5 Star Talent

Vol8188

revolUTion in the air!
When's the last time we had this many? Using 247 composite I think we will have 5 5* players. Last few seasons we've had 2 (Nico and Bru last season). We've already got a 5* QB committed this cycle and will likely add 1-2 more. That's also not counting 5* guys from other services (Pierce, Carter, Hobbs).

Heard
Matthews
Ross
Nico
Bru

Only 9 teams in the country last season had 5 or more 5* players. It's possible when the 2024 team talent composite comes in that we will be a top 10. These rankings began in 2015 and we have normally been around 15 with our high being 12th.

1706619790561.png

Translating all these stars is the next thing..... If five star guys are the "jimmies" then the "joes" must really come through big time. Not to mention all the regular hard working guys who really love to play the game.

for 2023, Milton was also a 5* I believe ..

I read 'former 5*' in articles for Andre Turentine but does not show that from his recruiting profile ..

When's the last time we had this many? Using 247 composite I think we will have 5 5* players. Last few seasons we've had 2 (Nico and Bru last season). We've already got a 5* QB committed this cycle and will likely add 1-2 more. That's also not counting 5* guys from other services (Pierce, Carter, Hobbs).

Heard
Matthews
Ross
Nico
Bru

Only 9 teams in the country last season had 5 or more 5* players. It's possible when the 2024 team talent composite comes in that we will be a top 10. These rankings began in 2015 and we have normally been around 15 with our high being 12th.

View attachment 616022

Pearce not Pierce. Best player on the team. Do better.

Heard
Matthews
Ross
Nico
Bru

View attachment 616022
C6204AF6-C13E-4754-A1BD-F4D59CF9503E.gif

Reactions: LaagerVol
5* players are essentially the guys that a lot of top programs chase. That's a pretty good indicator most of the time that they're talented guys. Measurables obviously weigh into it but there are a lot more kids with "5* measurables" than are awarded 5* by the recruiting sites.

It is good that the staff is going head to head for elite talent and winning a good share. The OP is dead on in that respect. For all the "Heupel can't recruit" and Chik'n Lils who show up every time UT doesn't get a big name recruit... the staff appears to know talent and to be building a championship caliber roster.

HOWEVER... the real tell of the tale isn't how many 5* guys they get. It is the quality and eventually the realized potential of all those other guys. The 4* rating is MUCH more murky than 5*. In general, it gets progressively more difficult to really discern a 4* from a 3* after the first 100 or so.

Competing for and winning a 5* or two each cycle is great. It excites fans. The media buzzes. But UT's fortunes rely a lot more on how many 3* they get who play above their rating. Telander at least to this point seems like one of those guys. Elijah Herring is another.

The biggest thing I like about this staff in recruiting over any of the ones since the rankings began... including Fulmer's... is that they seem to do their own evals and pay very little attention to what everyone else says.

Heard
Matthews
Ross
Nico
Bru

View attachment 616022
This 2024 team is the most complete team that Heupel has ever coached to this point imo.

Super 2nd year QB
Sampson - one of the most explosive RBs in the SEC. 2 really talented 2nd year guys behind him.

Veteran O-line
WR playmakers abound

Defensively this will be the best Dlines we've had in a long time. Rushing the passer or stopping the run.
LB talented but still a question make
DB talented but not as much a question mark as LB.
Both LB and DB will have the support of an Elite pass rush.

We can win every game this year.
We'll see if that happens

On the 2023 247 talent composite we only had 2, Nico and Bru. Neither played much.

Milton was a 3 star out of high school

On the 2023 247 talent composite we only had 2, Nico and Bru. Neither played much.

Milton was a 3 star out of high school

Neither played much is an odd way of putting it. One was a freshman who looked great during the bowl game and the other was arguably our best WR before breaking his leg in the 5th game

It's not the 5 stars that's the problem. It's the high volume of 3 stars we recruit. We very well may match a lot of programs in 5 stars but it's the high 4 stars where we get owned. Especially in the trenches. That's what has to change (and it is, slowly).

Neither played much is an odd way of putting it. One was a freshman who looked great during the bowl game and the other was arguably our best WR before breaking his leg in the 5th game
My meaning was that our two highest rated players didn’t contribute much for a large part of the season. I am not saying they are bad players, just the opposite. If your 5 stars are major contributors they can effect games.

It's not the 5 stars that's the problem. It's the high volume of 3 stars we recruit. We very well may match a lot of programs in 5 stars but it's the high 4 stars where we get owned. Especially in the trenches. That's what has to change (and it is, slowly).

I don’t think that’s a problem at all. In today’s world you can simply run guys off as needed.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Improving our Blue Chip Ratio is key. If that’s through 5 stars so be it, but more realistically it’s an increasing mix of 4s and 5s. In the modern era you typically need approximately 60% or more to win a title. UGA and Alabama have been in the 80% range the last few years which is unusually high but obviously beneficial.

Someone will know better than me but I think we were in the 40% range when Heupel was hired and he has been improving it with each class.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
we are getting better. last two recruiting classes , 24 and 23, we have recruited more 4 stars than 3 stars. 24 was also the first class with single digit 3 stars.

and even our 3 stars are much better quality than they have in the past. on 247 our two lowest graded out as 86, even back in 2022 we had 5 86s, 1 84, and a 79 punter. going back to 2011, the last class 247 has a full record of, our minimum number of sub 87 players was 5, with 6 classes having at least double digits down below an 87.

and fwiw 4 of our 247 3* are a 4 star on another site. so now half of our 3 stars are good enough to get consideration. back in 2022 it was a third of our 3 stars got 4 star considerations somewhere else. so not only are we taking fewer 3 stars, they are better than they have been in the past.

VN Store

Back