Not much of a surprise. When you watch Hyatt run a 4.41, you notice how smooth he looks and that he can hold that speed for a while. That is one of his talents; he isn't just strong. He is fast. The LBc can be super strong and accel but not able to maintain. That is why Hyatt runs away from people. He is a very naturally relaxed runner who can hold his speed for a long time. It is what made him a really good 200m runner in HS. Some of those guys run the 40 and they look so stiff, but JH ain't one of them.

I also thought his technique looked bad at the initial setup position. When teaching people how to run the 40, you want a flat back, shins parallel, and the spine to be aligned. None of that happened. It caused him to lose a lot of time on his first three steps. If you watch him run in super slow mode, you will see that the first thing he does is lower his left shin angle so that he can project. That is the difference between 4.41 and 4.35. But, he is really fluid and fast, and none of the technique of running a 40 really matters in a game. That is one of the reasons why it is a useless drill. With all of the speed tracking done now, I would be more interested in his top speed and a 10yd from a wr standing start. All of that is on tape and is what really matters.

I'm a bit surprised. I thought he'd run 4.35 (+ -) But one thing is for sure, his speed translates to on the field. He looked okay in the drills, had a couple of bad drops. I don't think he's an obvious 1st round pick, I think he'll go mid to late 2nd round, my .02

The Lions aren't exactly the gold standard of quality evaluation.
He is changing their mentality. Literally after their graveyard of coaches from Ford family mismanaging the team Campbell gets it. Says some weird stuff some times but headed in a new direction.

Hyatt isn't the quickest off the line. Instead his strength is the pull away speed with his long stride. That's why all the corners are right on him until he starts to pull away deep. I'd rather see Hyatt run the 100m

Reactions: ERvolsfan
He is changing their mentality. Literally after their graveyard of coaches from Ford family mismanaging the team Campbell gets it. Says some weird stuff some times but headed in a new direction.
I'd love to see it. When pro teams have been bad that long it's kind of hard not to root for them to break through. I felt the same with the Cubs and the Royals in baseball. The Lions uniforms are also classic.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
Hyatt isn't the quickest off the line. Instead his strength is the pull away speed with his long stride. That's why all the corners are right on him until he starts to pull away deep. I'd rather see Hyatt run the 100m
Heupel got him in the clear alot too, confusing defenses and causing busts.

FqOk30lWAAAj9rY
I’m in my pajamas and I give me a solid C+ right now.

I could probably run a 7.5 in the 40 … after a 💩.

VN Store

Back