8/25 Practice?

It's not rocket science, but his absence doesn't have any weight in the OU game. He hasn't played anything besides ST so far.

Heard Hubbs discuss this this morning. Said losing Gaulden is gonna sting. Says he "ran away with the first team nickel", implying that no one else was close to his performance at thst position. Said they ideally want to slide over Cam to the nickel now and have Martin take that CB spot. However, said they don't believe Martin is close to ready to do so, so they will likely keep Cam at CB and move Foreman to that nickel, which is a huge drop off from what they believe Rashaan would've been.

Reactions: 1 person
Heard Hubbs discuss this this morning. Said losing Gaulden is gonna sting. Says he "ran away with the first team nickel", implying that no one else was close to his performance at thst position. Said they ideally want to slide over Cam to the nickel now and have Martin take that CB spot. However, said they don't believe Martin is close to ready to do so, so they will likely keep Cam at CB and move Foreman to that nickel, which is a huge drop off from what they believe Rashaan would've been.
Fair enough, however IMO, it won't have an effect on the OU game. Now if it does, I'll be willing to eat crow about. I may forget, so Cat will have to remind me.

Hyams said something close. Can't remember the exact words but basically, Gaulden was a bigger loss than most realize.

Fair enough, however IMO, it won't have an effect on the OU game. Now if it does, I'll be willing to eat crow about. I may forget, so Cat will have to remind me.

You may right about the Okla game 18....if they try to pound the running game, which is exactly what I think I'd do vs Tennessee with the RB talent they have and our youth up the middle, we'll be in base a majority of the time. Wildcard is the new OC and his new offensive scheme. If that's the case, that'll hopefully buy Martin an extra week or 2 or 3 (West Carolina is game 3) to get up to speed at corner to that Cam goes to nickel just in time for Florida

I agree losing our penciled in starter is big. But there are talented options too. Besides Foreman, Abernathy has been getting looks there. Between, Foreman, Abernathy, and Sutton at nickle, and Moseley, Martin, and Sutton at corner, they should have a strong secondary. And the safeties are more than capable of helping out where needed.

You may right about the Okla game 18....if they try to pound the running game, which is exactly what I think I'd do vs Tennessee with the RB talent they have and our youth up the middle, we'll be in base a majority of the time. Wildcard is the new OC and his new offensive scheme. If that's the case, that'll hopefully buy Martin an extra week or 2 or 3 (West Carolina is game 3) to get up to speed at corner to that Cam goes to nickel just in time for Florida

Good post.

Oh, and I rest my case.

No sunshine pumping here. I'm no Eddie Vol Halen, but he'll be a nega towards the end of the season when half of his predictions don't ring true.

I'm just picking on you. Eddie is insane lol. I just want to beat one of Florida or Oklahoma and I'll be a happy man.

I think Gaulden's loss will be felt more heavily in the Oklahoma game than probably any other of the year (short of going to Atlanta).

Oklahoma has a talented passing QB, with talented WRs as targets, and a solid pass pro O-Line. That is more than can be said about most (any?) of our other 2015 foes. Half of them are still picking out a QB from among less-than-inspiring options. Some of them have one significant WR, and that's it, everyone else is utterly unproven. With a QB that can easily be flustered by our DLine, and/or a single threatening WR that we can lock Cam onto, well, the bulk of our time can be spent countering the run game. Because they won't have much success passing.

That's not true of Oklahoma. They have the elements they need, including multiple proven and promising WR targets: Sterling Shepard is an all-american, their alpha male WR, but they also have Neal, and Young, and Quick, and a JUCO named Westbrook who's supposed to be hot, and a 4* freshman named Andrews who might contribute from the start of the year ... in fact, I think it's fair to compare their stable of WRs with our own. Many lucrative targets for this new, touted gunslinger QB Baker Mayfield to look for.

Bottom line is, yep, if there's a single game we could most use Rashaan's talents in, this would be the one. It does indeed hurt to lose him.

Last edited:
I agree losing our penciled in starter is big. But there are talented options too. Besides Foreman, Abernathy has been getting looks there. Between, Foreman, Abernathy, and Sutton at nickle, and Moseley, Martin, and Sutton at corner, they should have a strong secondary. And the safeties are more than capable of helping out where needed.

Definitely talented options which is great. Just not the best option. Foreman and Abernathy would both concern me...Foreman for his inability to win a position in 3 years and Abernathy because of his inexperience. The answer, according to Hubbs, seems to be getting Martin up to speed ASAP. The question is how soon it happens so that we're as optimal as we can be at a very important position.

JP what do you predict for the OU game? High scoring?

Cat, I think if it is high scoring, Oklahoma will win. Say, 60+ total points.

If the defenses catch hold and keep it a low scoring game, like 45- points, I think we win.

Because our defense is, for now, our strong suit. Oklahoma is pretty balanced, D to O. So we want to hope for it to be a D-dominated game.

Then again, I could be dead wrong, Josh could get out there and find a smokin' hot North and Malone, and we could win a 48-42 barn burner. lol, I've never been the best on the planet at predicting a game (though I do well enough with the bowl pick'em pools!) :)

What do you think? Shootout, or slugfest?

Let's cut through the chase. Give examples. What Dooley recruits that are starting would you replace younger Butch recruits?

I'd start Todd Kelly Jr. and Evan Berry over Randolph and McNeil. I believe TKJ and Berry are better. TKJ based on his performance last year as a backup. Berry based on his performance in the spring. If Randolph and McNeil start once again, it'll be purely based on seniority. I'm actually looking forward to the secondary next year (even without Cam) because we'll be better at safety once TKJ and Berry take over.

I'd start Todd Kelly Jr. and Evan Berry over Randolph and McNeil. I believe TKJ and Berry are better. TKJ based on his performance last year as a backup. Berry based on his performance in the spring. If Randolph and McNeil start once again, it'll be purely based on seniority. I'm actually looking forward to the secondary next year (even without Cam) because we'll be better at safety once TKJ and Berry take over.

I expect that if Randolph and/or McNeil start, it'll be based on experience. Which can sometimes allow a less talented player to out perform a more talented player.

If it was only because of seniority, how do you explain TKJ taking over McNeil's spot for a time last year? McNeil took it right back; not because of seniority, but by out-playing him.

Momma wants to point out the post above, as an example. Terrible angles, missed tackles, a missed assignment at Oklahoma that resulted in an OU touchdown, and I could go on. Hey, if you are an x teammate, classmate, relative, that is fine but just say so. He might move up to McNeil's place now. But he is not as good as McNeil.:whistling:

Momma wants to point out the post above, as an example. Terrible angles, missed tackles, a missed assignment at Oklahoma that resulted in an OU touchdown, and I could go on. Hey, if you are an x teammate, classmate, relative, that is fine but just say so. He might move up to McNeil's place now. But he is not as good as McNeil.:whistling:

McNeil was worse as a freshman...and as a sophomore.

VN Store

Back