5-7 Format Confirmed for 12-team College Football Playoffs

Seed 5 or 6-12 unlikely to ever have a shot, but I could see them playing spoiler for a team or two each year.
I think Georgia would have faired pretty well this year. but I do think they should have stopped at 8. and I agree whoever gets left out is going to complain.

especially with 5 conference champs getting in, you probably won't have 5 conference champs in the Top 12 teams. so you could pretty easily have the 12 or even 11th ranked teams left out to make sure a lower ranked champion was in.

also still think they should do the playoffs but with the BCS rankings. at least then its consistent and you won't get the politics at the end of the year.

How is that any different from the FBS, starting out the same names will be winning or in Championship game .

Only thing I don't like about FCS format is the higher seeds get home field.
Should be neutral sights after 1st round.
I disagree. I think it keeps the regular season even more relevant . I think it’s crazy that the quarterfinals of the upcoming 12 team CFP has neutral site games for the final 3 rounds. That’s asking way too much of fans. And I also feel it doesn’t reward the 1-4 seeds w/ a home game.

Reactions: hog88
12 was a stupid idea for multiple reasons. 8 would have been much simpler. At most 3 games. Now if you don't get a bye you've
got to win 4--good luck with that--which adds up to a 16-game schedule. Nobody knows when to say 'enough' when it comes to sports
and things that make money. Wait--here comes Spiderman 9!

I posted too soon! The CFB Playoff numbskulls have already had discussions about 14 teams! Just stop wasting time and go to 64 teams now. Play an 8 game regular season and then start the 4 month playoff process. Season starts in late August, then ends in May! Whoo! Whoo! White already noodling 7-game playoff ticket packages.

My guess is that it'll be 16 by the time they make the final decision, increasing to 24 the next time changes are made. Just absurd.

I always felt that 6 was the perfect number, with two byes, but 8 is probably the sweet spot - no byes, three games max, and the first round at university sites. But that horse left the barn and is loooooooong gone.

Reactions: VolNExile
also still think they should do the playoffs but with the BCS rankings. at least then its consistent and you won't get the politics at the end of the year.

I've been saying the same all along - eliminate the damn "committee", use a computer program, and you eliminate the politics and accusations of bias. But the truth of the matter is that the powers that be love controversy, the more the better. It keeps CFB in the news daily, and creates more attention and publicity.

It will be 5 conference champions (the 4 power conference champions plus the highest ranked Group of 5 conference champion).

Then the 7 at large spots for the highest ranked remaining teams.
Essentially a 4-8 format, the G5 plays in the first round.

Reactions: knoxvol52
How is that any different from the FBS, starting out the same names will be winning or in Championship game .

Only thing I don't like about FCS format is the higher seeds get home field.
Should be neutral sights after 1st round.

It's not, I was just pointing out that expanding the playoffs isn't going to result in more teams winning the championship.

I agree with that point, same names as usual.

In my opinion I would rather go to the Sugar/Orange/Rose bowl if we were a 8-9 seed and finish the season with a huge W instead of a probable loss in the 2nd or 3rd round.

It's not, I was just pointing out that expanding the playoffs isn't going to result in more teams winning the championship.
I think eventually it could, but for the immediate term I agree. They need to cap this at 12, bc beyond that you’re reducing the importance of the greatest regular season in any sport .

Reactions: hog88

However, in the near future, the 12-team field could expand even more. There's been a lot of discussions about what the future of the sport could look like, especially in postseason play. ESPN senior college football writer Pete Thamel confirmed that there have been internal discussions about adding two more teams to the field. While that may seem unrealistic now, we were saying that about the 12-team playoff a few years ago, and we are now entering a new era of college football.

However, in the near future, the 12-team field could expand even more. There's been a lot of discussions about what the future of the sport could look like, especially in postseason play. ESPN senior college football writer Pete Thamel confirmed that there have been internal discussions about adding two more teams to the field. While that may seem unrealistic now, we were saying that about the 12-team playoff a few years ago, and we are now entering a new era of college football.
not even sure how 2 more teams would fit in.

Who here if asked five years ago which conference folds first between the Big 12 and PAC 16 would have chosen the Big 12 as the one who last?

Sure as hell not me.

Who here if asked five years ago which conference folds first between the Big 12 and PAC 16 would have chosen the Big 12 as the one who last?

Sure as hell not me.
I think being the first one to be really challenged is what kept them alive. they were able to grab up the next best, who are middling, but decent. when it came time for the PAC there weren't many good replacement options left.

also a bit different for the Big 12 to lose its top 2, vs the PACs top 4.

also the PACs last commissioner seemed to be incredibly bad at his job.

VN Store

Back