4th n Short and No Under Center?

We have a huge QB (that has trouble making decisions) running out of shotgun on 4th and short. Why?
Because Tennessee has a QB with all the physical tools of a good QB but doesn’t have the instinct or mental presence of one.. and that’s just the truth. He drives me nuts when he doesn’t understand where the first down line is or when he throws horizontal when Tennessee needs vertical… like down the field Touchdowns.. it’s frustrating but I have hope with CJH unlike previous coaching staffs.

Because Tennessee has a QB with all the physical tools of a good QB but doesn’t have the instinct or mental presence of one.. and that’s just the truth. He drives me nuts when he doesn’t understand where the first down line is or when he throws horizontal when Tennessee needs vertical… like down the field Touchdowns.. it’s frustrating but I have hope with CJH unlike previous coaching staffs.

He isn’t very intelligent on the field and it isn’t going to change. It’s his 5th year

When you have a 6’ 4” 240 pound QB on a 4th down and less than one yard even a five year old knows to line him up under center and do a QB sneak. If nothing else you might get the DL to jump.
These spread guys blow my mind how stubborn they are about staying in the shotgun. Only thing worse than shotgun on 4th and 1 is shotgun for the Victory Formation. It’s just a useless risk.

These spread guys blow my mind how stubborn they are about staying in the shotgun. Only thing worse than shotgun on 4th and 1 is shotgun for the Victory Formation. It’s just a useless risk.

As a guy who primarily coached shotgun I see it exactly the opposite. I see the risk being a fumbled snap at the line of scrimmage where the other team is closer to the football because we tried doing something we aren’t used to.

Rather than a shotgun snap which if missed we are more likely to recover and it’s something we do more often

As a guy who primarily coached shotgun I see it exactly the opposite. I see the risk being a fumbled snap at the line of scrimmage where the other team is closer to the football because we tried doing something we aren’t used to.

Rather than a shotgun snap which if missed we are more likely to recover and it’s something we do more often
I can see that argument if you truly just never go under center… but I’ll never get used to the teams that clock it from the shotgun. Just looks weird.

Reactions: Vol8188
We have a huge QB (that has trouble making decisions) running out of shotgun on 4th and short. Why?
And then we handed off to our smallest RB to smash it up the middle. Why Sampson instead of Milton in that situation??

I love our Coaches. But that sh@t makes no sense at all. We should have been punting on the second one anyway.

I’d say….in practice, get used to it.

I’d say….in practice, get used to it.

Practice time in college is very limited. Every second you spend snapping under center is one less you spend snapping in the shotgun. So if the other 99% of your snaps in the gun, why not do the thing you have the most practice at?

Practice time in college is very limited. Every second you spend snapping under center is one less you spend snapping in the shotgun. So if the other 99% of your snaps in the gun, why not do the thing you have the most practice at?

Nothing stopping Milton and Mays from doing some work after practice.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Terrible ref calls or no calls in the second half but our coaching in the second half was abysmal. Heupel went pure vanilla for some reason. And going for it at midfield was asinine.

Nothing stopping Milton and Mays from doing some work after practice.

It’s still going to be something you do less than you do shotgun snaps. Which increases the odds of a bad snap. I’m more open to under center though in a 4th and really short scenario than I am when kneeling.

4th and short a fumble doesn’t matter as much because the other team will get the ball in the same area as if they stopped you.

Kneeling though I 100% oppose it. You’re doing something you do less frequent and increasing the odds the other team gets the ball because the bad snap occurs closer to the defense

It reminds me of the Butch days of finesse instead of power up front where they really didn't have enough confidence in the OLine to be able to get a foot, muchless a yard or so.

It’s still going to be something you do less than you do shotgun snaps. Which increases the odds of a bad snap. I’m more open to under center though in a 4th and really short scenario than I am when kneeling.

4th and short a fumble doesn’t matter as much because the other team will get the ball in the same area as if they stopped you.

Kneeling though I 100% oppose it. You’re doing something you do less frequent and increasing the odds the other team gets the ball because the bad snap occurs closer to the defense
Every team does something more often than something else. No team does everything exactly 50% of the time, whether it is handing off or tossing, passing or running. If a team wants to do something in certain situations, they will make the time to practice it.

Reactions: Doberman
Put Milton under center, with 2 of the biggest lineman back of him. Hand ball off to Elijah Simmons up the middle with the 2 lineman behind him to push!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: bolvols
He isn’t very intelligent on the field and it isn’t going to change. It’s his 5th year
and he's not a tough guy. They have to goad him into using his size wheen he does run it. If you put the ball in his hands in a short yardage situation against a good DL. run him to the edges to take on DBs.

Would like for a journalist that covers the Vols to ask this very question if they had balls to. I did not see this thread and posted this very same thing in another thread.

VN Store

Back