😀.

I trust Garner to knows what he wants, and he and Banks will need 1-gap “up the field” guys that
cause mayhem. Baron and Eason are listed at Lb but those will be 2 of our DE for sure. If they weren’t part of the 9, we’ve discussed than that would help a lot. But since our D will be on the field a lot, we can I’ll afford injuries/suspension, and must rotate a lot.

As for the LB, Mitchell and the other transfer from Michigan will help. But they didn’t go through spring ball. Nor did Beasley or Willis. Harrison and Joseph are still learning new positions. So we have Banks and some question marks. We will continue to use the portal for the next couple of years, which isn’t the end of the world.
It's July, and the coaches still haven't truly
talked about their defensive scheme.

I have no idea what our base personnel is.
Is Roman Harrison ILB or stay OLB?
Do we have 2 types of OLBs?? The big and smaller kind.
Of 4-2, 3-3, 4-3?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

I counted Baron and Eason and Harrison and Joseph and Young as 5 that will take snaps at WDE…not sweating. I previously listed 6 that will man the 2 DT on the interior…3 rotations. Leaving SDE with Blakely, Bumphus and Butler. That’s 14.

Mitchell’s an experience starter, so I don’t have him as a question mark. Less physically talented than Toto but better instincts at this point. At worst a negligible drop and at best a fundamental upgrade. Mohan was interviewed after committing and said they were interested in playing him at ILB, but that was before Willis (and Beasley) were reinstated. His strength is going after the QB, so it’s apparent that Viper/Star position is his fit. It’s not ideal that Willis and Beasley are the projected backups but compare that to the Spring and I’m not writing sad ballads. Roman Harrison and Morven Joseph are the wild cards here because they were taking snaps at ILB in the Spring…but so was Upshaw. Maybe they’ll continue to work there as well as RDE for depth and flexibility options. This is how I’m viewing the same available information and feeling better to downright satisfied with the situation. Doesn’t make me right until Fall camp.

Mitchell’s an experience starter, so I don’t have him as a question mark. Less physically talented than Toto but better instincts at this point. At worst a negligible drop and at best a fundamental upgrade. .
Having watched a few of his games... I'm not sure that's true. After HT lost weight he was noticeably weaker and didn't look any quicker or faster. Mitchell appeared to play pretty well in space and have good stopping power.

We will see what HT does at Bama. I have begun to wonder if HT's success as a FR didn't owe a lot to just how good Bituli was.

Having watched a few of his games... I'm not sure that's true. After HT lost weight he was noticeably weaker and didn't look any quicker or faster. Mitchell appeared to play pretty well in space and have good stopping power.

We will see what HT does at Bama. I have begun to wonder if HT's success as a FR didn't owe a lot to just how good Bituli was.
Always willing to revisit.

Reactions: sjt18
I thought I counted 13 DLs with the transfers.

Caleb Tremblay
Dajon Terry
Jaquan Blakely
Elijah Simmons
Omari Thomas
Dominic Bailey
Kurrott Garland
Latrell Bumphus
Matthew Butler
Aubrey Solomon
Tyler Baron
Byron Young
Bryson Eason

All of these guys will put their hand down at some point this season.

And I think Young and Baron are going to give us a nice pair on the edge.
If i'm not mistaken didn't Bailey leave for Jackson St and go play for Deon Sanders?

VN Store

Back