3D Printing

utvolpj

Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Anyone have a machine at home? I had been looking at them for a while and bought one to learn on. One I picked up is an Ender 3 v2 because it seemed very common and there was a ton of info already out there. Have a long list of prints to try but finished my first 2 last night. Still have some tweaks to make but am glad I got it running

20210421_203915.jpg

Best get the software to print firearms before they come for that as well.

Can high capacity magazines be 3D printed or does having that software put your freedom at risk? I’m a huge 2A supporter, but certainly am not an expert.

If you don't mind me asking how much do the materials run and how much do you go through on average?

If you don't mind me asking how much do the materials run and how much do you go through on average?
Yoda is 6" tall and the base is 4". A 1kg roll is about $18-22. This whole model, which is pretty dense and needed a lot of support, used about 300g total.

Most of mine have been really small and don't use this much. The ones in my other pics are maybe 50¢ of material.

Reactions: VolNExile and hog88
Besides the "look what this thing can do" factor, are there any actual practical applications to having one of these things or is it still pretty much a novelty?

Yoda is 6" tall and the base is 4". A 1kg roll is about $18-22. This whole model, which is pretty dense and needed a lot of support, used about 300g total.

Most of mine have been really small and don't use this much. The ones in my other pics are maybe 50¢ of material.

Bringing plastic China manufacturing to your basement 😂

I’ve wanted one for awhile. My kids would break me printing little do dads all day.

Besides the "look what this thing can do" factor, are there any actual practical applications to having one of these things or is it still pretty much a novelty?
Practical in a home setting or in anything? At home we've mainly been playing with toys but my 9yo is learning how to design and build 3d projects for printing. Lots of people use it for spare parts to things around the house. Every day I check out the newest models and there's always a part for vacuum/phone dash mount/spacer for project/etc which shows they're more than just playing. If I can print a replacement part for pennies while I sleep it seems like that is a positive

On a larger scale these have ridiculous applications from building rockets, building houses or printing spare parts on the space station to fix things. I think it will be a huge part of future life and why I want my kids to know how it works at a young age

Practical in a home setting or in anything? At home we've mainly been playing with toys but my 9yo is learning how to design and build 3d projects for printing. Lots of people use it for spare parts to things around the house. Every day I check out the newest models and there's always a part for vacuum/phone dash mount/spacer for project/etc which shows they're more than just playing. If I can print a replacement part for pennies while I sleep it seems like that is a positive

On a larger scale these have ridiculous applications from building rockets, building houses or printing spare parts on the space station to fix things. I think it will be a huge part of future life and why I want my kids to know how it works at a young age

I was speaking mostly about home use. I'm absolutely aware of the professional applications this technology has. One big one you left out is the medical field. HUGE implications there, especially as the technology progresses. Who knows? Maybe one day they'll be 3D printing hearts for transplants with these things.

Reactions: VolNExile
Anyone have a machine at home? I had been looking at them for a while and bought one to learn on. One I picked up is an Ender 3 v2 because it seemed very common and there was a ton of info already out there. Have a long list of prints to try but finished my first 2 last night. Still have some tweaks to make but am glad I got it running

View attachment 363766
I have one in my shop at school. You may already know this but there are thousands of files you can download on a website called thingaverse. It’s pretty awesome.

I have one in my shop at school. You may already know this but there are thousands of files you can download on a website called thingaverse. It’s pretty awesome.
Oh yeah I use thingiverse all the time. My kids browse on there to find my next project too

I was speaking mostly about home use. I'm absolutely aware of the professional applications this technology has. One big one you left out is the medical field. HUGE implications there, especially as the technology progresses. Who knows? Maybe one day they'll be 3D printing hearts for transplants with these things.
Yeah this will be something amazing in the near future and why I want my kids involved. I believe heart valves are already being printed

Best get the software to print firearms before they come for that as well.

Can high capacity magazines be 3D printed or does having that software put your freedom at risk? I’m a huge 2A supporter, but certainly am not an expert.

In my experience the printed magazines or clips tend to fail or have issues.

Reactions: Orangeslice13

VN Store

Back