6A State Championship-Maryville vs Ravenwood

I believe Ravenwoods coach figured he would never be able to stop Maryville for 10 yards out. So he took a shot. I give him credit that takes some guts.

That's good reasoning. Of course, Quarles may have thought the same about Ravenwood of the order had been reversed.

Reactions: 1 person
I could care less who won.. Stupid to go for 2.... Stats tell you kick and tie and put your D back on the field.

I could care less who won.. Stupid to go for 2.... Stats tell you kick and tie and put your D back on the field.

Absolutely disagree with you. Ravenwood hadn't scored since the first quarter so their offense wasn't clicking just because they hit one 10 yard pass. Ravenwood also hadn't really stopped Maryville much in the 2nd half, let alone hold hope of doing so from the 10. So...

We have me vs Michael Jordan in a game of 1 on 1. I can't possibly hope to win (5-7" white guy with no skills) and neither could Ravenwood. However... "Hey MJ, you stand here and take 1 shot and I'll do the same and we'll see who wins." In that scenario, I actually have a chance, small maybe, but radically more of a chance than playing a whole game.

Ravenwood was right to take their % on needing to gain 2 yards for a win.

AV

PS. Similar scenario actually played out one day at Dollywood about 15 years ago. The starting point guard for a local college (not UT) and I stepped up to the "make one basket for the prize" basketball midway counter. Little white guy drains the first shot. It took the starting college point guard 2 tries. I felt pretty good that day. It's stupid to go to war with Goliath, but taking one shot works out pretty well.

How true were those words!

Ive seen it happen to many times to too many teams in the state of Tennessee. It was less prophetic and more experience on my part. I knew they would come back i just didnt know if they could come from that far back.

Should have ran the ball in for the win. Passing two point play wrong call especially in traffic. The better coach won not the better team.

Should have ran the ball in for the win. Passing two point play wrong call especially in traffic. The better coach won not the better team.

The better coach did win, but the better team didn't lose. Playoff games are sometimes much tougher than regular season games (though not always) as Maryville found out, as well as in their game with Whitehaven in 2012. But, Ravenwood did all their damage in the first quarter alone, not the entire game.

I'm an old MHS grad and reading this thread from beginning to end was thoroughly enjoyable - thanks guys!

The better coach did win, but the better team didn't lose. Playoff games are sometimes much tougher than regular season games (though not always) as Maryville found out, as well as in their game with Whitehaven in 2012. But, Ravenwood did all their damage in the first quarter alone, not the entire game.

What Maryville found out against Whitehaven is that the refs are clueless...illegal man downfield on a 2 pt conversion? Refs make the correct call there...Maryville wins again...against a team that had something like 13 Division 1 commitments. They had no business being in that game and SHOULD have won.

It's amazing what Quarles keeps doing...the system works. His teams are never intimidated and never quit.

That's good reasoning. Of course, Quarles may have thought the same about Ravenwood of the order had been reversed.

Quarles was seriously considering going for two himself if you watched the game on TV. He was holding up 1 finger and asking his assistant coaches for their input...I don't blame Ravenwood for going for the win considering how far Maryville came back.

What Maryville found out against Whitehaven is that the refs are clueless...illegal man downfield on a 2 pt conversion? Refs make the correct call there...Maryville wins again...against a team that had something like 13 Division 1 commitments. They had no business being in that game and SHOULD have won.

It's amazing what Quarles keeps doing...the system works. His teams are never intimidated and never quit.

Wow, still blaming the refs after all this time...just, wow.

VN Store

Back