6 of the top 25 aka ESPN hates us.

tnutater

The ESPN power ranking has 6 of the 2022 opponents listed in their top 25.
We, of course, did not make the list.
It appears they think we will have a 3-5 conference record. Plus a loss to Pitt, which surprised me with how high they were ranked.

It appears they think we will have a 3-5 conference record. Plus a loss to Pitt, which surprised me with how high they were ranked.
I'd bet anything we don't go 3-5 in the SEC or lose to PITT.

Not an unreasonable position. Pitt will be the game that makes or breaks the season for the Vols. Lose that game and it's a good bet we lose at least 4 more games. So, if you think a top-25 Pitt team will win at home against the Vols, we're likely not a top 25 team.

Yet, the ESPN SP+ loved us and had us in the top 10 a month ago. These things are always pure clickbait… Which means ESPN has won again.
S&P is Bill Connelly's methodology, which he came up with when he was at Rock M Nation, ESPN hired him. These rankings that came out today are the ESPN FPI rankings, which predicted we would win 6.6 games last year, but we won 7. This year's FPI thinks we will win 7.0.

Here are the full rankings, win projections are the fifth column over.

2022 College Football Power Index | ESPN

So just to understand this, because ESPN did not rank us where some of you think they should have, that means they hate us. We have been singled out from the other 300+ college teams. I assume it is the TN fan base they supposedly hate not the FB program?

Last edited:
Not an unreasonable position. Pitt will be the game that makes or breaks the season for the Vols. Lose that game and it's a good bet we lose at least 4 more games. So, if you think a top-25 Pitt team will win at home against the Vols, we're likely not a top 25 team.
FL is the game that makes or breaks our season. Pitt is a "Nice to Have" win.

S&P is Bill Connelly's methodology, which he came up with when he was at Rock M Nation, ESPN hired him. These rankings that came out today are the ESPN FPI rankings, which predicted we would win 6.6 games last year, but we won 7. This year's FPI thinks we will win 7.0.

Here are the full rankings, win projections are the fifth column over.

2022 College Football Power Index | ESPN
I know. My point is that it’s just a computer model published in the off-season to generate clicks.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I know. My point is that it’s just a computer model published in the off-season to generate clicks.
Yeah, no polls of any kind whether computer or human matter at all at the end of the day, other than the College Football Playoff Committee rankings. It's otherwise all for fun.

I don’t really take any offense to this. I’m actually ok w it. JMO but I think all games before Bama are winnable. If we go into Bama with zero or one loss we’ll be ranked somewhere between 8-13 I think.

Let's think that through a little. Pitt will have a drop off at QB. They won last year because Milton couldn't hit wide open WR's and their QB. I think UT wins. I don't think it will be close.

All of these teams will be different. Some will improve. Others won't. The assumption by whoever put this together seems to be that UT will lose virtually no one... expand the offensive playbook that gave the Vols the #2 SEC scoring offense only .6 ppg behind Bama.... and get worse.

UT beat UK at UK... but UK will walk into Neyland and win this year?

LSU? Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion, O wasn't the only problem in Baton Rouge. And now they have a QB situation to figure out.

Maybe they have a list of the officiating crews.

The higher they rate our opponents, the better we look beating them ...or the less-worse we look losing to them.

If the Connecticut Clan isn't offering affirmative action for hillbillies... I don't feel slighted.

VN Store

Back