9 Americans Dead after Mexican cartel attack

You propose legalizing hard drugs?

Yes. It sucks that people want to do hard drugs but the war on drugs has made the problem worse. Bring it above board and there are all kinds of benefits:

you can tax it
you can regulate it and make it safer
you don't have to spend $50B+ policing it
you can spend some of those savings on solving addiction problems
drug addicts will see better outcomes when they aren't treated like criminals
black market mostly disappears
violence associated with drug use mostly disappears
foreign cartels and many domestic organizations lose largest source of $

There is still a growing underground market for marijuana in legalized areas to avoid taxes.

marijuana-is-legal-in-colorado-but-the-illegal-market-still-exists

True, 60 minutes had a story on how legalization in CA has lead to a boom in illegal pot because of all of the taxes and fees legal growers and retailers have to pay. It's a great example of how the .gov can **** up a wet dream. They (.gov) went overboard thinking legalizing pot would fill their coffers. I'm sure it's the same in CO.

Just regulate drugs like alcohol, booze isn't taxed to the point good illegal product is a cheaper and easier to get.

Reactions: McDad
Yes. It sucks that people want to do hard drugs but the war on drugs has made the problem worse. Bring it above board and there are all kinds of benefits:

you can tax it
you can regulate it and make it safer
you don't have to spend $50B+ policing it
you can spend some of those savings on solving addiction problems
drug addicts will see better outcomes when they aren't treated like criminals
black market mostly disappears
violence associated with drug use mostly disappears
foreign cartels and many domestic organizations lose largest source of $
lulz.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
You propose legalizing hard drugs?
The money spent on policing it would be better invested in treatment. It sounds odd to suggest legalizing it, but the current plan is a complete failure. Stop arresting people who are buying it here and launch military campaigns on countries manufacturing it.

Reactions: davethevol
The money spent on policing it would be better invested in treatment. It sounds odd to suggest legalizing it, but the current plan is a complete failure. Stop arresting people who are buying it here and launch military campaigns on countries manufacturing it.

Yeah let's invade more countries, I can't see a downside.

I do.

Legalize it all and sell them like booze.
I agree pot should be legal. You legalize heroine, coke I can see lots of problems with that. I already see enough people destroying their hearts with coke and the heroine overdoses are just ugly and turn out badly most of the time. They end up with anoxic brain injury.
Pot can ease allot of ills, pain, cancer treatment side effects, weight gain issues. THC is medically useful and I rarely hear about someone high on pot intentionally killing anyone.

I agree pot should be legal. You legalize heroine, coke I can see lots of problems with that. I already see enough people destroying their hearts with coke and the heroine overdoses are just ugly and turn out badly most of the time. They end up with anoxic brain injury.
Pot can ease allot of ills, pain, cancer treatment side effects, weight gain issues. THC is medically useful and I rarely hear about someone high on pot intentionally killing anyone.

I'm a firm believer in letting stupid people pay the consequences for being stupid.

True, 60 minutes had a story on how legalization in CA has lead to a boom in illegal pot because of all of the taxes and fees legal growers and retailers have to pay. It's a great example of how the .gov can **** up a wet dream. They (.gov) went overboard thinking legalizing pot would fill their coffers. I'm sure it's the same in CO.

Just regulate drugs like alcohol, booze isn't taxed to the point good illegal product is a cheaper and easier to get.

It is only 15% in CO though. Relating to this story, I doubt the cartels even run marijuana anymore.

My take on this isn't going to be pretty:

From what I gather they are a group of Mormons who left and went to Mexico many years ago to escape the polygamy laws here and became duel-citizens. Why are we up in arms about this? The deaths are tragic but you have to be responsible for your own safety and living in Mexico where cartel violence is very real isn't the smart thing to do. I also say this for aid workers who go into other 3rd world countries and are taken hostage.

It is only 15% in CO though.

I'd bet that there are a whole heap of back-end fees and taxes on the growers and retailers/distributors. In the 60 min piece one grower they interviewed said he pays about $45-50k per year in taxes, fees and mandatory audits just to grow about 50 plants.

VN Store

Back