7th in AP Poll

The team that struggled against Georgia St, uNC Charlotte, Vandy, UK, and lost to mizzou, arky, and A&M. Yea. Gtfo.
Yet somehow they are 3rd in the SEC East and only 4 teams in the conference have a better record than they do. The SEC must truly suck for a horrible team to be that high in the conference

All you guys that are mad need to stop crying about this. The fact the we are behind bama is 100% on us for mailing it in and getting absolutely railed in the butt by USCe. We don't have anyone to blame but ourselves.

Reactions: slobberknocker
Take off your orange glasses and take into account that we lost two games that weren't close, and one of those losses was historically embarrassing.

Bama lost two very close, last second games to top 10 teams on the road.

They have a slightly better resume based on those losses.

Only real retort to this is that Bama didn’t have to play UGA or SCAR and we destroyed the other team that beat Bama. SCAR beating Clemson in Death Valley with a possible playoff berth on the line should show voters that SCAR is one of the hottest teams right now.

Reactions: Kristy*
Says who? Head to head should take precedent over losses.

Says anyone not wearing their kool-aid glasses

2 Teams - Both 10-2 records

Team 1 -
Loss 1 by 14 pts to lower ranked top 5 team.
Loss 2 by 25 points to unranked 5 win team
Total loss margin- 39 points

Team 2-
Loss 1 by 3 points to top 10 team (still top 10)
Loss 2 by 1 point to top 10 ranked division winner
Total loss margin - 4 points

Team 1 squandered head to head advantage in rankings with a lackluster loss to a lesser ranked opponent, and then a blowout loss to a pitiful team.

And to think, UT is responsible for SoCar having enough moxy to turn around and beat Clemson the next week.

Most proud of the boys in orange this year. Totally unexpected, and such an exciting season. But to deny Bama's 2 losses are better than Ut's 2 losses is absurd. Don't like it....don't get blown out by a pathetic team. It is what it is.

I am ok with Bama being ranked ahead of Tennessee. Vols blew their opportunity to keep destiny in their own hands. The loss to SC was terrible by historical margins. I also believe that the loss to Georgia could have been worse. That’s my opinion…I think they killed the clock because they knew they already had the game won.

One could also argue that Bama barely won against Texas, A&M, and Ole Miss…. Yet they were still wins.

Let’s see if the CFP honors this:

1669655072900.png

Reactions: bpalmer28
We aren't one of the 4 best teams, but absolutely we should be ahead of Alabama. We beat them, and we handily beat the other team that beat them, at their place. The one bad loss we had, which isn't a common opponent, shouldn't be considered. We have a higher SOS, more wins against top 25 teams, and we BEAT them. If we are projecting based on other losses where there is no common opponent, then why the hell are we even playing the games? On field results HAVE to matter.

Them being above us and in the talk for the CFP is brand bias and nothing more. There isn't one single objective standard anybody can point to that puts Bama higher than us, they can only point to "Tenn got beat bad by USC", the same USC that just beat Clemson and with no point of reference to Alabama.

This isn't orange colored glasses, it's common sense.

Says anyone not wearing their kool-aid glasses

2 Teams - Both 10-2 records

Team 1 -
Loss 1 by 14 pts to lower ranked top 5 team.
Loss 2 by 25 points to unranked 5 win team
Total loss margin- 39 points

Team 2-
Loss 1 by 3 points to top 10 team (still top 10)
Loss 2 by 1 point to top 10 ranked division winner
Total loss margin - 4 points

Team 1 squandered head to head advantage in rankings with a lackluster loss to a lesser ranked opponent, and then a blowout loss to a pitiful team.

And to think, UT is responsible for SoCar having enough moxy to turn around and beat Clemson the next week.

Most proud of the boys in orange this year. Totally unexpected, and such an exciting season. But to deny Bama's 2 losses are better than Ut's 2 losses is absurd. Don't like it....don't get blown out by a pathetic team. It is what it is.

In your opinion, do losses count more than head-to-head and bigger body of work? Name one quality win Bama has. Ranking one team ahead of another based on comparing not just equal number of losses, but the nature of the loss, is projecting. On field results have to matter. We beat Bama, and destroyed the other team that beat them.

Are we better than Bama? Objective, on-field results say we are. One has to project to come to another conclusion.

Bama's 2 losses are better than UT's 2 losses. Head to Head goes out the window when you get pounded by an unranked team.

It shouldn't. Our accomplishments, which include a 5-1 record vs ranked opponents, more than make up for the loss to SC. Alabama’s best win of the season was against 8-4 Ole Miss. They squeaked past Texas and 5-7 Texas A&M. Lost head-to-head to Tennessee and lost to a team that Tennessee beat by 27. No way they should be ranked ahead of the Vols.

I'll never understand why some people look straight toward comparing losses. That comparison favors the teams that haven't accomplished as much and in this case it ignores over 80% of each team's season.

Reactions: rjd970
Bama's 2 losses are better than UT's 2 losses. Head to Head goes out the window when you get pounded by an unranked team.

No, and the fact that it is happening is absurd. Who has the better losses gets negated by head-to-head and common opponents. Everything that has actually happened on the field, that we know, proves we are better than Alabama.

It shouldn't. Our accomplishments, which include a 5-1 record vs ranked opponents, more than make up for the loss to SC. Alabama’s best win of the season was against 8-4 Ole Miss. They squeaked past Texas and 5-7 Texas A&M. Lost head-to-head to Tennessee and lost to a team that Tennessee beat by 27. No way they should be ranked ahead of the Vols.

I'll never understand why some people look straight toward comparing losses. That comparison favors the teams that haven't accomplished as much and in this case it ignores over 80% of each team's season.

Sorry, looking objectively, when they comapre all the nice things of both teams, it will bring them to a blowout loss to an unranked team that only became bowl eligeable off of UT, and a 39 point loss margin in their two losses verses 4 points. The elephant in the room is that a team with a 5-1 record against ranked opponents, and the #5 ranked team in the country had absolutely no excuse to get blown out by a 5 win unranked team that has been absolutley pathetic the entire season right up until you rolled for them.

Reactions: Clayton
I don't get the theory that who you lose to matters more than who you beat. Tennessee's wins are undeniably far better than Bama's.

The "quality loss" argument is being made all over the place by Penn State fans as why they should be ahead of Tennessee. I guess to be consistent the group here arguing Bama deserves to be ahead of Tennessee would also have PSU above UT and Bama both as they lost to #2 and #5. Show me a team with better "quality losses" than that.

In your opinion, do losses count more than head-to-head and bigger body of work? Name one quality win Bama has. Ranking one team ahead of another based on comparing not just equal number of losses, but the nature of the loss, is projecting. On field results have to matter. We beat Bama, and destroyed the other team that beat them.

Are we better than Bama? Objective, on-field results say we are. One has to project to come to another conclusion.

And then lost by 14 to a lesser ranked team, then lost by 25 to a 5 win team.

It shouldn't have to matter. Yes, UT did win head to head. THey have a really sound resume with multiple wins against ranked teams. But, when both end up with the same record, and one is ranked 1 spot up, and that head to head was a 3pointer, and their losses totalled on 4 points verses your 39 points....Then yes, they lost way better then we lost. It's just facts.

And then lost by 14 to a lesser ranked team, then lost by 25 to a 5 win team.

It shouldn't have to matter. Yes, UT did win head to head. THey have a really sound resume with multiple wins against ranked teams. But, when both end up with the same record, and one is ranked 1 spot up, and that head to head was a 3pointer, and their losses totalled on 4 points verses your 39 points....Then yes, they lost way better then we lost. It's just facts.

What facts are we talking about? The only facts here are what we know that actually played out.

Again, it's all projection. If the nature of equal number of losses without commonality matter more than on field results, then why play the games? It shouldn't matter if UT loss by 100 points to St. Mary's schoold for the blind. Every objective standard that actually played out on the field is clear.

No, and the fact that it is happening is absurd. Who has the better losses gets negated by head-to-head and common opponents. Everything that has actually happened on the field, that we know, proves we are better than Alabama.

All true. I'm just stating fact why Bama will remain in front of us by one spot in the polls. IF, and we know it won't happen casue Bama, they adhere strictly to their own published criteria then UT should remain ahead of Bama. But, it won't happen. They are already up and will remain so. And the reason why is a 25 point loss to an unranked team the week before. AP is more subjective. Maybe CFP will stick to their creedo.

All true. I'm just stating fact why Bama will remain in front of us by one spot in the polls. IF, and we know it won't happen casue Bama, they adhere strictly to their own published criteria then UT should remain ahead of Bama. But, it won't happen. They are already up and will remain so. And the reason why is a 25 point loss to an unranked team the week before. AP is more subjective. Maybe CFP will stick to their creedo.

It sounds like we agree on what should vice what will happen. I just think you are putting more credence on the USC loss than is warranted. It's bad, we all agree, but it shouldn't matter as much as it seems you and the CFP are making it out to be when comparing UT and Bama.

As an aside, if Bama gets in as the first 2-loss team then the system has lost any and all credibility.

Sorry, looking objectively, when they comapre all the nice things of both teams, it will bring them to a blowout loss to an unranked team that only became bowl eligeable off of UT, and a 39 point loss margin in their two losses verses 4 points. The elephant in the room is that a team with a 5-1 record against ranked opponents, and the #5 ranked team in the country had absolutely no excuse to get blown out by a 5 win unranked team that has been absolutley pathetic the entire season right up until you rolled for them.
You say you're looking objectively, but you're not. You're just looking at one game. One game that has no connection to Alabama. According the CFP's own selection criteria, the games that matter most are the head-to-head matchup and the games against a common opponent: Tennessee vs Alabama, Tennessee vs LSU & Alabama vs LSU.

If you want to look at record against ranked opponents, you see that we are 5-1 and Alabama is 2-2. There is no objective metric that says Alabama is better than Tennessee or is more deserving of a higher ranking.

1669656977533.png

You say you're looking objectively, but you're not. You're just looking at one game. One game that has no connection to Alabama. According the CFP's own selection criteria, the games that matter most are the head-to-head matchup and the games against a common opponent: Tennessee vs Alabama, Tennessee vs LSU & Alabama vs LSU.

If you want to look at record against ranked opponents, you see that we are 5-1 and Alabama is 2-2. There is no objective metric that says Alabama is better than Tennessee or is more deserving of a higher ranking.

View attachment 518935
Never said I thought it is right. I'm just saying exactly why Bama will be ahead of us in the polls. Whether anyone likes my opinion or not, I'll bet mine ends up being right come Tuesday evening. Anyone having faith the CFP will magically start following their own criteria must be under 25yo.

Never said I thought it is right. I'm just saying exactly why Bama will be ahead of us in the polls. Whether anyone likes my opinion or not, I'll bet mine ends up being right come Tuesday evening. Anyone having faith the CFP will magically start following their own criteria must be under 25yo.
Gotcha. I'm not interested in predicting what the playoff committee will do. I'm just laying out what I think is right. Whether they actually do what's right or not is on them.

I would agree with this. It's maddening though, because we have to play Bama and UGA every year, go at least 50% them, and be perfect everywhere else to even be in the discussion. Meanwhile Bama is sitting here with two losses and OSU plays one challenging game a year (and lost it badly at home) and both are sitting here with a shot for the playoffs.

I would agree with this. It's maddening though, because we have to play Bama and UGA every year, go at least 50% them, and be perfect everywhere else to even be in the discussion. Meanwhile Bama is sitting here with two losses and OSU plays one challenging game a year (and lost it badly at home) and both are sitting here with a shot for the playoffs.

It is hard to argue against UT's resume this year, but here's the comparison's. didn't waste time on UGA, but thru TCU in:
UT, 10-2, 5-1 vs ranked teams. 3 still ranked. Beat Bama.
Bama, 10-2, 3-2 vs ranked teams. 3 still ranked. Lost UT.
OSU, 11-1, 2-1 vs ranked teams, 2 still ranked. Lost UM.
UM, 12-0, 2-0 vs ranked teams with big win margins, both still ranked. Beat OSU.
TCU, 12-0, 5-0 vs ranked teams. 2 still ranked.
USC, 2-1 vs ranked teams. 5 conf. teams now ranked at season end.

Only true edge on Bama is head to head. Can't say they barely got by Texas...we took a minute to squeeze by Pitt. We had 6 rank opponents, they had 5. TCU had 5. USC has an edge in that their opponents came on strong during the season after they played. THey have the most opponents in rankings at seasons end than any other. If ND doesn't fall out, it would be 6 ranked teams at end of season.

It's gonna be really hard to see it any other way than UGA, TCU, UM, USC this week and leave it up to them to take care of business. My feeling is UGA and TCU stay in regardless of conf title game. The CFP will have to really buck the AP/Coaches polls for UT to slide back into 5th. I get all the arguments for why UT should hit #5 in the CFP ahead of Bama and OSU, but unless they follow the criteria to the Nth degree, it won't happen. IMO a 10-2 anybody SEC trumps an 11-1 OSU with only 3 ranked opponents all season. Any, and almost every SEC team will have 4-6 ranked opponents during most seasons. For the elite of the Pac12 and B1G to only have 2/3 ranked games each doesn't speak well of the conferences.

VN Store

Back