5 returnees I'd like to see make huge jumps next year

He doesn’t even have to do that, but I’m afraid that’s what it would take for him not to see the field. I’ll never be at ease as long as he’s on the sideline. Good kid, sh*tty QB.

We played him because he had the experience. This year, we have a transfer with experience, if no one else steps up. I don't think the coaches played him because they thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. If he plays, he will have (and continued to) earned it. I don't think he will make it past the first half of the first game, if he doesn't show marked improvement from this past season.

Crouch. Moves to RB. Become #1 RB by game 2.
Henry T. Takes over as leader of the defense.
Bennett Lives up to his Father's legacy
Smith Stays healthy, moves to L Tackle, Number 1 pick in next draft
B. Johnson Gets cleared of his issues, we are calling him Brandon Siete by game three, and he offers refs dollar bills.

Reactions: Alto1
1) Roman Harrison- Played more as the season went and was completely new to the position. Though tough guy. Kivon Bennett will have a say so in who starts here.

2) Brian Maurer- at times looked as if he was the future. And a very bright one. Needs to continue learning the expectations of QB

3) Wanya Morris- hit the freshman wall for a bit. Still started almost everygame. Strong LT helps create a potent passing attack.

4) Henry To'oto'o- 2020 and on the defense is his. Will he become the man!

5) DeAngelo Gibbs- Redshirt that has tons of offensive abilities. Great hands and physical. Playmaker.

I'll start with the caveat that I'm not going to include any true Freshman (since they haven't played in college yet) and not going to include anyone who took a huge jump sometime last year (like Gray and Bumphus).

1. Wanya Morris. Lot of potential, but also had a ton of mistakes as a Freshman. Need to see him take a big step forward next season and bcome a much more dominant OL.

2. Brandon Johnson. We really need some of these WRs to step up big-time next year. Johnson has struggled since Pruitt took over, but we've seen him show flashes of brilliance, particularly back in 2017. He doesn't need to become the #1 WR, but would love to see him get some more catches. Think Cedric Tillman is also another good pick among the WRs; he's shown flashes, but hasn't become a go-to WR yet.

3. Brian Maurer. I could also go with JG here, but JG's performances against Vandy and Indiana have me once again skeptical that he could ever take us to the promised land. Maurer, at times, looked like the best QB on the roster, particularly during the 1st half of that Georgia game. He also at times, showed himself to be the worst QB by constantly forcing passes, throwing into triple-coverage, etc. The weird thing is that JG needs more of Maurer's attributes (confidence, speed, charisma), while Maurer needs more of JG's attributes (patience, not forcing passes). But I think if Maurer studies the game more in the offseason, he can take a big step forward; he has all the skills needed; just needs to eliminate the mistakes.

4. JJ Peterson. We still haven't seen much of him, but seems like he's now at the point where he's competing for the starting job at ILB, which would be great if he could step up and take the reins. That allows us to play Crouch on the outside.

5. Quavaris Crouch. Crouch had a reasonably good season for a true Freshman LB playing multiple positions who was more of a RB in high school. If he can continue to improve this offseason, I could see him becoming a big contributor on D

Last edited:
I see no reason to redshirt Bailey IF he’s as good as advertised. If he does get redshirted I’d say that’s a great sign about our QB’s but also a sign he’s gonna need time to adjust to the game. If he’s good he needs a chance to get ANY possible mop up duties (Lord willing or possible next year) to get his hands on the ball in real game situations before he’d potentially take over the next year.

If he’s as good as we hope he’ll never be here five years. It’s be pointless.

With jg not gona have but maybe 1 mop up duty. Jg is holding team back dramatically. Hurts our run game as well as passing game.

We played him because he had the experience. This year, we have a transfer with experience, if no one else steps up. I don't think the coaches played him because they thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. If he plays, he will have (and continued to) earned it. I don't think he will make it past the first half of the first game, if he doesn't show marked improvement from this past season.

WE have 2 more qb on roster that will be 2nd yr under Cheney. Pruitt has said he would take talent over expierence before.

#1. QB play, regardless who it is, has to be more consistent. Dr. Jeckell & Mr. Hyde has to run out of eligibility. It changes qtr to qtr. You solve that issue, this team could be a contender. If not 7-5, 6-6 again.

I was thinking about who needs to make the biggest jump next year to benefit the team most. If I had to narrow it to 5, I'd pick the following:

1) Wanya Morris- Left Tackle might be the most important position in football besides QB. It's definitely the 2nd most important on offense. If Morris lives up to his 5* billing next year, that will do wonders for this OL.
2) Darnell Wright- Like Morris, Wright living up to his 5* status will help make this OL not just good, but dominant.
3) Jarrett Guarantano- I'm a little hesitant with this one because I think Bailey could be special as a freshman. But if JG can make a big jump and become a top tier SEC QB, this team improves exponentially and Bailey can redshirt.
4) Roman Harrison- Tennessee needs an elite edge rusher to replace Taylor and Harrison very well could be that guy.
5) Trevon Flowers- I struggled a little with this one. I was tempted to say JJ Peterson. But I think Crouch could be a great ILB next to Toots, mitigating the need for Peterson to make a huge leap. I think we have excellent CBs and Tank will be a fantastic Safety. If Flowers makes a big leap this year, this secondary will be elite. And if we have an elite secondary, I think we'll have an elite defense.

Honorable mention: JJ Peterson, Kivon Bennett, K'Rojhn Calbert, Aubrey Solomon, Latrell Bumphus

Who are y'all's five?
I wanna see Crouch make that number 27 leap! I know it's alot to ask but he has the build! Why we dont hand it off to him every time we are inside the 5 is beyond me!

Reactions: ArdentVol
#1. QB play, regardless who it is, has to be more consistent. Dr. Jeckell & Mr. Hyde has to run out of eligibility. It changes qtr to qtr. You solve that issue, this team could be a contender. If not 7-5, 6-6 again.
Not with an elite oline, a defense, and Mr Eric Gray. Then we need a game manager.

(1) DeA. Johnson & R. Harrison...We’ve got to find speed off the ends..... (2) W. Morris & D. Wright... less penalties holding and false starts.... (3) B. Johnson & C. Tillman.... I’m excited to see there next level.... (4) J.J. Peterson & Q. Crouch need to pu the speed of the game.... (5) The kicking game... (P) Brooks needs to be more consistent & Cimaglia lost his (holder) Doyle Transfered out....ALL OF THESE ARE JUST FINE TUNING.....I’m not going into the QB. Situation because Pruitt & Chaney get paid to figure that one out !!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
1) Ramel Keyton
2) Wanya Morris
3) Aubrey Solomon
4) Quavaris Crouch
5) Warren Burrell
Keyton is at the top for me as well.

Really good list. Can't really disagree with any of those.

I might would add McCoullough to the list somewhere but Crouch is certainly on there, with Bituli leaving.

VN Store

Back