5 things I'd love the Vols to do Wed. night

TennNC

a lover, not a fighter
I'm not thinking about the SEC East Championship or NCAA bid right now. These are 5 things I'll be looking to see the Vols do Wed. night:

1) Box Out. Shot goes up, get in between your man and the basket, drive your backside into his waist and push him back. I don't care if the ball bounces over your head. I just want to see someone create some interior space on a rebound attempt. Especially on a free throw attempt.

2) Set a Screen and Rub off the Screen. Establish position. Broaden your shoulders and hold your ground -- no need to lean in or move. The guy coming off the screen has the responsibility of rubbing his man off the screen by moving closely around the screener.

3) Move crisply without the ball on offense. Every second that you stand around on offense is an opportunity for the man guarding you to catch his breath. Jogging from the baseline to the wing doesn't cut it. Cuts should be crisp and frequent.

4) Pump Fake (and Perhaps Draw a Foul). Not just when you get the ball down low, but on the perimeter too, or even while cutting without the ball or making a pass to the interior. Make the other guy work.

5) Talk on Defense. Constantly, if need be. Call out screens and switches. Make sure men are covered on a fast break. Help out when a man gets beat.

You could've just summed all that into one word: effort. If a team is not doing well in any one of those five departments, they are clearly lacking effort.

You could've just summed all that into one word: effort. If a team is not doing well in any one of those five departments, they are clearly lacking effort.

I completely disagree. You can have great effort trying to rebound a ball without position and lose out. You can have great effort on defense and be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sure we need more effort in a lot of cases, but execution isn't happening either.

I'm not thinking about the SEC East Championship or NCAA bid right now. These are 5 things I'll be looking to see the Vols do Wed. night:

1) Box Out. Shot goes up, get in between your man and the basket, drive your backside into his waist and push him back. I don't care if the ball bounces over your head. I just want to see someone create some interior space on a rebound attempt. Especially on a free throw attempt.

2) Set a Screen and Rub off the Screen. Establish position. Broaden your shoulders and hold your ground -- no need to lean in or move. The guy coming off the screen has the responsibility of rubbing his man off the screen by moving closely around the screener.

3) Move crisply without the ball on offense. Every second that you stand around on offense is an opportunity for the man guarding you to catch his breath. Jogging from the baseline to the wing doesn't cut it. Cuts should be crisp and frequent.

4) Pump Fake (and Perhaps Draw a Foul). Not just when you get the ball down low, but on the perimeter too, or even while cutting without the ball or making a pass to the interior. Make the other guy work.

5) Talk on Defense. Constantly, if need be. Call out screens and switches. Make sure men are covered on a fast break. Help out when a man gets beat.

How about a # 6) When playing man-on-man defense, overplay to an opponet's strong hand by a half step and force him to go around you only with his off hand. This is how opponets have learned to defend Prince. They first of all give him any shot from beyond the foul line and then they over play his left hand. These are FUNDAMENTAL tactics in man to man defense.

I completely disagree. You can have great effort trying to rebound a ball without position and lose out. You can have great effort on defense and be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sure we need more effort in a lot of cases, but execution isn't happening either.

In our case, rebounding is mostly effort. We're one of the best rebounding teams in the SEC. We know how to rebound. Our players just seem to take nights off on the glass.

In our case, rebounding is mostly effort. We're one of the best rebounding teams in the SEC. We know how to rebound. Our players just seem to take nights off on the glass.

Some of our players seem, some nights, to be more interested in the run out and the ensuing easy basket as opposed to getting position and rebounding the rock.

Moving well without the ball on offensive is one of the most important things in the game, and it's mostly effort. On the defensive end, fighting through screens and talking with your team is all about effort.

I don't care how they do it, so long as we win. This is pretty much a do-or-die game for the NCAAs.

How about a # 6) When playing man-on-man defense, overplay to an opponet's strong hand by a half step and force him to go around you only with his off hand. This is how opponets have learned to defend Prince. They first of all give him any shot from beyond the foul line and then they over play his left hand. These are FUNDAMENTAL tactics in man to man defense.
I think it's fundamental, but now you force a guy the direction he from which he shoots the lowest percentage. Most good college ballplayers can driver either direction, but everyone on earth has a direction they want to move in shooting. I'm a righty, but loved moving left to shoot. Forcing me right was the way to go. A lot of coaches are now approaching it this way.

We simply don't approach it. Looks like our coaching consists of keep him in front of you, if possible. If not possible, give up 2 or 3, whichever works for you.

I almost think its worse for this team to get fouled. . .when we miss a layup but get fouled and go to the FT line, its basically a turn over. . .

I don't care how they do it, so long as we win. This is pretty much a do-or-die game for the NCAAs.

I do.

I want to know that we have the capacity to play the game the way it's meant to be played.

Moving well without the ball on offensive is one of the most important things in the game, and it's mostly effort.

Except for the fact that they're operating in an offense that doesn't ask them to move a lot.

In our case, rebounding is mostly effort. We're one of the best rebounding teams in the SEC. We know how to rebound.

I disagree.

We know how to be big and tall and jump. Watch how many times we establish position when a shot goes up -- that will indicate whether we're doing our job.

It's actually much easier to get a rebound if you box out than if you try to out-muscle or out-jump for it.

I disagree.

We know how to be big and tall and jump. Watch how many times we establish position when a shot goes up -- that will indicate whether we're doing our job.

It's actually much easier to get a rebound if you box out than if you try to out-muscle or out-jump for it.

ding ding ding

I think it's fundamental, but now you force a guy the direction he from which he shoots the lowest percentage.

Yep. This is what it's about. Play the percentages.

Know what they like and don't like to do. Work to force them to take a shot that gives them the lowest likelihood of scoring. It's the coaches' responsibility to figure this out.

It appears that we either don't know those things prior to a game, or we're so stubborn that we refuse to follow the plan.

the flex O blows

Unless you have a guy who can drain 24-footers with 6'11" guys in his face on a consistent basis.

This is why we pressed so much in recent years - we required the accelerated pace to get good shots b/c our offense won't yield many of them.

whoever does the scouting report for us should be let go of their duties because its obvious they don't knw what's going on, or bruce sure as hell doesn't knw how to defend it

I disagree.

You're right. I'm not saying effort is going to cure all our problems. We still lack basic fundamentals (such as boxing out). The point is it may be too late in the season to fix all of our deficiencies on both sides of the ball. This team lacks some serious internal chemistry. You can't do much about that in a few weeks. I would personally just like to see our team show more effort to close out the season...it would fix a few of our problems at least.

whoever does the scouting report for us should be let go of their duties because its obvious they don't knw what's going on, or bruce sure as hell doesn't knw how to defend it

Last year, people thought Forbes was doing a great job.

i'm no coach by any means, but it is very hard to watch guards sprint the ball up the floor and stop to turn and look at coach Pearl to get a play. Either walk it up and get the play, or grow some and make a decision to score at the basket and GO!

i'm no coach by any means, but it is very hard to watch guards sprint the ball up the floor and stop to turn and look at coach Pearl to get a play. Either walk it up and get the play, or grow some and make a decision to score at the basket and GO!

it's the randy sanders of fball. why look at bruce? all we do is run the flex, not hard, not hard at all. maybe a few variations here and there ,that like bpv said, its a disaster.

VN Store

Back