Bonds hitting a ball over a wall 756 times is only meaningful in the context of trying to win baseball games.
Yeah, I'm reminding myself of how crucial the home runs Aaron hit as a DH in front of eight people in Milwaukee were to the success of the Brewers.

And for several years, Bonds has treated his teams' games as though they are only important as a vehicle for getting himself at-bats.
Uh, no. How many times have the Giants hit September out of contention since Barry got there?

I agree with Vercingetorix - homers are a byproduct of the game.

It doesn't matter if the homer wins the game or not but rather is the player motivated to help the team or just to set personal marks. While both types of players exist, I know which ones I prefer to pull for.

That said, I'm not sure why Bonds left the game. If it was a managerial decision to help win the game then I have no problem with it. If the game was just a showcase for him to set a personal mark then I have a problem with it.

The Giants have 0 chance of winning anything this year. The only thing that motivates the fans and franchise was Barrys record. He deserves to take a couple of days off after what he did. I would say 756 homers and around 580 with the Giants is worthy of taking a half game off.

Maybe the organization would be in better shape if the emphasis over the last several years had been on something other than waiting for a part-time player to hit home runs.

Cripes, I didn't realize Howard was already 27. If he played until he was 43ish, he'd have to average 45 HR a year just to get over the 700 mark. I doubt he'll be doing that.

The mystery is why it took him until age 25 to become a regular. Surely the Phillies couldn't have been enamoured of Jim Thome enough that they didn't realize what they had in Howard.

Maybe the organization would be in better shape if the emphasis over the last several years had been on something other than waiting for a part-time player to hit home runs.
Let's see, they've sold out almost every home game since they moved into AT&T Stadium(which Barry essentially built), have the best young starting pitching in the game, and have all the money in the world to spend on position players once Barry and Vizquel are off the books. Yeah, they're really hurting.

I agree with Vercingetorix - homers are a byproduct of the game.

It doesn't matter if the homer wins the game or not but rather is the player motivated to help the team or just to set personal marks. While both types of players exist, I know which ones I prefer to pull for.

That said, I'm not sure why Bonds left the game. If it was a managerial decision to help win the game then I have no problem with it. If the game was just a showcase for him to set a personal mark then I have a problem with it.
They've been taking Barry out of games all year for defensive purposes. Why would last night have been any different?

Hat, I thought you had nothing but contempt for players who put up gaudy individual statistics but can't win anything (e.g., Manning). Why does Bonds get a pass?

I acknowledged that it might be a managerial move. Was it?
They were ahead late in the game. Bochy has been making that move all year. Did he make it a little earlier than usual last night? Yes, but I don't see why it's a big deal.

It's not a big deal either way. It just fits my view of the game better if it was done in an effort to win the game.

Let's see, they've sold out almost every home game since they moved into AT&T Stadium(which Barry essentially built), have the best young starting pitching in the game, and have all the money in the world to spend on position players once Barry and Vizquel are off the books. Yeah, they're really hurting.

So I guess the UT football program is doing well in your eyes? They sell out all games, had a great recruiting class and great facilties.

The Giants would be closer to competing if they had spent Bonds's money on a couple of other players over the last couple of years. Sure, they wouldn't have had all the sellouts, and that's a business decision, but from a competitve standpoint, the whole team has been in a holding pattern for several years waiting for him to get it over with. Let's just say that I'm glad the Giants aren't my team.

So I guess the UT football program is doing well in your eyes? They sell out all games, had a great recruiting class and great facilties.
Apples to aardvarks. Keeping Bonds around has allowed the franchise to: 1. Contend for the better part of a decade, 2. Build a financial base that allows the franchise to transition successfully after a great player leaves. UT sold out games before the present head coach arrived and they'll do so after he's gone. I don't remember Fulmer's hiring keeping the Vols from moving to St. Petersburg.

The Giants would be closer to competing if they had spent Bonds's money on a couple of other players over the last couple of years. Sure, they wouldn't have had all the sellouts, and that's a business decision, but from a competitve standpoint, the whole team has been in a holding pattern for several years waiting for him to get it over with. Let's just say that I'm glad the Giants aren't my team.
If they weren't selling out every night, they wouldn't have the money to spend.

Given that the Giants don't have a single top notch position player, explain how they would be winning by spending the Bonds salary elsewhere.

Actually, I should probably withdraw that, given the utter insanity of the Barry Zito contract. If they'd had more money available, they probably would've spent it just as stupidly.

If I were a Giants fan and interested in seeing them actually win games, I would have liked to see them start rebuildling the lineup a couple of years ago. Instead they just stuck band-aids on it while waiting for the Bonds thing to play itself out. Now they have some good young pitching, but a terrible, old lineup with no prospects waiting in the wings. As best I can tell, there's only one really good position prospect in the organization, and he's only sixteen years old. By the time they get that lineup rebuilt to the point of being competitive, all that young starting pitching will start to be eligible for artibtration and/or free agency. By waiting on Bonds's home run chase to retool the team, they've shortened the window of opportunity that their young pitching should offer.

I hope Giants fan enjoyed the home run chase. Other than their gorgeous ballpark, that's about all they'll have to cheer for awhile.

Actually, I should probably withdraw that, given the utter insanity of the Barry Zito contract. If they'd had more money available, they probably would've spent it just as stupidly.

If I were a Giants fan and interested in seeing them actually win games, I would have liked to see them start rebuildling the lineup a couple of years ago. Instead they just stuck band-aids on it while waiting for the Bonds thing to play itself out. Now they have some good young pitching, but a terrible, old lineup with no prospects waiting in the wings. As best I can tell, there's only one really good position prospect in the organization, and he's only sixteen years old. By the time they get that lineup rebuilt to the point of being competitive, all that young starting pitching will start to be eligible for artibtration and/or free agency. By waiting on Bonds's home run chase to retool the team, they've shortened the window of opportunity that young pitching will offer.

I hope Giants fan enjoyed the home run chase. Other than their gorgeous ballpark, that's about all they'll have to cheer for awhile.
The Giants will win the West in the next two seasons.

Their pitching had better be the second coming of Glavine, Smoltz, and Avery, then. Because other than Bonds, their whole lineup is putrid.

My favorite part was Bond's shrugging off his son with a mere pat on the back.

Nice................

I think I saw him wearing a "756" hat in an interview. What a moron. You did not win anything Barry and you never will.

VN Store

Back