I was referring more to the manner by which we lost. If it had been a good game and we didn't look like a deer in headlights most of the game, it would be harder to justify us dropping 4 spots.

Until we prove otherwise, it will look like we got exposed. You can bet that other teams with size will follow KY's blueprint against us. We will have to respond by playing tougher, figuring out ways to get the ball down to GW, and hitting our open outside shots.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I don't think UK showed a blueprint. UK just has very good players. Teams have doubled and tripled Grant this year, and we have won by double digits. Teams have dared us to take three's, and we have won by double digits.

Turner and Bowden were not good. We shot 40% instead of our normal 50%. That kept us out of a tight game.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
This is a bad take. Should we be ahead of Gonzaga then? We beat them, and not at home either. And then should Gonzaga be ahead of Duke? But then Duke still has to be ahead of Kentucky, which can’t happen because we have to be behind them (according to you) since they beat us....
Head to head literally can not decide this, since between UT, UK, Duke, and Gonzaga, each one has one win and one loss against the others
Interestingly, each has a win over the other as the lower ranked team.

#4 Duke beat #2 Kentucky
#3 Gonzaga beat #1 Duke
#7 Tennessee beat #1 Gonzaga
#5 Kentucky beat #1 Tennessee

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I don't think UK showed a blueprint. UK just has very good players. Teams have doubled and tripled Grant this year, and we have won by double digits. Teams have dared us to take three's, and we have won by double digits.

Turner and Bowden were not good. We shot 40% instead of our normal 50%. That kept us out of a tight game.
Agreed, very valid points. Bone also never looked like he was in control of running the offensive like he typically does. I know he had a strong game scoring but IMO he is much more dangerous when he is a facilitator & controlling the pace of the game.

Reactions: Lurker and VolGee4

I tend to agree here. We just played poorly. We lost the shooting battle by a total difference of 14%, the rebounding battle on both ends by a total difference of 13 rebounds, and the assist battle by 3, where we almost never lose. Additionally, UK had more steals and more blocks.

You just aren't going to win many games against a top 5 team with a stat sheet that looks like that. UK played their best game of the season and we played our worst. It just is what it is. We move on and prepare for Vandy.

Reactions: VolGee4
5 is generous. They weren't Top 25 Saturday and have been running on fumes for at least a month. Ultimately talent will rise to the top, so if they've got it, they'll be fine. Don't forget Barnes had KD over a decade ago and could do literally nothing with him at UT, though. Prediction: They will miss the Final Four at the SEC and lose in the second round of the big tourney. Sorry sunshine funnelers- we're all out of smoke.

Reactions: 08Vol
It’s more how we lost that dropped ya imo. Apparently, voters look at that. #thehiddenfactors
Yeah, I agree. If we play well and lose by 4 on the road, then we are probably sitting at #3 right now. We are being "punished" for getting thumped by the first really good team we've faced in a month. No big deal.

5 is generous. They weren't Top 25 Saturday and have been running on fumes for at least a month. Ultimately talent will rise to the top, so if they've got it, they'll be fine. Don't forget Barnes had KD over a decade ago and could do literally nothing with him at UT, though. Prediction: They will miss the Final Four at the SEC and lose in the second round of the big tourney. Sorry sunshine funnelers- we're all out of smoke.
Bolded comments are a stretch. Prior to the loss to KY, UT had beaten 3 straight conference opponents by double digits (12 pts iirc) with the games never really being in doubt. VOLS just had a bad game and it happens. Luckily college BBALL is a tournament sport & one loss in the regular season does not break you.

Bolded comments are a stretch. Prior to the loss to KY, UT had beaten 3 conference opponents by double digits (12 pts iirc) with the games never really being in doubt. VOLS just had a bad game and it happens. Luckily college BBALL is a tournament sport & one loss is the regular season does not break you.
You could have, and should have, bolded the entire post. It was all a stretch.

No surprise really, sports press has been personally insulted ever since we became #1!

They have been PRAYING for someone to beat us, Now the world is back as it should be!

Also, I guess KY DID NOT Play LSU last Wednesday huh?!?!?!?

Last edited:

Tired of the KD argument. No one cares to look at that team. 5 of the top 6 scorers on that team were freshmen, and the sixth was a sophomore. They had one senior and two juniors, who all averaged 2.2 points or less. Aside from Durant, DJ Augustin and Damion James were the only other top 50 players, and they were freshmen as well.. James averaged 7.6 points per game. There were no other one and dones. Augustin played another year, and Mason played all four years.

By my gosh, because a 19 year old Kevin Durant was on the team, how come Barnes didn't win a title? No one does research anymore.

Reactions: TNBV and JCP201
I’d say we should be at #4 ahead of Kentucky since they have 2 more losses than us. They have the head to head but if that is the case then why isn’t 4 loss LSU ahead of Kentucky?

But oh well we get Kentucky again.
Or Alabama in front of Kentucky lol

Yeah it's almost like anybody who put Kentucky ahead of us actually watched the game Saturday.
This. We got whooped in prime time. Vols will have their chance at TBA but honestly, I think UK is the better team right now. (With their refs)

Reactions: 08Vol
Seems pretty reasonable considering the awful showing the Vols displayed at Lexington.

We shouldn't be punished for the light conference schedule thus far but I'm afraid the Vols weren't ready for the competition last Saturday in Lexington. The soft schedule COULD have had the Vols not prepared enough.....

We will see what this Vols team is made us when the winless Dores come to Knoxville. Should be a blowout based on them being pissed off and getting back to business. Hopefully this will give the team the late season spark it needs.

Reactions: CAVPUT
So I erred & flipped on Finebaum in time to hear Matt Jones smirking & taking shots at the VOLS, then Paul announces that Jay Bilas is up next. Think I'll go out to clear the creek and/or experience a bowel movement. :rolleyes:

Quite frankly, we are lucky to be even in the top 5. Truthfully, we got smoked. I would say we are #6. If you think higher, you probably were not watching the same game. UT has played a pretty easy schedule (outside from the tough non-conference games). Thats what happens when you become accustomed to inferior teams and you can win despite not playing well. We have had some offensive and defensive issues that have been masked because of this. This all became apparent when we faced a team with top talent. We will learn from this and improve as a team.

Quite frankly, we are lucky to be even in the top 5. Truthfully, we got smoked. I would say we are #6. If you think higher, you probably were not watching the same game. UT has played a pretty easy schedule (outside from the tough non-conference games). Thats what happens when you become accustomed to inferior teams and you can win despite not playing well. We have had some offensive and defensive issues that have been masked because of this. This all became apparent when we faced a team with top talent. We will learn from this and improve as a team.

One game doesn't obliterate a ranking. Wins and losses do. It doesn't matter how we looked in past games as long as we won. Duke was down 23 to Louisville. How did they look? Barely won. Gonzaga hasn't played a decent team since before conference play. The 23-1 record before Saturday does matter.

Reactions: Kristy*
I was referring more to the manner by which we lost. If it had been a good game and we didn't look like a deer in headlights most of the game, it would be harder to justify us dropping 4 spots.

Until we prove otherwise, it will look like we got exposed. You can bet that other teams with size will follow KY's blueprint against us. We will have to respond by playing tougher, figuring out ways to get the ball down to GW, and hitting our open outside shots.
I get what you’re saying. I guess I think their process for voting is misguided then. I don’t think one game should discredit the whole body of work. It sure didn’t for Duke losing to Syracuse at home

Reactions: Kristy*
Doesn't matter what we are ranked in any poll expect for the NET
We are 6th in it which is concerning regarding the number 1 seed

Doesn't matter what we are ranked in any poll expect for the NET
We are 6th in it which is concerning regarding the number 1 seed

Correct on the NET BV, but have heart. Today isn't the NET that matters and the Vols should be winning several more games before the time it does. The numbers will continue to flow both up and down between now and selections.

Correct on the NET BV, but have heart. Today isn't the NET that matters and the Vols should be winning several more games before the time it does. The numbers will continue to flow both up and down between now and selections.

Yep we have a tougher schedule that will help with that when we win.

VN Store

Back