457 vs 231

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Vols offense per game 457 Georgia defense allows only 231 per game. Based on last four games we played against Georgia we need 42 points and we win. The last four games we played Georgia scored total 166 we scored 47. We got a chance but defense has to show up big time. I think we can score enough points to win.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I think we score enough to make them sweat but not enough to win. The talent gap is just too large and our D has been way to porous lately.

I think we need to bring out all the blitz packages today for pressure. I don't think Georgia has game changers at receiver but they do have solid route runners that can beat you if you give them time in the pocket. A strength of Stetson Bennett.

Reactions: UTblood4life
I think we need to bring out all the blitz packages today for pressure. I don't think Georgia has game changers at receiver but they do have solid route runners that can beat you if you give them time in the pocket. A strength of Stetson Bennett.
Exactly blitz 90%, offense u open up all plays

If the o-line doesn't step up, then the offense won't do anything against UGA. It would be nice to see the defense step-up and have a great game, but we saw that last season against UGA where the defense played relatively well but the offense got overwhelmed in the second half and there was no chance to win. I think o-line play is the most important factor in the game today...especially with offense being a huge selling point for Heupel. Having a solid performance on offense against that defense would just prove the effectiveness of Heupel's system and be validating on a national stage. If the offense struggles, then the narrative from some will be that the system doesn't work against great defenses.

And I do agree about the defensive strategy. I would sell out to stop the run and pressure the QB to beat us over the top. Don't let them chew up clock and make them have to throw perfect passes under pressure to have success. Boom or bust.

Good point OP. If you note of late, our PlaysPG has dropped due to playing very good defenses. Key in this game is if we get 400 yards offense today AND run 70+ plays on offense, we win (or play them right till the end). We have to string some plays together for a drive here and there. At least move it enough to flip the field. Critical of course.
Also noted today what a throw-back this years Georgia team is....they look more like a Saban pre-offensive minded Alabama team back ten years ago. Lets see if Bennett can perform under pressure in a close game. May not be today, but in SEC title game perhaps.

So let’s say that Georgia has a good defense. What do they expect from their defense vs our offense? Hold us under 17 and they expect to win? I think our offense can give up 34 and us still have a fair shot with our offense. We are capable of executing our pitch and catch offense. I’ve seen some precise execution from our offense, sure it was against lesser defenses, but still flawless at times. If Georgia plays to their film, we eat their lunch. It will be about adjustments.

If the o-line doesn't step up, then the offense won't do anything against UGA. It would be nice to see the defense step-up and have a great game, but we saw that last season against UGA where the defense played relatively well but the offense got overwhelmed in the second half and there was no chance to win. I think o-line play is the most important factor in the game today...especially with offense being a huge selling point for Heupel. Having a solid performance on offense against that defense would just prove the effectiveness of Heupel's system and be validating on a national stage. If the offense struggles, then the narrative from some will be that the system doesn't work against great defenses.

And I do agree about the defensive strategy. I would sell out to stop the run and pressure the QB to beat us over the top. Don't let them chew up clock and make them have to throw perfect passes under pressure to have success. Boom or bust.

I've watched a few highlights and it looks like Georgia receivers push off. They don't get a lot of separation to pushing off gives them that separation. If I'm Heupel then I am hitting this hard going into the game with the ref's. If I'm UGA, then I look at what UK did on the ground last week and think I can do it better.

Yeah a poor offensive performance may be misread. This offense is better with a defense like this with a big, strong, dynamic RB in the backfield and our top guy is injured. I don't like the match up with Cooper Mays against their NT. Let's hope Cooper's technician ability is on display like a young Mark Stepnoski.

So let’s say that Georgia has a good defense. What do they expect from their defense vs our offense? Hold us under 17 and they expect to win? I think our offense can give up 34 and us still have a fair shot with our offense. We are capable of executing our pitch and catch offense. I’ve seen some precise execution from our offense, sure it was against lesser defenses, but still flawless at times. If Georgia plays to their film, we eat their lunch. It will be about adjustments.
I don't see how you've got that from watching their defense. Their defense isn't just good...it's elite. Their front seven can physically whip most up front. Our o-line hasn't been a very physical one against the better defenses. If we're just going off the film, then our offense won't be successful running the ball and Hooker will have little time to throw. Our o-line is facing a talent and depth disadvantage. They're going to have to play their best game and we're going to have to hope that the tempo causes that defense some assignment issues.

TN's QB hasn't seen anything like he's going to see this afternoon. The only way TN sees 34 points is if they run 3 kickoffs back for scores.

I don't see how you've got that from watching their defense. Their defense isn't just good...it's elite. Their front seven can physically whip most up front. Our o-line hasn't been a very physical one against the better defenses. If we're just going off the film, then our offense won't be successful running the ball and Hooker will have little time to throw. Our o-line is facing a talent and depth disadvantage. They're going to have to play their best game and we're going to have to hope that the tempo causes that defense some assignment issues.
What do you expect from their defense? Obviously holding us to less than 17. There is plenty to do against their front to gain an edge. Hooker has the talent to make them pay throwing or running. Move the pocket, well timed draws and screens will help to. Run when they expect pass, pass when they expect run. If Georgia plays to their film we pick them apart. I expect them to make adjustments on the fly and for JH and staff to counter punch. I don’t expect us to play to our tape and allow them to line up with confidence. Spread them out and find the crease on the run and pitch and catch with our passing game. I’m not claiming any of it will be easy or simple. I just don’t expect JH will allow them to pin their ears back and play their game.

TN's QB hasn't seen anything like he's going to see this afternoon. The only way TN sees 34 points is if they run 3 kickoffs back for scores.
I expect Hooker knows he has to make a hot read. I expect Georgia to mix it up on the backend and turn up the heat with their Dline.

Being on the same page with the hot reads will be key. There will be windows of opportunity and expect our guys to exploit them.

How many points do you expect from your offense?

I expect Hooker knows he has to make a hot read. I expect Georgia to mix it up on the backend and turn up the heat with their Dline.

Being on the same page with the hot reads will be key. There will be windows of opportunity and expect our guys to exploit them.

How many points do you expect from your offense?
I think when you look at the points TN has given up this year, you'd agree defense isn't a strength. I expect the Dawgs to get 38 - 44 points. As to your point about TN's likley offensive strategy, I agree. The Vols won't get any push up front, can't outrun UGA to the edges, and your QB won't have time to let things develop downfield. Quick routes are what is left. You and I know it. So does UGA.

What do you expect from their defense? Obviously holding us to less than 17. There is plenty to do against their front to gain an edge. Hooker has the talent to make them pay throwing or running. Move the pocket, well timed draws and screens will help to. Run when they expect pass, pass when they expect run. If Georgia plays to their film we pick them apart. I expect them to make adjustments on the fly and for JH and staff to counter punch. I don’t expect us to play to our tape and allow them to line up with confidence. Spread them out and find the crease on the run and pitch and catch with our passing game. I’m not claiming any of it will be easy or simple. I just don’t expect JH will allow them to pin their ears back and play their game.
My expectations vary depending on how the o-line plays...simple as that. If the o-line holds up, then there's a chance to score 30+. If the o-line struggles, then we'll need some luck to get 10-14.

How many points did we score against FLA and Bama? So why would anyone think we will score 28, 31, 35 vs UGAs defense? Couple of problems for us…we don’t have the size (RBs) or ability to attack the interior of GAs defensive line if we couldn’t do it against Bama. They stuffed us pretty much all night on the run…we ran for 64 total yards. Our O line just isn’t that good overall. They’re okay, but not great (and hurt all season), and GA is going to pressure Hooker all day with stunts and blitz packages because they’ve seen it work vs Bama and others. They will make him have to beat us with the pass, but the pressure will be coming at him really fast.

I expect to see what we’ve seen against better competition all season. Our already thin defense will wear down quickly IF we can’t sustain drives, especially if we see Heupel try and run between the tackles against this team. Three and outs all day won’t get it. Leave this defense on the field like we did against Bama and the points will pile up on them in the 4th. Bama and UGA are just way better than any of the other teams we’ve played. Going to have to switch the offense up a little. Dink and dunk, take what’s there, loosen their D up a little to take some shots downfield and establish a little better run game than we did against Bama. Slants, wheel routes, middle screens. That will help us keep drives alive and maintain a drive burning the clock. We will still play fast, but playing fast does us no good if we’re running into a brick wall three times in a row and only taking big shots downfield on a prayer. I’m trusting Heupel to find a little soft spot and keep exploiting it. Then, maybe, we could be there in the 4th qtr.

I think when you look at the points TN has given up this year, you'd agree defense isn't a strength. I expect the Dawgs to get 38 - 44 points. As to your point about TN's likley offensive strategy, I agree. The Vols won't get any push up front, can't outrun UGA to the edges, and your QB won't have time to let things develop downfield. Quick routes are what is left. You and I know it. So does UGA.
The back end of your defense will play a larger part in the out come of the game than your Dline. I look forward watching the competition.

Reactions: SLODAWG
My expectations vary depending on how the o-line plays...simple as that. If the o-line holds up, then there's a chance to score 30+. If the o-line struggles, then we'll need some luck to get 10-14.

What our receivers do with their DBs might be the luck we need. I expect us to pressure them by Hooker and our WRs playing well. There will be room for a drop here or there, even some poor throws and and bad decisions with the ball, but our WRs have the talent to go toe to toe with their DBs and expect that to be the equalizer.

It may be determined by who flops 1st.

Vols offense per game 457 Georgia defense allows only 231 per game. Based on last four games we played against Georgia we need 42 points and we win. The last four games we played Georgia scored total 166 we scored 47. We got a chance but defense has to show up big time. I think we can score enough points to win.
This seems like it could be the opening monologue to the sequel to moneyball.

Pretty good call on 42

Reactions: OneVolNation

VN Store

Back