5 reasons for concern with Chaney

Click bait.
The only point I see with any substance is predictable. CJP can fix that in a heart beat. It is just tendency. Predictable in his case means in critical situations he tries to get the ball to his play makers, most OCs do.
David Cut would do the same, and he was criticized for it.
In critical scoring situations do you execute what you know how to do with your play makers, or go “surprise” with some less skilled players? If your jimmy is better than their joe, go with what you know. If not, surprise, surprise, surprise.
Chaney will be just fine. No HC has time to micromanage his coordinator to success. Ask Butch.
No it's a tendency to be repetitive im every situation. Pass every first down, or first play. Run when run is expected, pass when pass is expected. Passing 3 times and running once. Running the same type of routes or plays.

Kinda like us this season. Run, run, pass on 3rd and long.

This is definitely one of the dumber articles I've seen. And the biggest "real reason" for concern (recruiting) wasn't listed. The rest of it amounts to absurd speculation.

Here's a rundown for those who want to save a click (or 5):

(5) In spite of being successful at 5 different spots as OC, perhaps the only reason for Chaney's success was that he was micromanaged by others. [LOL! this one is too absurd to even address]

(4) Other schools didn't try hard enough to keep him when he got better job offers. [you could say the same thing about literally every human being who's gotten a better job offer]

(3) Didn't beat Jeremy Pruitt's defense in 2017 [OK ... fair ... but we also have Pruitt]

(2) The Dooley years were bad and it might've been Chaney's fault [or much more likely, Dooley's fault; we put up 44 points against Georgia in 2012 and still lost; Dooley hired Sunseri and Dooley's recruiting was absolute crap]

(1) Chaney has had bad offensive seasons [and almost all of the examples deal with a "year 1" situation where he did not inherit much talent; only the 1st year at Georgia seems like a real strike against him IMO; and even then he was using a true Freshman QB]

I won't say Chaney is a sure-fire success, but this is just bad writing.

What is wrong with you DG. Do you not trust an internet journalist and his Macbook to be smarter and more understanding of managing big time CFB than those coaches?

I love how these morons with keyboards and print press or website or radio tower can decipher how things go down in a CFB coaching staff and make judgement calls about it. Most never even played backyard touch ball. Yet desperate fans scour the social media and internet LISTENING to their meaningless opinions.

So I'm not football expert.. As a matter of fact I am not a expert at anything.. But like everyone.. I have thoughts and opinions.. So here is mine on Chaney, Pruitt, previous coaching and UT football..

-Previous coaching recruited much differently than what Pruitt wants for UT
-The culture at UT had apparently regressed related to the discipline of football, example.. Strength and conditioning along with techniques / fundamentals.
-UT football now needs hard coaching and stability, with that being said, players that want to be in the program need to relearn what was taught by the previous staff, players that are non receptive need to be weeded out... And new players need to be brought in to fit Pruitts vision.
-UT is basically needing a total rebuild. UT isn't like Georgia for example that had a foundation when Richt left and Smart came in.. UT with Pruitt is breaking ground again IMO.. And I say this based on the history of the Oline.
-Chaney is a excellent decision IMO and it doesn't have as much to do with the debated play calling as it does with player development, teaching, grooming the QBs.. So much more dynamics than calling plays.
-Pruitt is recruiting based on his vision, he needs coach's that can see what he is wanting to put on a canvas and paint it.. Not the other way around, this is why I believe Chaney is a good fit.
-I like everyone want to win now.. But when I study the history of the program, UT needs a large overhaul and I have to temper my expectations unfortunately.. So I look at other teams that have had stability at their programs then I look to the future.. Look at Clemson and Kentucky for example. I wish we would have had this under Jones, but I digress..

To some my opinion up.. I am looking way further than play calling.. To many things that need to be fixed before we can call plays.. The program needs money in the bank before we start spending..

Jmo as a UT fan and proud father of a UT student.. ☺

Man, this is a really accurate post IMO.
In synopsis, we'll have to be patient. :-\ Ugggh.

Reactions: FïreBall
This article is taking some heat, but of all the reasons, #2 is really the only one that is dumb.

In reason #5, he says Chaney was micromanaged by Dooley during his previous stop at Tennessee. In reason #2, he says his Tennessee stint was unsuccessful. Well, if reason #5 is correct, how can you blame him for reason #2? He's trying to have it both ways there.

No idea if Chaney will or won't be successful here but this article is full of lies, heresay and even some b.s. Chaney isn't repsonsible for the failure known as Derek Dooley, Bielema isn't at Arkansas so couldn't have been Chaney's fault and Matt Canada has been a coach at approximately 65 other schools since Chaney was at Pitt so.... Nice try Caleb but your article is rated F and I can think of a few four letter words that start with that to describe the nonsense you wasted your time writing and caused me to waste my time reading.

I hate that All For Tennessee site. Almost every article they post is set up to where you have to click through 5 to 10 pages to read their 'points'. All designed for the reader to click on more ads. Nobody there knows anything.

I've tried to say the same thing and I've gotten my head bit off every time. This is not a homerun hire and expectations should be drastically tempered.
You feel like this article validates your opinion? The article is BS and your opinion is, well, just that an opinion. It's really strange that there are so many real validated pundits that agree that this is indeed a home run hire. Of course, I'm sure in your opinion they are all hacks.

Lol...that makes no sense. Why would Butch care if Chaney is successful or not? But if you attack all negativity no matter how logical it is, UT will start winning, right?! Pumpers attack!!
Yeah, the only problem is that you have not presented a single logical fact that supports your narrative that Chaney is not a good hire. At, least in my opinion.

Lol...that makes no sense. Why would Butch care if Chaney is successful or not? But if you attack all negativity no matter how logical it is, UT will start winning, right?! Pumpers attack!!

It's not a very logical article. Nearly all the points contradict themselves.

Reactions: Brasszilla
IMO, the article points out some concerns that are legit. People quickly forget our offenses when he was here. Chaney is a "good", "safe" hire. In no way, shape or form is this a HR hire. To think that is absurd. When it's all said and done... it's Pruitts ass on the line, so he must feel comfortable with Jim.
Only if you buy into that BS. What is absurd is for posters like you to come on here and try to convince anyone your opinion is more valid than anyone else's without a single fact to back it up. Especially when you make a statement like "people quickly forget our offenses when he was here." Evidently, you forgot also or you simply don't know what you're talking about because he oversaw one of the most productive offenses in Tennessee history and put the QB at No 4 on the all-time passing list.

IMO, the article points out some concerns that are legit. People quickly forget our offenses when he was here. Chaney is a "good", "safe" hire. In no way, shape or form is this a HR hire. To think that is absurd. When it's all said and done... it's Pruitts ass on the line, so he must feel comfortable with Jim.

People forget our offenses when he was here? I didn't. I remember having an exciting offense while he was here. Yeah, the article points out how awful 2011 was, but before Hunter and Bray got hurt, that offense was doing really well. When Hunter was back in 2012, it was one of the best statistical offenses in school history.

One thing I remember about his offenses that I didn't like was that they struggled to run the ball. To be fair to Chaney, they didn't have an SEC caliber running back while Dooley was here. His offenses since haven't struggled to run the ball.

This is absolutely a home run hire, considering where this program is. Having someone like Chaney, who is great with quarterbacks and is a great offensive mind is exactly what we need to move in the right direction.

Reactions: WhitewaterVol
Who was the hire we should have made that didn’t have any ‘concerns’?

Sark - alcoholic, Falcons regressed under him
Freeze - prostitutes, might leave after 1 year
Briles - Baylor history, would his O work in SEC and be a good fit with Pruitt.
Yurcich - how much of his success is due to Gundy? Would big 12 offense work here?

Literally anyone we hired would have had concerns. Personally I think we did about as well as could be expected with this hire.

At the end of the article, there is another link (why Vols fans should be excited about the JC hire,) which was actually a pretty good read.

Reactions: LeBleu

VN Store

Back