5-7 Format Confirmed for 12-team College Football Playoffs

Im saying a G5 school shouldn’t be eligible for the CFP unless they have a power 4 school on the schedule.

I think they should have to be a top 15-20 team as well.
I agree with Greg Sanky. It should be the 12 best teams! No matter if a team is a conference champion, power 4, power 5, non-power 5. If they are not ranked 1-12 they don’t deserve to get in. Isn’t the goal with all of this is to have the 12 best teams play in a playoff?

Individuals wanted an expanded playoff.
Well they expanded, now people bitching because a Group of 5 team will be included lol.
Can't make anyone in this world.
Because the G5 team will take a spot of a team that has played a much tougher schedule. I'm not saying a G5 team should not be allowed, I am saying they shouldn't get an automatic spot. I would have had no problem with the Cincinnati teams of a few years ago getting a spot. I would have a problem with a Liberty last year getting a spot with a SOS ranked 132 of 133.

Because the G5 team will take a spot of a team that has played a much tougher schedule. I'm not saying a G5 team should not be allowed, I am saying they shouldn't get an automatic spot. I would have had no problem with the Cincinnati teams of a few years ago getting a spot. I would have a problem with a Liberty last year getting a spot with a SOS ranked 132 of 133.
Liberty yes, but a Tulane, Fresno State and Boise State would give the big bad power 4 conference team a run for their money.

Last edited:
I agree with Greg Sanky. It should be the 12 best teams! No matter if a team is a conference champion, power 4, power 5, non-power 5. If they are not ranked 1-12 they don’t deserve to get in. Isn’t the goal with all of this is to have the 12 best teams play in a playoff?
I’m with you, but unfortunately Sankey and others are having to compromise.

The playoff will expand to 16 teams in a few years but 8 really is the perfect number. I think the SEC gets three teams in this season, Georgia , Texas and Mizzou.

They expanded it too far. 8 would have been a good number.
If it was only 8, you would only get 2 SEC teams in for political reasons. At 12 you will get 3 possibly 4.

At 8, Pat Forde and other yankee writers would have always voted SEC teams like UT and some others out of the Top 8, to make sure at least 2 and maybe 3 Big10 teams get in.

12 is the minimum number to weed some of the politics out.

If it was only 8, you would only get 2 SEC teams in for political reasons. At 12 you will get 3 possibly 4.

At 8, Pat Forde and other yankee writers would have always voted SEC teams like UT and some others out of the Top 8, to make sure at least 2 and maybe 3 Big10 teams get in.

12 is the minimum number to weed some of the politics out.

It doesn't matter, in most years there are only 2 SEC with an actual shot at winning the NC.

They're already working to expand it to 14 teams beginning in 2026. They won't be happy until they've completely destroyed college football.

Reactions: sami
They're already working to expand it to 14 teams beginning in 2026. They won't be happy until they've completely destroyed college football.

And Sankey and Pettiti are pushing for multiple automatic bids for 'certain' conferences. So the SEC and Big 10 get two auto bids while the other conferences get one? That ought to go over well.

You nailed it, though. It's the ruination of everything that made college football the greatest sport, and they won't quit until it's essentially the NFL Jr.

Totally agree that there should be no automatic bids, but if you're going to reward conference champs with auto bids, just don't make them automatically top 4 with a bye. Give the five auto bids, but then seed the teams from 1-12 without the conference title being a factor where they are seeded. This prevents the inevitable 3-loss conference champ getting a bye.

They expanded it too far. 8 would have been a good number.

12 was a stupid idea for multiple reasons. 8 would have been much simpler. At most 3 games. Now if you don't get a bye you've
got to win 4--good luck with that--which adds up to a 16-game schedule. Nobody knows when to say 'enough' when it comes to sports
and things that make money. Wait--here comes Spiderman 9!

I posted too soon! The CFB Playoff numbskulls have already had discussions about 14 teams! Just stop wasting time and go to 64 teams now. Play an 8 game regular season and then start the 4 month playoff process. Season starts in late August, then ends in May! Whoo! Whoo! White already noodling 7-game playoff ticket packages.

Last edited:
Reactions: sami
12 was a stupid idea for multiple reasons. 8 would have been much simpler. At most 3 games. Now if you don't get a bye you've
got to win 4--good luck with that--which adds up to a 16-game schedule. Nobody knows when to say 'enough' when it comes to sports
and things that make money. Wait--here comes Spiderman 9!

I posted too soon! The CFB Playoff numbskulls have already had discussions about 14 teams! Just stop wasting time and go to 64 teams now. Play an 8 game regular season and then start the 4 month playoff process. Season starts in late August, then ends in May! Whoo! Whoo! White already noodling 7-game playoff ticket packages.
FCS makes a large playoff field work.

Seed 5 or 6-12 unlikely to ever have a shot, but I could see them playing spoiler for a team or two each year.

The same 2-3 teams win it every year.
How is that any different from the FBS, starting out the same names will be winning or in Championship game .

Only thing I don't like about FCS format is the higher seeds get home field.
Should be neutral sights after 1st round.

VN Store

Back