5 Vols Poised for a Breakout Season

benholt06

Honorable Mention

Harrison Bailey

We know if we see HB early enough for him to build a "breakout season" thereafter then something's gone horribly awry. I hope for the best with Guarantano but his history doesn't exactly instill fans with confidence. I think Bailey is the more polished passer today, but JG has the benefit of knowing the offense. CJP is sure to have more patience with JG than the fanbase, but how long until the pressure to put in the boy wonder reaches a boiling point?

5. Wanya Morris, LT

I don't think missing spring will hold back Wanya too much. Down the stretch in 2019 during the Vols' winning streak, he was damn good. Assuming he recovers from surgery with no hiccups, I expect Wanya to be a mainstay on Tennessee's deep and experienced offensive line.

4. Roman Harrison, OLB

Harrison began to show promise towards the end of the season, registering a sack in each of the Vols' last two games. I expect he and Kivon Bennett to get the bulk of the snaps as the stand-up pass rushers in Pruitt's scheme.

3. Ramel Keyton, WR

I look for Keyton to emerge as the clear #2 WR option on the perimeter opposite Josh Palmer. And if Ramel's HS teammate Harrison Bailey becomes "the guy" for Jim Chaney, look out.

2. Keshawn Lawrence, DB

My surprise pick for a big 2020. Most folks have Trevon Flowers penciled in at safety next to Tank McCullough. Look, Key Lawrence is a freak. He's probably the best pure athlete in Tennessee's last two classes. CJP will find a place for him in his secondary. Whether it be at S or CB, Lawrence will push the guys for burn immediately.

1. Eric Gray, RB

Not going out on much of a limb here. Gray will be running behind what WILL be a top 3 offensive line in the SEC. He will split carries somewhat with Ty Chandler, but Gray is the more shifty and explosive of the two. Critics say that Eric had his big games in 2019 against inferior opponents, but it's common for a true freshman to find his groove down the back stretch of the schedule. It's not his fault that was the gauntlet of the SEC Least. It would not surprise me to see both Gray and Chandler eclipse 1000 yards this year.

it may not be a breakout season, but I look for Trey Smith to be even more dominant, this season. I think he will bolster his number one draft pick chances ten-fold. I also look for Josh Palmer to have a breakout season, no matter the QB. Our defense, overall, will make even more progress, and establish itself as a top 20 defense, in the nation.
I think this team will most resemble the types of UT teams we've come to expect. There will be no blowout losses, this season, if we can manage the game, in Norman.

it may not be a breakout season, but I look for Trey Smith to be even more dominant, this season. I think he will bolster his number one draft pick chances ten-fold. I also look for Josh Palmer to have a breakout season, no matter the QB. Our defense, overall, will make even more progress, and establish itself as a top 20 defense, in the nation.
I think this team will most resemble the types of UT teams we've come to expect. There will be no blowout losses, this season, if we can manage the game, in Norman.

That’s a really big test and will lay the ground work for what to expect next season. If we keep it close we’re in good shape a blow out and things could get ugly.

We’re good enough to win I just wonder if we can put it all together to put the country on notice. When the Vols wreck someone’s season it puts a smile on my face

That’s a really big test and will lay the ground work for what to expect next season. If we keep it close we’re in good shape a blow out and things could get ugly.

We’re good enough to win I just wonder if we can put it all together to put the country on notice. When the Vols wreck someone’s season it puts a smile on my face

Just follow the UGA plan. Control the line of scrimmage. Be patient. Trust the gameplan. No turnovers. Beat them into submission, by controlling the clock, and pace. Take the crowd out of the game. Do not panic, when OU makes a run.
If we can confuse their new QB, and get a few turnovers, we might win that game.

Nice analysis. The entire Tennessee Volunteers football team needs to have a breakout season. Do I expect it? Yeah, kinda. I'm looking for nine wins, with close losses to OK, AL, and GA. I think we have a chance to beat FL at home this year. As always, it depends on which UT team shows up in these games. Will it be the team that was getting soundly beaten by Indiana for 54 minutes last season? Or the team that suddenly emerged in the final six minutes of that game? Every single player has to have a breakout season.

Just follow the UGA plan. Control the line of scrimmage. Be patient. Trust the gameplan. No turnovers. Beat them into submission, by controlling the clock, and pace. Take the crowd out of the game. Do not panic, when OU makes a run.
If we can confuse their new QB, and get a few turnovers, we might win that game.

That’s the only thing I’m worried about is getting caught in the wash. Tennessee blinks and it’s 21-0.

Can we cover well enough for them to hold the ball longer, and can we make them earn everything they get. Tennessee needs Henry to set the tone and blow someone up on those short crossing patterns that turn into 30 yard gains.

Reactions: kbear01
That’s the only thing I’m worried about is getting caught in the wash. Tennessee blinks and it’s 21-0.

Can we cover well enough for them to hold the ball longer, and can we make them earn everything they get. Tennessee needs Henry to set the tone and blow someone up on those short crossing patterns that turn into 30 yard gains.

You can bet, with new QB, they are going to throw short, and screens, alot. Just to get the QB some confidence. So, it'd be nice, if Henry O blew up a few of those, or grabbed himself a pick. I worry more about their deep threat, vs our cb's. We've been known to get beat deep, on occasion, by lesser talent and speed.

You can bet, with new QB, they are going to throw short, and screens, alot. Just to get the QB some confidence. So, it'd be nice, if Henry O blew up a few of those, or grabbed himself a pick. I worry more about their deep threat, vs our cb's. We've been known to get beat deep, on occasion, by lesser talent and speed.

So much truth In that it’s sickening. I know they’ll have speed I just hope we can design coverage to help and when they get a chance have the safety erase it.

Grey...….for a breakout season he needs to break that first tackle. Hope he's working out as type this.

Honorable Mention

Harrison Bailey

We know if we see HB early enough for him to build a "breakout season" thereafter then something's gone horribly awry. I hope for the best with Guarantano but his history doesn't exactly instill fans with confidence. I think Bailey is the more polished passer today, but JG has the benefit of knowing the offense. CJP is sure to have more patience with JG than the fanbase, but how long until the pressure to put in the boy wonder reaches a boiling point?

5. Wanya Morris, LT

I don't think missing spring will hold back Wanya too much. Down the stretch in 2019 during the Vols' winning streak, he was damn good. Assuming he recovers from surgery with no hiccups, I expect Wanya to be a mainstay on Tennessee's deep and experienced offensive line.

4. Roman Harrison, OLB

Harrison began to show promise towards the end of the season, registering a sack in each of the Vols' last two games. I expect he and Kivon Bennett to get the bulk of the snaps as the stand-up pass rushers in Pruitt's scheme.

3. Ramel Keyton, WR

I look for Keyton to emerge as the clear #2 WR option on the perimeter opposite Josh Palmer. And if Ramel's HS teammate Harrison Bailey becomes "the guy" for Jim Chaney, look out.

2. Keshawn Lawrence, DB

My surprise pick for a big 2020. Most folks have Trevon Flowers penciled in at safety next to Tank McCullough. Look, Key Lawrence is a freak. He's probably the best pure athlete in Tennessee's last two classes. CJP will find a place for him in his secondary. Whether it be at S or CB, Lawrence will push the guys for burn immediately.

1. Eric Gray, RB

Not going out on much of a limb here. Gray will be running behind what WILL be a top 3 offensive line in the SEC. He will split carries somewhat with Ty Chandler, but Gray is the more shifty and explosive of the two. Critics say that Eric had his big games in 2019 against inferior opponents, but it's common for a true freshman to find his groove down the back stretch of the schedule. It's not his fault that was the gauntlet of the SEC Least. It would not surprise me to see both Gray and Chandler eclipse 1000 yards this year.
Good stuff, but your last statement would totally surprise me since it has happened once in our team's history, IIRC.

Honorable Mention

Harrison Bailey

5. Wanya Morris, LT

4. Roman Harrison, OLB

3. Ramel Keyton, WR

2. Keshawn Lawrence, DB

1. Eric Gray, RB

Agree about all the guys who have been here awhile. For the new guys I don't call the upcoming season "a chance for a breakout season". I would call it "a breaking in season".

1st: this is not the "Ga game plan. it has been around and used by successful programs for ever. What you are advocating is a superior defense. Until lately it was a fact great defenses win championships, now you can't win championships without great defense to go along with a really good offense.
2nd: Hell, we are all already folks in a panic, just not a football team or its fans. Lets hope we have a football game to get in a panic over.

I like the list but for Bailey to have a breakout season either he has to start from day 1 or JG has a terrible game and we’ve lost a game we should have won.
Breakout for Harrison Bailey would be to become starting quarterback by midseason.

I would hope like hell the Vols have a season better than that
Tennessee could still have a 9 win regular season if Harrison Bailey wins the starting job from Jarrett Guarantano by performance or injury. Athlon pretty much said don't be surprised if Harrison Bailey is the starting quarterback at some point this season.

Tennessee cannot fall behind by 2-3 touchdowns early to a powerful opponent. Being down by 2-3 touchdowns to Oklahoma is waaaaay different than being that far behind to Indiana.

1st: this is not the "Ga game plan. it has been around and used by successful programs for ever. What you are advocating is a superior defense. Until lately it was a fact great defenses win championships, now you can't win championships without great defense to go along with a really good offense.
2nd: Hell, we are all already folks in a panic, just not a football team or its fans. Lets hope we have a football game to get in a panic over.

1st: True. That was UT's game plan, for decades. But, UGA used it to beat OU. This plan can work, with a little help, from the defense, and OU's offense, under a green QB. I don't think we need a "really good" offense. Just a very efficient offense, that moves the chains, burns clock, and scores TD's, in the red zone.
2nd: I feel ya! Just having a game, at all, would be great!

If we win, I'd say around 35-31 range. If we lose, I'd say 41-34. If we can't slow them down, I'd say 51-24.

Reactions: savannahfan
Honestly think Eric Gray could enter himself in some Heisman talk if the oline lives up to their potential
I agree, EG seemed ready to break a long run in several games leading up to Vanderbilt. I was hoping he'd get the ball more in space to give him a chance to make somebody miss. I kinda think Ramel Keyton will make a name for himself before all is said and done.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back