5 reasons for concern with Chaney

Pruitt is happy. Fulmer is happy, and I am happy. Under the circumstances, I think we are very fortunate to have him as our OC. Georgia offered him a raise to stay, but it was interesting that they hired another guy to coach their QBs. I don't know much about their QB depth, but everyone has been raving about their QB play and Froam (sp) has playing well enough to start during his Freshman year and beat out Fields this past year. I think he will do just fine teaching our QBs if he is asked to coach them He did a nice job with the QBs when he was here before.

Click bait.
The only point I see with any substance is predictable. CJP can fix that in a heart beat. It is just tendency. Predictable in his case means in critical situations he tries to get the ball to his play makers, most OCs do.
David Cut would do the same, and he was criticized for it.
In critical scoring situations do you execute what you know how to do with your play makers, or go “surprise” with some less skilled players? If your jimmy is better than their joe, go with what you know. If not, surprise, surprise, surprise.
Chaney will be just fine. No HC has time to micromanage his coordinator to success. Ask Butch.

What a joke of an article. They make it sound like Cheney cost Georgia the games against Bama. They didn’t lose those games because they couldn’t score. They lost because the defense choked both times and they got conservative late when they were ahead. That’s on the head coach all the way at GA. Plus there was that fake punt or something...don’t think Chemey called that one
One big difference coming, Pruitt is fixing to have an elite defense very soon, that won’t bend. As for Georgia, their defense has been bending in bigger games.

I think Pruitt took his time figuring all this out because imho if this hire doesn’t work work for whatever reason in the next couple years could this be JP nail in the coffin or will they go find yet another OC?? I’m curious how this will go down...

Reason 5: Not a large body of work
Rebuttal: If he has been micromanaged, we may not have seen the height of his potential. Especially considering that coaches that micromanaged him weren't the best HCs.
Reason 4: The Dawgs didn't fight to keep him
Rebuttal: They did fight to keep him, but reportedly got outbid because matching our bid would have disrupted the money that they had to pay the rest of the staff.
Reason 3: Predictability of play calling
Rebuttal: He was micromanaged and forced to make play calls that fit within the system that he was told that he could run. Given free reign to run his system, his play calling would presumably be more diverse.
Reason 2: Unsuccessful previous tenure
Rebuttal 2: See rebuttals 5 and 3
Reason 1: Chaney has had bad offensive seasons
Rebuttal 1: In recent years with SEC teams he has had great stats and offensive production. Coached grow and get better, and he has done that. I don't see him regressing to bad seasons by virtue of his own poor decisions. If he doesn't blow the doors off of teams in 2019 it will be more based on limited time at the program and less than stellar players along the line.

I don't mean by any of this that he will have all of the answers, but IMO this is a weak article that aims to stir the pot by arguing against all those that say he is a great hire.

Reactions: rocytop2624
This article is pretty weak. Is this one of the "experts" that threw everybody's name out there but Jim Chaney and is now trying to justify why he didn't even think of Chaney?

Well, the Negative Nellies (you know who you are) are going to find something to complain about. Given that Pruitt is the HC and is comfortable with him, that's enough for me since his job is the one on the line. You can argue the BAD about any candidate (and the Nellies will) but in the end Pruitt is responsible.

That was stupid. Nobody fought to hang on to him? GA offering 1.5 mil seems like a bid to hold onto him.

Top 5 reasons why we wouldn't want Saban as our head coach:

1. He's mean to his assistant coaches
2. He's terrible with the media
3. He's too old
4. He's too stubborn
5. He lost a game to Clemson. The game has clearly passed him by.

Reactions: Vols410
This guy is full of zhit he said Chaney and Wilcox was together in 2012 and couldn't win . Garbage in 2012 everything on offense was finally fixed and firing on all cylinders it was the idea to bring in Sal Sunseri and try and switch to 3-4 that cost the vols that year after all 2012 was one of the best offensive years in vol history averaging 36 points a game . Also I think Tennessee offered Chaney 1.2 million and Georgia matched it and then we offered 1.5 so to sit there and say Georgia didn't want him is pure BS. To me it was Smart getting conservative at the end of the two Alabama games that got them beat I don't see Pruitt doing that to beat Bama you have to keep beating them every play like Clemson did.

I'll tell you why you shouldn't be concerned with Chaney.

A bunch of you wanted "anyone, just hire someone already". Another bunch of you " guaranteed " it would be someone we had never heard of. What about the bunch that said it would be another "underwhelming" hire like always. Oh, and that bunch that reminded us everyday it would be Friend.

This is a SOLID hire and compared to what a "bunch" of you expected and what usually happens with these searches, it was a Home Run.

Go cry in your coffee......

Last edited:
Yep most games were lost because of the D especially when Buddy Hackett was there.

Literally LOL. Never thot of that!!!

Man, was VolNation all abuzz when he got hired. The excitement level was @ equal as when Butch landed Shoop and Phil landed Clawsen. The Clawfense came off the rails before it left the station. Likewise with Hackett. That NCSU running back ran into the EZ from 3 or 4 yards out untouched and I thought "that don't look right". And boy did the train come off the rails immediately afterward. With Shoop, some wheels squealed louder and louder for 1,000 miles down the track and then that train came of the rails.

My point in all that rehash it that VolNation (me in 1st place) don't know JACK about coordinator hires. That's what was 100% entertainment since December with all the fake news, false rumors, and absolute opinions on candidates and the process from fans. While I can't stand Currie, I'll give him credit for one thing. This fanbase has some crazy in it.

This is definitely one of the dumber articles I've seen. And the biggest "real reason" for concern (recruiting) wasn't listed. The rest of it amounts to absurd speculation.

Here's a rundown for those who want to save a click (or 5):

(5) In spite of being successful at 5 different spots as OC, perhaps the only reason for Chaney's success was that he was micromanaged by others. [LOL! this one is too absurd to even address]

(4) Other schools didn't try hard enough to keep him when he got better job offers. [you could say the same thing about literally every human being who's gotten a better job offer]

(3) Didn't beat Jeremy Pruitt's defense in 2017 [OK ... fair ... but we also have Pruitt]

(2) The Dooley years were bad and it might've been Chaney's fault [or much more likely, Dooley's fault; we put up 44 points against Georgia in 2012 and still lost; Dooley hired Sunseri and Dooley's recruiting was absolute crap]

(1) Chaney has had bad offensive seasons [and almost all of the examples deal with a "year 1" situation where he did not inherit much talent; only the 1st year at Georgia seems like a real strike against him IMO; and even then he was using a true Freshman QB]

I won't say Chaney is a sure-fire success, but this is just bad writing.
This was not it at all. It goes into detail about how the majority of his OC stops, he had been micromanaged. Whether that be at Arkansas with the run game, which we all knew was not his style, to the micromanagement under Kirby. Kirby went out and got a CO-OC.

The point is, that it seems no one had truly given him a chance to do his thing. The question is why? Lack of trust? Not creative enough? Too predictable? Or too many micromanagers? Or fails to produce in 2nd half against better teams?

If he was as valuable as some of the pumpers here make him out to be, he would have been retained at other jobs. Period. He is knowledgeable, yes. But he is also poor at adjustments, predictable, and can almost be seen as a yes man kind of hire. I'll be fair and say he adapts to his HC desires.

Tiller at Purdue was spread, Bret had the power run, Kiffin was pro style, Dooley may have been 50/50. His time at GA was different every year and as stated, his best year was this year WITH the co-oc.

I'll tell you why you shouldn't be concerned with Chaney.

A bunch of you wanted "anyone, just hire someone already". Another bunch of you " guaranteed " it would be someone we had never heard of. What about the bunch that said it would be another "underwhelming" hire like always. Oh, and that bunch that reminded us everyday it would be Friend.

This is a SOLID hire and compared to what a "bunch" of you expected and what usually happens with theses searches, it was a Home Run.

Go cry in your coffee......

This should be stickied! And before anyone can post again, they should have to come eat crow first, or deny that they ever posted it. Man, you couldn't read a thread coherently for a while there because of those exact posts flooding every 3rd entry.

C'mon boys. Time to step up and dine ... :-D
eating-crow.jpg

Reactions: coachballcoach
What a joke of an article. They make it sound like Cheney cost Georgia the games against Bama. They didn’t lose those games because they couldn’t score. They lost because the defense choked both times and they got conservative late when they were ahead. That’s on the head coach all the way at GA. Plus there was that fake punt or something...don’t think Chemey called that one

"That Fake Punt was all on bad execution".

- Coach K.P. Smart

Top 5 reasons why we wouldn't want Saban as our head coach:

1. He's mean to his assistant coaches
2. He's terrible with the media
3. He's too old
4. He's too stubborn
5. He lost a game to Clemson. The game has clearly passed him by.
If for some reason Bama stumbles to 9-3 there’s something major wrong. They start losing more then a game a year the fans will start grumbling its time to make a change...

Some writer has a lot of time on his hand....Money Changes everything.....he is a good player coach that gets the most out his players....Bray to Frohm. Even Peterman.
GA choose not to keep him but at one point they were willing to spend the money to extend his contract for 3 years...they did not. Look where it got them....

Actually we are not sure UGA did not try to match the money. All we know is that he chose UT over UGA. Rumor is that he was not happy with the CO/OC having input on the gameplan. After seeing UGA in talks with Gran makes me think that they were not exactly ready to lose Chaney. Gran is not exactly an innovator at OC for KY. I mean I get it you are going to go with your hot hand and their running game was excellent for the most part. Although looking at UGA's stats were fairly similar run dominate offense. That is the issue almost every UGA fan had. They were not passing enough to their stellar skill players. Getting Gran was not going to change your run dominate offense though. Just find it funny.

As far as finding any negatives on this hire. I cannot think of a single negative outside of he is not a recruiter. I think the positives outweigh that by far. Helton while I think is a good guy and possibly could be a decent OC. He was in way over his head at UT with the limited talent. He was not able to game plan the way he wanted. He never came up with a scheme that truly worked either. Great OC's are able to find the flaws and still adjust the play calls to their benefit. I think that was the biggest issue Pruitt had with Helton.

So I'm not football expert.. As a matter of fact I am not a expert at anything.. But like everyone.. I have thoughts and opinions.. So here is mine on Chaney, Pruitt, previous coaching and UT football..

-Previous coaching recruited much differently than what Pruitt wants for UT
-The culture at UT had apparently regressed related to the discipline of football, example.. Strength and conditioning along with techniques / fundamentals.
-UT football now needs hard coaching and stability, with that being said, players that want to be in the program need to relearn what was taught by the previous staff, players that are non receptive need to be weeded out... And new players need to be brought in to fit Pruitts vision.
-UT is basically needing a total rebuild. UT isn't like Georgia for example that had a foundation when Richt left and Smart came in.. UT with Pruitt is breaking ground again IMO.. And I say this based on the history of the Oline.
-Chaney is a excellent decision IMO and it doesn't have as much to do with the debated play calling as it does with player development, teaching, grooming the QBs.. So much more dynamics than calling plays.
-Pruitt is recruiting based on his vision, he needs coach's that can see what he is wanting to put on a canvas and paint it.. Not the other way around, this is why I believe Chaney is a good fit.
-I like everyone want to win now.. But when I study the history of the program, UT needs a large overhaul and I have to temper my expectations unfortunately.. So I look at other teams that have had stability at their programs then I look to the future.. Look at Clemson and Kentucky for example. I wish we would have had this under Jones, but I digress..

To some my opinion up.. I am looking way further than play calling.. To many things that need to be fixed before we can call plays.. The program needs money in the bank before we start spending..

Jmo as a UT fan and proud father of a UT student.. ☺

Reactions: vols4evah

VN Store

Back