5-star DL Daevin Hobbs commits to UT

Is water wet?
We are literally trying to play a 10-6 unsuited hold 'em hand against SEC competition. The answer is players as good as our rivals. Don't forget that our ragtag group held NFL Levis and KY to 6 points, and we kept Georgia way below their average.

I'm not writing off any coaches, quite yet.

Given what they've had to work with, and given our record is 9-2 with one of the toughest schedules in the country, no one should say these defensive coaches should be fired. Let's let Coach Heupel and Danny White decide on those things.
Of course Heupel and White will make those decisions.
But I think it’s perfectly understandable for many in our fan base to think that Banks and Martinez have underperformed.

Elite coaching doesn’t need elite players. Look at Heupel on the offensive side of the ball. Did he have 4 and 5 star guys all over the field???? No, he didn’t. He has a system that hopefully will be plug and play. We’ll know more once Milton or whoever takes over next year. Talent helps but the absolute crap show that we saw multiple times this year on defense is coaching more than anything else.

Martinez 100% needs to go… I’m more on the fence with Banks but I’ve seen nothing from the defensive unit to suggest this guy is competent. It’s Heupel’s neck ultimately … next year’s offense likely won’t be able to cover the defensive mistakes in the same way that this team has been able to do.
This is the mindset that has kept this team in the wilderness for so long. We have zero continuity and flushing the staff after two years will not help. We have a very good defensive recruiting class for next year. Fire our defensive staff after year 2 and watch it disintegrate.
We will just have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Let's see what he can do with some of his recruits. You and those like you still don't realize the situation Banks came in to. We were coming off a 3-7 season and lost about half of our defensive players. The team is far from where it needs to be, but has shown flashes of something better. If we still look this way defensively next year with the class that is coming in, then you can spew your venom with no rebuke from me or those who see things the way I do.
Agreed. I'm not ready to turn on Banks just yet. Give him a chance to bring his players in here and develop them.

This is the mindset that has kept this team in the wilderness for so long. We have zero continuity and flushing the staff after two years will not help. We have a very good defensive recruiting class for next year. Fire our defensive staff after year 2 and watch it disintegrate.

I think 100% we need talented dudes at depth. I also think that faster guys will probably make our defense better. What I don’t know is if our current group should perform better than it does in places like the secondary in year two under their position coach and coordinator.

I also don’t understand how much of the issue is talent versus scheme, or player development in terms of technique and knowledge and such right now. I get that talent will make us better, but are we underperforming with who have now or over performing or is it about as expected?

Is our talent really so much worse than some of the teams opponents who made us look bad played, and if not did they likewise get torched? Genuinely asking, not sure. I know we will look a little worse anyway but how big is the talent gap and how do teams we have played perform against defenses with similarly talented backfields?

Also I get that people aren’t gonna get faster during the season. Did our guys just start from a much lower point as athletes and get better each year but they just had a lower ceiling, or did they just not improve as much as comparable guys who starter with similar evaluations each year? I mean did they fail to pan out or was never much thought likely to happen with them when recruited?

I am no expert so really don’t know the answer to these things. I do know more guys who are more athletic should help us but is it just that we plug them in and everything gets better or does the scheme change because they can do things our current guys would look even worse trying?

I like Heupel and think he’s smart. I trust him to make good decisions. A lot of people hate the secondary coach but I have no idea if it’s fair or not. Like what do they teach these guys and how much does it matter versus if they just athletic enough? Similarly the coordinator gets flack, but is our scheme actually bad?

I mean I’d like to think scheme, technique, and athleticism all matter. Maybe some who have played DB can chime in. WRT to how the coaches are doing and if they are using their people well, I see plenty calling for changes but very few comments on what they are specifically doing wrong.

Similarly others are just like we need better guys, but is that actually true and everything else is as good as it should be or could we do better in the meantime?

It's an excellent pickup. A top 10 talent at his position.

Rivals has him #9 at his position and 4 stars.

24/7 has him #11 at his position and 4 stars.

Wonder how much he is getting.

Of course Heupel and White will make those decisions.
But I think it’s perfectly understandable for many in our fan base to think that Banks and Martinez have underperformed.

I sincerely doubt that CJH has not been involved in ALL the personnel decisions and gameplans on that side of the ball. How HE views the effectiveness of that staff given the roster he supplied them is ALL that matters. There are no statistics or scores that will override that calculation. There is certainly zero value add to the program for the serial bashing of his hand picked staff. The most probable outcome of this redundant cyber backslapping is creating doubt in our commits and targets minds on that side of the ball. The distribution of our accepted commits should give anyone that reviews it a hint to what CJH sees as the needs of this team. 6 DBs and 3 LBs and a total of 13 out of 23 on that side of the ball in all so far is telling and our apparent highest remaining target list too. No telling how many we are seeking in the portal. Hoping we can add a couple of really capable grad CBs to mentor this youth movement next year.

Banks and Martinez have not played a snap. Is it perfectly understandable that they'd acknowledge that fact?

Neither did sal sunseri or butch jones, what’s your point? Is banks not responsible for putting together defensive game plans/calling plays? Is willie Martinez responsible for developing the defensive backs? The talent argument only goes so far. Tennessee has enough talent to not have showings like they did last weekend, or in several other instances. Those two coaches are the glaring weakness on the staff.

Or …. we’ve hired horrible head coaches for the last 12 years who in turn mostly hired horrible coordinators and position coaches. From Dooley on, there probably aren’t 2 or 3 coaches that I would want on any staff. Players come and go… especially with the portal now. Get the coaching right and everything else falls into place.

Welcome young man to Vol Nation!!!

We're all looking forward to watching you whip some (_)_) on the footVOL field!

Keep bring in these types of players coaches.

This guy is a serious big time BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Banks and Martinez have not played a snap. Is it perfectly understandable that they'd acknowledge that fact?
Is it perfectly fine understandable to understand they will never play a snap? No matter how bad or how long they’re here they will never play a snap.

Do we need talent? Absolutely. No one is arguing that. What the critics have an issue with us being dead last in pass defense. Do you legit think we’re dead last in talent? Maybe just maybe the coaching and the scheme isn’t making the most of our available talent. Do we legit believe the Vandy’s and the Miss State’s of the world have better talent? Bc those teams are better defensively than us.

Reactions: TN1111
thank-you-god-thank-you.gif

VN Store

Back