$58 Million Lindsey Nelson Stadium Renovation Details

This could be said about a lot of eyesores on campus.

Not nearly as many eyesores as when I was there 18 years ago. Totally different and many modern buildings now.[/QUOTE]

Agree. It’s better, but there are still some ugly buildings. The Q-Bert library, the Haslam business spam can, McClung tower, those satellites on the back side of Circle Park facing TB Arena...ironically, the Art & Architecture building, which is new, so we’re stuck with it for awhile.

Well, it does look like a parking garage up front and when you look at it next to others in the SEC, you quickly realize what a liability it is in terms of atmosphere and recruiting. Take a look at Arky, Miss St, LSU, aTm and even Vandy. LNS can't begin to hold up to those venues. We all know what an arms race it is in SEC football, but it's just as intense in baseball if not more so.
I was just pointing out that the poster quoted word for word what Burke said that day on Basilio. Which was over a year ago. How in the hell did this thread get bumped?

This could be said about a lot of eyesores on campus.

Not nearly as many eyesores as when I was there 18 years ago. Totally different and many modern buildings now.[/QUOTE]
You were on campus around the same time as me; stepped foot on campus 17 years ago this fall and the difference between 2004 and today is unbelievable. I’ve visited roughly 30 college campuses over my lifetime and would’ve ranked UTK damn near the bottom out of the ones I’ve been to, in terms of overall aesthetics. That’s not close to the case today. I’ve taken my brother and dad to baseball games this year and they couldn’t stop commenting how much better campus looks today than it did when I was there from 04-07.

I have followed the Vols baseball team for many years. I always see folks make negative comments about the stadium. Would some of the more enlightened care to explain the real and the perceived shortcomings of LNS? Thanks and I look forward to the discussion.
Take a look at other SEC stadiums

UT seating capacity - 4,200
Vandy seating cap. - 3,700

VU smaller number didn't keep them from winning two Nattys.
Vandy also has small football and basketball stadiums/arenas. UT has two of the largest stadiums and arenas in their respective sports in those two sports.

UT's fanbase is significantly larger than Vandy's. The baseball team deserves more seating to accommodate that. No reason UT shouldn't be top 5 or top 3 in the SEC in seating capacity in baseball when they are in football and basketball.

Right now if I had to compare Lindsay Nelson Stadium with a current major league park, it would be Tropicana Field in Tampa with the crowd numbers and artificial infield..........

After the upgrades, it will probably look more like Fenway Park in Boston.

Too many Tennessee fans tend to get hung up on capacity. As I stated before, LNS and other facilities need to be straight up replaced. There is no way to “modernize” current LNS due to all of it’s design flaws. The new grandstand configuration doesn’t really need to be grossly larger than current capacity, but a much more proven quality design with casual flex areas down baselines in outfield and/or party decks in outfield. There are many great minor league or college stadiums built or refurbed for perfect examples.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Right now if I had to compare Lindsay Nelson Stadium with a current major league park, it would be Tropicana Field in Tampa with the crowd numbers and artificial infield..........

After the upgrades, it will probably look more like Fenway Park in Boston.
I’d love it if they copied Fenway. Kind of makes sense anyway w the space. Instead of the green monster, it will be an orange one 😜

Could you elaborate please?
For starters:
Dugouts need to be dugout, not field level,

Stands need to be down to field, not elevated

Fences moved out at least average proportions

concourses open and facing field

no sideways stairs up to elevated bleachers: puts too much distance vertically and horizontally separates next section up further away from field. Plus looks aesthetically disjointed
All entryway facades

No room for outfield expansion or amenities

There are probably 10-15 more reasons others can share too.

Any chance we hear ,( sometime in 2021) what the plans are for LNS?
Or is TV still too busy to sit down and discuss this? ;)

Some kind of semi permanent seating down LF, is probably all we’ll see next season, maybe the unveil some kinda plan, but I doubt it.

Some kind of semi permanent seating down LF, is probably all we’ll see next season, maybe the unveil some kinda plan, but I doubt it.
A lot of talk and little action. If it's a coat of paint and some metal bleachers don't be shocked when TV heads out in a couple of years.

A lot of talk and little action. If it's a coat of paint and some metal bleachers don't be shocked when TV heads out in a couple of years.

I don’t think that’s the case, new admin wants a new plan, nothing shocking here, these things don’t get done in an off season.

Reactions: TN_gal
I don’t think that’s the case, new admin wants a new plan, nothing shocking here, these things don’t get done in an off season.
I mean I'm not looking for a revamped stadium in three months but the admin could toss the fans a bone and release some drawings they are considering.

From Coach V’s interview last week with WNML:

If you’d like to listen to his full interview ⤵️

Also, worth noting, during his Q&A at the Knoxville Rotary Club yesterday, White mentioned that he met yesterday morning with architects about facility upgrades for both Neyland Stadium and LIndsey Nelson Stadium (3rd video in this WVLT article: UT AD White updates football probe and facilities)

So, it seems like they making progress on stadium upgrades. I think it’s encouraging that White, Coach V, and their teams all met together for a 3 hour meeting at LNS. It sounds like they are on the same page.

VN Store

Back