#4 on rivals

wherever Rodney Garner goes, top ten recruiting classes are sure to follow (thus UGA's success), but I need to point something out...when you are unable to develop talent beyond where they are the first time they step foot on campus, you cannot afford to skip a year in recruiting

I think the non-development problems have been addressed, at least to some extent. Sanders gone, Cut in. All the sudden Ainge certainly developed nicely. I expect the same out of Crompton. Washington gone, Trooper moves over. All the sudden Meachem, Swain, and Smith develop. The new RB coach is still a wait and see. Defensively we have always developed talent. LB and DL develop at UT if they have talent. Secondary is hit and miss sometimes with development. But, the last two years it seems like our DB's with talent have developed very nicely (i.e. Hefney and Wade.). And, guys like Gaines and Kemp developed well over the course of the year. I think our talent will be developed with the current staff. The only question marks that might still remain are RB's and OL. We have a lot of talent at those positions and so how well those positions perform next season will go a long ways towards figuring out if those position coaches are developing talent successfully.

If we can get someone to coach special teams, I will be happy.
I did hear an interesting quote from Jesse Mahalona (sp) when he was in training camp with the Titans. I am paraphrasing but he said something to the effect of that he learned more in terms of technique and positioning in the first 2 weeks of training camp than he did the whole time at UT. That is SCARY.

I did hear an interesting quote from Jesse Mahalona (sp) when he was in training camp with the Titans. I am paraphrasing but he said something to the effect of that he learned more in terms of technique and positioning in the first 2 weeks of training camp than he did the whole time at UT. That is SCARY.

Defensive Line and linebacker are two areas where I do not feel UT has problems developing players. Those positions have practically been NFL assembly lines.

I learned more in my first week on the job than I learned in school, too.

Its only natural, it is the next level.

Little bit different situation kcvols1. I agree kptvol about the linebackers and I also think we have put out top talent on the Dline, but that statement was a shocker to me.

college teams are limited in the number of coaches they are allowed to have, so they won't ever bring in a guy who coaches just special teams. this all why, at Tennessee, all of the coaches do it, and at VaTech for example, Beamer is the coach.

Trust me, we will have some roadgraters on the line next year. This year was built more around pass blocking, but next year will be balanced.

of course LSU jumped up (another SEC team), I just wish somebody could explain to me how they keep getting bluechip Qb talent, they've got 3 guys right now that could have gone anywhere in the nation and have another commit for this class.

They haven't changed Kenny O'Neal to a 5* on our commit list. I'm not sure if it will boost us back above LSU but it'll be close.

I did not know O'Neal was moving up to 5-star. When did that happen? And, I remember Cody Pope being a 3-star last year. Am I imagining that? Cody Pope is the best 2-star ever if they keep him there. Southern Cal tried to steal him from us right around Signing Day and he has put in a lot of work and gotten stronger and gained weight working with a former NFL lineman over the fall.

I wish the o=line could develop the ability to run block

I have come to believe that to a significant degree the ineffectiveness in the running game stemmed from two other things instead of OL inability.

First, UT never got decent FB play. They finally gave up on it. IMO, they should ask Foster to gain weight and become a FB. If he doesn't then I think his PT will be progressively less.

Second, UT didn't have a back with all three ingredients: health, talent, and experience. Hardesty and Coker are elite level talents... but both had health and experience issues. Foster proved he could be a plodder but he also got hurt and isn't really an SEC level tailback talent wise.

Both Coker and Hardesty showed flashes as the season went on. They began to see the field and cuts. Hardesty stopped dancing in the backfield quite so much and showed more confidence in his knee.

I think those guys can be studs. If the Vols can add a really good back this year then they should be back to being a rushing threat over the next 3 years.

UT also played and developed several young linemen. There shouldn't be a drop off at all from Ligon and a manageable one behind Sears.

I hope you're right, but there just werent any holes alot of times

VN Store

Back