5-star PG Kennedy Chandler commits to Tennessee

Everybody's all hot to get a 7 footer and that might work, but right now Barnes has a team made to run. He's got the ability to put 2 four man ball-handling rotations. The 5 would be a guy for some inside offense in the set offense, a rebounder and a deep inside defender, but we're built right now for speed with a point guard and 3 other guys 6'4" to 6'7, all athletic open court players. That would cut into Fulk's scoring but could really open it up down low for him. This could really be fun.

The question is whether Barnes will give up that much control. I was here when Mears let them run with the Ernie and Bernie show and it was fantastic. We didn't have anyone over 6'7" on those teams,

Then Georgia had a great team in 82-83 with Dominique Wilkens and Vern Fleming. They were extraordinary, going to the final four. No one over 6'7".
The college game isn’t anchored by 7-foot centers like back in the 80s. We don’t need one and with the way the game is played they could be more of a hinderance. One of the reasons Auburn was so successful a couple years ago was because Okeke was almost impossible for other post players to guard. Had he not gotten hurt in the tourney they might’ve won it all seeing as how they almost did anyway.

I love that the Vols finally reeled in this kid, but does anyone know his true height?
He looks much shorter than the 6'1" he's listed at.

Everybody's all hot to get a 7 footer and that might work, but right now Barnes has a team made to run. He's got the ability to put 2 four man ball-handling rotations. The 5 would be a guy for some inside offense in the set offense, a rebounder and a deep inside defender, but we're built right now for speed with a point guard and 3 other guys 6'4" to 6'7, all athletic open court players. That would cut into Fulk's scoring but could really open it up down low for him. This could really be fun.

The question is whether Barnes will give up that much control. I was here when Mears let them run with the Ernie and Bernie show and it was fantastic. We didn't have anyone over 6'7" on those teams,

Then Georgia had a great team in 82-83 with Dominique Wilkens and Vern Fleming. They were extraordinary, going to the final four. No one over 6'7".

Bob Brykalski, Irv Chatman, and most notably Reggie Johnson were all over 6’7” although it was only Reggie’s freshman season. It would be accurate to say that Ernie and Bernie played without another regular over 6’7” for most of their careers. Ashworth was just 6’6” iirc. Kosmalski was a star player during Ernie’s freshman year (the year before Bernard joined the Volunteers). Chatman was a regular but only played half a season.

Video's on Chandler are crazy...also saw a crystal ball just hit for Paolo Banchero. I'm excited about this, but even more excited that it seems that NCAA BBall has a very reasonable path to at least playing SEC schedule in a bubble. No big difference from playing taking classes remotely on campus vs at designated location. NBA having no issues...copy what works.
  • Latest Predictions
    • 9321957.jpg
    • Paolo Banchero (2021)PF / 6-9 / 235 0.9993
    • Jerry MeyerDirector of Basketball Scouting
    • (90.00%)27 / 30
    • 4649630.png

8/14/20 4:46PM
    • 6MED
      VIP SCOOP
👀

How many of those "Barnes can't recruit"/"Barnes is just drawing a paycheck until retirement" have issued their Mea culpa? I don't come over here enough to see them. I remember reading a lot of negativity early though from the usual suspects.

Reactions: Nickid1975
Who said Barnes can't recruit? Anyone want to fess up?
I was wondering if he could during his first 2 years here...Hugh disappointment to me anyway at that time. I don't know if the big money has motivated him or what, but it didn't look good for awhile...

I was wondering if he could during his first 2 years here...Hugh disappointment to me anyway at that time. I don't know if the big money has motivated him or what, but it didn't look good for awhile...

Actually I thought his best coaching performance came in his first 2 years. He did more with less and was competitive with a group strung together with baling wire. So many different lineups it was amazing. Then he turned them into NBA players.

Actually I thought his best coaching performance came in his first 2 years. He did more with less and was competitive with a group strung together with baling wire. So many different lineups it was amazing. Then he turned them into NBA players.
I agree with you. He did a great job with what he had to work with. It will be interesting to see how he does with a roster of nba type talent.

I am just going to make some educated guesses. First, he had to adjust a bit and develop some relationships in the SE. I would have to look it up, but it seemed like a majority of his recruits at Texas were from Texas, Canada, Nevada. Of course, he had the occasional one like KD from DC.

Second, I can’t remember him publicly speaking on it or not, but I recall him souring at 5 stars who thought they were one and done at Texas, but they really weren’t. He seemed to adjust to that starting at UT by recruiting guys who weren’t 5 stars but would take tough coaching. I think you can still make this argument with the 5 stars- all seem to want to get coached and come from great backgrounds. Just read what they are already saying about Keon’s work ethic, and locally in Memphis, the reports are that KC has really worked hard to get where he is. It hasn’t all been athletic ability.

These are just two things why you may have seen a “slow start” in recruiting at UT. But I said at the time that I was definitely on board with his hiring because he brought instant credibility to a program that was in terrible shape.

I am just going to make some educated guesses. First, he had to adjust a bit and develop some relationships in the SE. I would have to look it up, but it seemed like a majority of his recruits at Texas were from Texas, Canada, Nevada. Of course, he had the occasional one like KD from DC.

Second, I can’t remember him publicly speaking on it or not, but I recall him souring at 5 stars who thought they were one and done at Texas, but they really weren’t. He seemed to adjust to that starting at UT by recruiting guys who weren’t 5 stars but would take tough coaching. I think you can still make this argument with the 5 stars- all seem to want to get coached and come from great backgrounds. Just read what they are already saying about Keon’s work ethic, and locally in Memphis, the reports are that KC has really worked hard to get where he is. It hasn’t all been athletic ability.

These are just two things why you may have seen a “slow start” in recruiting at UT. But I said at the time that I was definitely on board with his hiring because he brought instant credibility to a program that was in terrible shape.
I think that is the most encouraging sign. Not all highly-ranked players are created equally. Most of our highly-ranked players prior to Barnes had some sort of baggage as a person or shortcomings as a player. Tobias Harris being the exception. Barnes is identifying 5-stars that ALSO fit what he is looking for in a player. These aren't the Duke Crews and Ramar Smith's of the world.

I think that is the most encouraging sign. Not all highly-ranked players are created equally. Most of our highly-ranked players prior to Barnes had some sort of baggage as a person or shortcomings as a player. Tobias Harris being the exception. Barnes is identifying 5-stars that ALSO fit what he is looking for in a player. These aren't the Duke Crews and Ramar Smith's of the world.
We are getting ready to run. Every he is recruiting including Banchero can run shoot and handle the rock.

Reactions: Orangeburst
I've admitted I wasn't too sure when we hired Rick either. And I have been proven wrong! And I'm glad I was. But I sincerely am more impressed with the character of the kids he's recruited than their talent. And developing a file on a kid's character cant be done on one trip to watch an AAU tournament. It takes several years getting to know the kid AND THE FAMILY HE COMES FROM. This is massively important to Rick. I'm proud that he and his coaches do that leg work. Of course you will miss on that judgement occasionally but we've had some high character kids with Rick.

We've got two coaches (Barnes and Pruitt) that aren't trying to be the players friend. They're trying to be their Mentor. Many friendships come and go in life but, a mentor is a relationship of respect that last a lifetime.

Kentucky fans looking a little nervous up there...Of course they downplay it. Kennedy Chandler announcing today at 1

I don't know where I found the willpower to read all five pages of that thread, but I did it. What a bunch of sad losers. It was literally five pages of them whining and crying about how elite they are and how Tennessee is just a flash in the pan. They kept saying to the few Tennessee posters "you don't know anything about basketball" yet that whole thread was in denial about the potential of Banchero to Tennessee.

We very well might not land Banchero, I would say it's a long shot still that we get him, but to completely deny it as a possibility and to say Banchero "didn't do his homework" if he chooses Tennessee is blatant homerism. At least I can admit Kentucky is the likely landing spot for Banchero. What a bunch of miserable people they are.

I don't know where I found the willpower to read all five pages of that thread, but I did it. What a bunch of sad losers. It was literally five pages of them whining and crying about how elite they are and how Tennessee is just a flash in the pan. They kept saying to the few Tennessee posters "you don't know anything about basketball" yet that whole thread was in denial about the potential of Banchero to Tennessee.

We very well might not land Banchero, I would say it's a long shot still that we get him, but to completely deny it as a possibility and to say Banchero "didn't do his homework" if he chooses Tennessee is blatant homerism. At least I can admit Kentucky is the likely landing spot for Banchero. What a bunch of miserable people they are.
I smell what u are cooking about those elitist UK fans. But, since Payne went to the Knicks, I think UT, right now, leads for Banchero. Maybe I'm just being a homer, but in my mind, I think the Vols have, an over 50% chance to land Paolo, right now.

Btw, Mookie jacked 3 HRs in a game for a record number of times, this week. I know u are a BoSox fan, but u gotta still kinda like him ? Would have loved to see him at UT.

Reactions: Lefteye

Off topic, but 'Nique wasn't on that team. His legacy is cemented as not being a winner. It's why he wasn't on the ALL-NBA at 50 Team in 1997, while players like Bill Walton were. He never played in the NCAA Tournament during his 3 years in college from 1980-82, and he never made it as far as the Conference Finals in his 15 seasons in the NBA.

I smell what u are cooking about those elitist UK fans. But, since Payne went to the Knicks, I think UT, right now, leads for Banchero. Maybe I'm just being a homer, but in my mind, I think the Vols have, an over 50% chance to land Paolo, right now.

Btw, Mookie jacked 3 HRs in a game for a record number of times, this week. I know u are a BoSox fan, but u gotta still kinda like him ? Would have loved to see him at UT.

I'm thinking our chances are around 40 - 50%, but only because the more local teams probably have a bigger chance than what is being discussed. It is not because UK has a better chance than us.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I liked the coaching, but his recruiting was certainly underwhelming at first.

His 2017 class produced one player and the 2018 class didn’t produce one minute of production for Tennessee basketball. Love where we are headed, 2020 was a huge haul and 2021 is off to a great start. But the reason we weren’t going to make the NCAAT this past spring was because of his poor recruiting.

I agree with the coaching, I was replying to the recruiting question...

VN Store

Back