9-1-18 First Off Play?

Coach Fulmer: Jeremy, just run it up the gut play one and two since you don't know if you can trust these young QBs.

Coach Pruitt: aight, but what if West Virginia comes out juiced up and stuffs us and we end up with a 3rd and 15 or something. Shouldn't we play for a short yardage pass that takes their adrenaline into account.

Coach Fulmer: don't worry, 3rd and 15 is right where you want them!

Coach Pruitt: aight, what!!??

Coach Fulmer: yeah, you spread them out and send three go routes, but you keep your Fullback in the pocket for "protection".

Coach Pruitt: oh, you're talking about that draw play that y'all ran every time on 3rd and long?

Coach Fulmer: yeah, worked every time.

Coach Pruitt: Coach, I love you, but except for one time when you had a guy break about 45 tackles at South Carolina, that never worked. Boy, I bet that kid loved his cornbread growing up.

Coach Fulmer: hey, there's Coach Helton! Helton, 3rd and 15, first drive vs. WVU: what's your go to play?

Coach Helton (consulting playbook): Fullback Draw.

Coach Pruitt: aight fellers, there's a pier down yonder I believe I need to jump off of. (exits)

Coach Fulmer (laughing and handing Helton a 100 dollar bill): thanks! we got him good there.

Coach Helton: Anytime! (pauses) Still not running that draw though.

Coach Fulmer: Hey, there goes Guarantano! Just out of random curiosity, what is his go-level with the audible this year?

Coach Helton: I mean, depending on the situation, he can audible . . . Coach, where are you going? Don't fill that boy's head with that Fullback Draw nonsense! Oh, crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
It’s going to Wolf on a PA to the flat for about 6 yards. Then we punch them in the mouth and carry the fight.

Coach Fulmer: Jeremy, just run it up the gut play one and two since you don't know if you can trust these young QBs.

Coach Pruitt: aight, but what if West Virginia comes out juiced up and stuffs us and we end up with a 3rd and 15 or something. Shouldn't we play for a short yardage that takes their adrenaline into account.

Coach Fulmer: yeah, you spread them out and send three go routes, but you keep your Fullback in the pocket for "protection".

Coach Pruitt: oh, you're taking about that draw play that y'all ran every time on 3rd and long?

Coach Pruitt: Coach, I love you, but except for one time when you had a guy break about 45 tackles at South Carolina, that never worked. Boy, I bet that kid loved his cornbread growing up.

Coach Fulmer: hey, there's Coach Helton! Helton, 3rd and 15, first drive vs. WVU: what's your go to play?

Coach Pruitt: aight fellers, there's a pier down yonder I believe I need to jump off of. (exits)

Coach Fulmer (laughing and handing Helton a 100 dollar bill): thanks! we got him good there.

Coach Fulmer: Hey, there goes Guarantano! Just out of random curiosity, what is his go-level with the audible this year?

Coach Helton: I mean, depending on the situation, he can audible . . . Coach, where are you going? Don't fill that boy's head with that Fullback Draw nonsense! Oh, crap.

Totally. Awesome.

Thanks, Rifleman, got a big laugh out of that. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
It's the off-season, folks. A few more weeks of downtime. A period for revery. Indulge now, for when the season starts, we're all in it.

Someday, when enough seasons have past, you'll get this. Until then, heed my gentle advice. Give your hearts to hope and your minds to musings of over achievement, good fortune, and moments of glory. Reality will be upon us soon enough. May the Fates grant that some of our fanciful forethought comes true.

I’m already there, Dilly Dilly!

Green Grass and High Tides Forever!

Coach Pruitt: aight, but what if West Virginia comes out juiced up and stuffs us and we end up with a 3rd and 15 or something. Shouldn't we play for a short yardage pass that takes their adrenaline into account.

Coach Pruitt: oh, you're talking about that draw play that y'all ran every time on 3rd and long?

1) I just lost a life.
2) you have to have a fullback.
3) you got a like.

What's your thoughts on first play from scrimmage?

- Chandler behind Smith on counter
- Jennings deep post, Callaway fly, with W-A on a delayed crossing up the middle
-Jennings crossing with W-A on an out
???

Almost certainly a running play. I’m taking bets for those that disagree.

Stretch play off right tackle to Chandler, we find out our WR's can block well...play goes for 17 yards.

It will appear to be a busted play. WVU defense will over pursue. The UT ball carrier will get free. A key block in the open field will allow him to take it all the way. The radio crew will play a recording of John Ward saying, "Give him six!" The roar of Tennessee fans will be heard in the Fourth Ward, Wilmore, and Wesley Heights. People will stop in their tracks at the wonder of it.

Can I get an amen?

Reactions: shotgun83
Stretch play off right tackle to Chandler, we find out our WR's can block well...play goes for 17 yards.

I actually like this idea. It would give JJ a shot at mauling a DB first play and setting the tone for him the rest of the game.

Pro 22 Slam with a hard count to get West Virginia to try and jump. If they don’t jump then we’re running it up the gut to establish the tone. No funny business, this isn’t butch ball any more fellas and chicks. You’ll see a pass on first down once we establish the Run, and only after we’ve established the run game!

GBO

Last edited:
It will appear to be a busted play. WVU defense will over pursue. The UT ball carrier will get free. A key block in the open field will allow him to take it all the way. The radio crew will play a recording of John Ward saying, "Give him six!" The roar of Tennessee fans will be heard in the Fourth Ward, Wilmore, and Wesley Heights. People will stop in their tracks at the wonder of it.

I admire the gusto and imagination.

It'll be between the tackles for 4 yard gain

VN Store

Back