5 returnees I'd like to see make huge jumps next year

NighthawkVol

I was thinking about who needs to make the biggest jump next year to benefit the team most. If I had to narrow it to 5, I'd pick the following:

1) Wanya Morris- Left Tackle might be the most important position in football besides QB. It's definitely the 2nd most important on offense. If Morris lives up to his 5* billing next year, that will do wonders for this OL.
2) Darnell Wright- Like Morris, Wright living up to his 5* status will help make this OL not just good, but dominant.
3) Jarrett Guarantano- I'm a little hesitant with this one because I think Bailey could be special as a freshman. But if JG can make a big jump and become a top tier SEC QB, this team improves exponentially and Bailey can redshirt.
4) Roman Harrison- Tennessee needs an elite edge rusher to replace Taylor and Harrison very well could be that guy.
5) Trevon Flowers- I struggled a little with this one. I was tempted to say JJ Peterson. But I think Crouch could be a great ILB next to Toots, mitigating the need for Peterson to make a huge leap. I think we have excellent CBs and Tank will be a fantastic Safety. If Flowers makes a big leap this year, this secondary will be elite. And if we have an elite secondary, I think we'll have an elite defense.

Honorable mention: JJ Peterson, Kivon Bennett, K'Rojhn Calbert, Aubrey Solomon, Latrell Bumphus

Who are y'all's five?

Last edited:
Mine would be your #3! Need him to make a jump to a different program. I like the kid and I think he has give his all, but it’s just not enough and with what we will have on the field next year, he cannot be allowed to hold us back.

He holds the ball way too long and way too slow to make a decision. Just really don’t think he has “it” upstairs to play at the level that Tennessee Football needs to be.

I was thinking about who needs to make the biggest jump next year to benefit the team most. If I had to narrow it to 5, I'd pick the following:

1) Wanya Morris- Left Tackle might be the most important position in football besides QB. It's definitely the 2nd most important on offense. If Morris lives up to his 5* billing next year, that will do wonders for this OL.
2) Darnell Wright- Like Morris, Wright living up to his 5* status will help make this OL not just good, but dominant.
3) Jarrett Guarantano- I'm a little hesitant with this one because I think Bailey could be special as a freshman. But if JG can make a big jump and become a top tier SEC QB, this team improves exponentially and Bailey can redshirt.
4) Roman Harrison- Tennessee needs an elite edge rusher to replace Taylor and Harrison very well could be that guy.
5) Trevon Flowers- I struggled a little with this one. I was tempted to say JJ Peterson. But I think Crouch could be a great ILB next to Toots, mitigating the need for Peterson to make a huge leap. I think we have excellent CBs and Tank will be a fantastic Safety. If Flowers makes a big leap this year, this secondary will be elite. And if we have an elite secondary, I think we'll have an elite defense.

Honorable mention: JJ Peterson, Kivon Bennett, K'Rojhn Calbert, Aubrey Solomon, Latrell Bumphus

Who are y'all's five?
Back to your original question, unless Cade comes here and is allowed to play immediately, Jerome Carvin is a must to need to make a big move. He can solidify our line and have a very nasty starting OL if he can bring it. He pushed an Indiana kid so hard on a play, I looked to see if he still had his shoes on. He plays nasty and is strong as an ox, just need it to all come together and him fulfill our OL.

1. Chandler- has 1,000 yd potential but hasnt reached it yet.
2. Any of the TE'S- leaps there will be huge for offense.
3. Emmitt Gooden- didnt get to see him last year, but a leap from him can give us a strong dline to an already improving front.
4. Ramel Keyton- Josh Palmer is proven but he cant do it alone and we need that game breaking take the top off the d on the other side.
5. DeAndre Johnson- I think the potential is there to be a stud off the edge.

JG needs to speed things up stop being afraid to make mistakes and make plays. If he makes a mistake forget about it and move to the next one.

Tim Jordan or Ty Chandler need to decide who’s going to be the counterpart to Gray

ToTo needs to take the next step in his game. With Bituli gone he’s he caller for the defense on the field. We’ll need not only his play making ability but his leadership as well.

Last but not least I’d like to see someone get out front at the NT spot and start disrupting at a consistent basis. Can not stress enough how important the NT spot is in Pruitts system.

Pruitt needs to decide who the 2nd and 3rd backs are. Hopefully hodge, crouch, banks, beasley etc. will be ahead of chandler and jordan. I think their contributions are little to none lately

Reactions: NighthawkVol
1. JG - The need for improvement here is obvious
2. Morris - If he develops well, the left side of the line will dominate.
3. Wright - If he develops well, the right side of the line will dominate.
4. Gray - It's been a long time since we've had an elite back. Could Gray be the guy? I'd like to see him get stronger and break more tackles. If he does and if he stays healthy I think he'll have a special season.
5. Q Crouch - This has the potential to be the best LB corps we've had since what, Burnett and the gang? Al Wilson and the gang? Doesn't matter. They have the potential to be great, but I was a little disappointed with Crouch's presence on defense this year. I'm chalking it up to him being raw as a LB. Hoping his sophomore season will be like Henry T's freshman season.

Pruitt needs to decide who the 2nd and 3rd backs are. Hopefully hodge, crouch, banks, beasley etc. will be ahead of chandler and jordan. I think their contributions are little to none lately
Chandler was battling an injury down the stretch I thought?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
1. Brian Maurer control the aggressive style
2. JJ Peterson be physically ready
3. DeAndre Johnson time to beast out
4. Austin Pope learn the snap count
5. Brandon Johnson lead the team in receptions and yards in 2017 37 for 582 (many forget) took a redshirt in 2019 and will be a senior leader on the team both on and off the field

These are not the 5 most important players for 2020 but the 5 in my opinion that with a good step forward will make the 2020 Vols a SEC East contender.

Go Vols

JG needs to speed things up stop being afraid to make mistakes and make plays. If he makes a mistake forget about it and move to the next one.

Tim Jordan or Ty Chandler need to decide who’s going to be the counterpart to Gray

ToTo needs to take the next step in his game. With Bituli gone he’s he caller for the defense on the field. We’ll need not only his play making ability but his leadership as well.

Last but not least I’d like to see someone get out front at the NT spot and start disrupting at a consistent basis. Can not stress enough how important the NT spot is in Pruitts system.
Only thing Guarantano needs to speed up is the processing of his transfer paperwork.

Crouch will play linebacker, if Banks returns to the team he’ll be a linebacker as well, Beasley will play on defense too.

Our running backs next year, barring any transfers, will be Chandler, Jordan, Gray, Fils-Amie, Hodge and Whitehead (to start).

Reactions: LittleVol
1. JG - The need for improvement here is obvious
2. Morris - If he develops well, the left side of the line will dominate.
3. Wright - If he develops well, the right side of the line will dominate.
4. Gray - It's been a long time since we've had an elite back. Could Gray be the guy? I'd like to see him get stronger and break more tackles. If he does and if he stays healthy I think he'll have a special season.
5. Q Crouch - This has the potential to be the best LB corps we've had since what, Burnett and the gang? Al Wilson and the gang? Doesn't matter. They have the potential to be great, but I was a little disappointed with Crouch's presence on defense this year. I'm chalking it up to him being raw as a LB. Hoping his sophomore season will be like Henry T's freshman season.
Or at least fully utilized the elite back we had on the team (Kamara)...

Only thing Guarantano needs to speed up is the processing of his transfer paperwork.

He doesn’t even have to do that, but I’m afraid that’s what it would take for him not to see the field. I’ll never be at ease as long as he’s on the sideline. Good kid, sh*tty QB.

Reactions: cgrish
Roman Harrison, has the stuff to be great, if he puts the work in he'll be one of the best not just on this team, but he could really shine. Again, I said if he puts the work in-one day we'll see him playing on Sunday.

1. QB, take your pic. Maurer, Shrout or JG.
2. Palmer, has plenty of ability but needs help with his hands.
3. TE Austin Pope, always seem to call good plays for him but something else happens to ruin it.
4. Crouch, we need a pass rusher and if he stays outside I would like to see him get after the QB.
5. Gooden, coming off the injury and we need production from the DL. they did a good job not getting pushed back but very limited production imo.

Reactions: whodeycin85
I see no reason to redshirt Bailey IF he’s as good as advertised. If he does get redshirted I’d say that’s a great sign about our QB’s but also a sign he’s gonna need time to adjust to the game. If he’s good he needs a chance to get ANY possible mop up duties (Lord willing or possible next year) to get his hands on the ball in real game situations before he’d potentially take over the next year.

If he’s as good as we hope he’ll never be here five years. It’s be pointless.

5 Returnees.

1. If Jarrett is going to be a starter, then he needs a huge leap forward, particularly in his ability to anticipate and throw proper timing routes. If he isn't the starter, then assuming Brian is the starter. He needs to make a huge leap in understanding and reading defenses. He can throw with anticipation, but his ability to know where and when to do so is his liability.

2. JJ Peterson. It's time for him to arrive. He's the next man up next to HTT. If he doesn't, then it puts a strain on the multi linebacker position. Will need more of the freshmen to carry the load. Not terrible, but not ideal.

3. Number two wide receiver. Assuming RK takes over the slot. Whoever moves up to take the number two will be essential in pulling coverage off Palmer and Keyton.

4. TE. Somebody has to step up and exceed DWA. I know that spot has been restricted by the QB play. But that 4th receiver/6th blocker role needs to be effective to force defensive adjustments.

5. Punter. Since our line should be good, maybe great the running game should improve. QB play should be better somehow. The defense doesn't need huge leaps except for JJ. This team will utilize ball control and field positioning. The punter must become more consistent and reliable in order for that to work.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

Who are y'all's five?

1. Will Friend - With the OL talent we have now, it is actually on Friend to develop and motivate that talent.
2. DeAngelo Gibbs - Palmer, Keyton, Johnson and Tillman are nothing more than a serviceable unit given our erratic QB play. We need Gibbs to bring the toughness and energy that JJ brought. He has the talent, can he translate that into results?
3. Roman Harrison - He is the only potential explosive edge rusher we have. KB can be consistently good, but doesn't have the talent to be elite. We need this guy to step up and be elite.
4. Ty Chandler - Ty seemed to regress this past year. Fewer explosive plays and more turnovers. We need him to take a leadership role and return to his previous form. Two SEC level backs that can make explosive plays would pair well with our OL.
5. Jaylen McCullough - Nigel Warrior went from a liability to an All SEC level performer last season. With Flowers back, McCullough will likely slide over to replace Warrior. Need him to step into those shoes quickly.

JG will never be more than he has been and I don't trust CJP to move past him, so no need wasting breath talking about him

Who are y'all's five?

I would only dispute Guarantano on your list. I think we all know his ceiling. So by your own parameters, saying who "needs" to make the biggest jump he would be #1. You could eliminate the rest of the list. If JG made an improvement jump, you're looking at a major season with all our other parts. I guess my point is that I think a list like this should be realistic. If you would have put Maurer at three, that would make more sense. I hope I'm wrong, but I think JG is going to cause a lot of division in the fan base next year. If we have two losses to Oklahoma and Florida and look bad in the losses, then it's going to get ugly.

1) Wayna Morris- has the best chance on the line to improve enough to give us 3 All SEC lineman.
2) Quavaris Crouch- he needs to improve enough at linebacker enough to put up similar numbers to what Toot did.
3) Bryce Thompson- he needs a good off-season. If he is a leader, our DBs should be our strongest position group next year.
4) Josh Palmer- he will get his number called alot on 3rd down. He will lead the team in receptions and we will need him to have a couple in clutch situations.
5) Eric Gray- WR are unproven and QB is a question mark. The best thing to help these is a strong rushing attack. We have the line but we need an elite back. Gray has the potential to clearly step up and be RB1

Reactions: LittleVol
I'm hoping Simmons out of Nashville who red shirted makes a leap and becomes an every down type player on our DL. The youngster played some throughout the year and you will find him right in the middle of that 4 down goal line stand against UK.

Banks? I thought he was off the team. Was it just a season long suspension?

VN Store

Back